Sunday 16 November 2008

Library challenge

I'm going to be careful about the book challenges I take on next year, only doing those that are flexible and that really suit me. Obviously, I will probably do Carl's challenges as those are a 'must' for me. Other than those though I have two finishing at the end of this year... and then only have one left - the Awards challenge which finishes in June. When I read about a new challenge that BooksPlease is doing for 2009 I considered several things; does it suit me? Have I time for it? Is it flexible? Answering 'yes' to all of those questions I really think I must take this one on.



Yes... it's a library book challenge! And it's being hosted by J. Kaye's Book Blog.

There will be three sizes of challenges.

** The first is to read 12 books from your local library in 2009.
** The second is to read 25 books from your local library in 2009.
** The third is to read 50 books from your local library in 2009.

You decide which one of the three challenges is best for you.

Here are the guidelines:

1) You can join anytime as long as you don’t start reading your books prior to 2009.

2) This challenge is for 2009 only. The last day to have all your books read is December 31, 2009.

3) You can join anytime between now and December 31, 2009.


My aim will be to read 25 books. So far this year I've read 18 books from the library so a total of 25 in 2009 should be achievable. Really looking forward to this fun challenge.

Books read for this challenge:

1. In the Woods - Tana French
2. The Jewel of Seven Stars - Bram Stoker
3. Runemarks - Joanne Harris
4. The Valley of Secrets - Charmian Harris
5. Remember Me? - Sophie Kinsella
6. Larklight - Philip Reeve
7. The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman
8. The Sedgemoor Strangler - Peter Lovesey
9. Morrigan's Cross - Nora Roberts
10.The Good Thief - Hannah Tinti
11.Touchstone - Laurie R. King
12.The Circle - Peter Lovesey
13.Last Rituals - Yrsa Sigurdardottir
14.Snow Blind - P.J. Tracy
15.Grey Souls - Philippe Claudel
16.Trains and Buttered Toast - John Betjeman
17.Skulduggery Pleasant - Derek Landy
18.The Terracotta Dog - Andrea Camilleri
19.Endless Night - Agatha Christie
20.Inspector Ghote's First Case - H.R.F. Keating
21.A Christmas Journey - Anne Perry
22.Good Behaviour - Molly Keane
23.Relics - Pip Vaughan-Hughes
24.The Coffin Trail - Martin Edwards
25.No Such Thing as Dragons - Philip Reeve

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

6 comments:

BooksPlease said...

I'm going to be careful too about the challenges next year. I have a tendency to get enthusiastic when I read about them and want to do them, but when it actually comes down to reading a particular book at a particular time I find that's not want I want to read! And I don't like reading to deadlines.

The Library Challenge is perfect for me as I borrow so many books from my local library anyway. I've also decided to do What's In a Name (2) Challenge, because that helps me get to my unread books. I enjoy Carl's challenges and they're only for a short period of time so I expect I'll do another RIP challenge next October.

monix said...

I am not disciplined enough in my reading habits to complete a challenge, Cath. This one appears to be achievable even for me but would I fit in at least 12 more books when my TBR mountain is so high and I have a birthday and Christmas looming? Oh dear, I shall have to think hard!

DesLily said...

the only challenges I have ever joined are Carls, and of the Fantasy one and RIP, well RIP is out of my comfort zone, but have found that Gothic mysteries are good..but finding "good ones" isn't always easy. Fantasy, on the other hand is a "no brainer" for me since it is most of what I read anyway. But as easy as they are I still find that I push myself to get them read even sooner than needed so that I don't "have to" read certain things. I have this "habit?" ..when I commit to something I become single minded and push myself until it's done.. and that "push" does tend to take away from the enjoyment.

This did work well when I had a job lol.. even if I was told that I had all day to do something I had to get it done as quickly as possible so I didn't have to think about it anymore. Weird, I know. Over the years I went from, "do it now before I forget to do it at all".. to.. "being obsessed to get it done and over with so I don't have to worry about it anymore"

Ana S. said...

It's a great idea for a challenge, isn't it? If my local library was better stocked I would definitely join. Best of luck with it, Cath!

Anonymous said...

Greetings! Just wanted to drop by and officially welcome you to the challenge. I am so glad you decided to join us!!

Cath said...

Booksplease: yes, exactly the same thing happens to me. I have a wonderful time choosing the books and then find that the pile sits there untouched because, like you, I'm not fond of reading to a deadline.

This library challenge will work differently though and as I already use the library a lot it doesn't involve a change of habit. Same with Carls' challenges - I already read a fair bit of fantasy and horror so no problem there.

It's dilemma, Monix, I quite agree. But I use the library a lot already and usually manage 20 or so books from it a year so I'm not even going to have to be that disciplined to complete this one.

I think that's actually quite a good habit, Pat... to push yourself to finish challenges early. Then you haven't got them hanging over you. But I understand what you mean when you say it can take away from the enjoyment. It would make the whole thing a bit stressful I would think. This library challenge will be what you call a 'no brainer' for me though as I'm in and out of the library all the time anyway and usually manage about 20 library books a year.

Thanks, Nymeth. Yes, this kind of challenge is no good to do if your local library isn't that great. Ours is pretty good, plus I sometimes use the city library in nearby Exeter.

Thanks, J Kaye. I'm so looking forward to this challenge as I believe in using libraries if it's possible to do so. I know for some people it's not possible of course. Thanks for hosting the challenge.