Tuesday 24 November 2009

Terry Pratchett 2010 challenge

Well, here's my second challenge for 2010. I ummed and ahhhed over it for a little while, mainly because I was trying to avoid taking on too many challenges for next year but, well, a Terry Pratchett challenge is a bit of a no-brainer for me. Every year I read something by him - this year it was his Bromeliad trilogy - and I still have quite a few of his books that I haven't read. Doing this challenge will get me caught up a bit. See how easily I talk myself into these things???

Anyway, this challenge is being run by Marg at Reading Adventures and her challenge post is here.



I love that button to bits!

The challenge runs from the 1st. Dec. 2009 to the 30th. Nov. 2010. There are several different levels of participation and I'm going for:

6-8 books - Academic at the Unseen University

You can either be reading the books for the first time, rereading, or even watching the TV adaptations if you like! As long as everyone has fun I will be happy! Please also do not feel limited to only reading the Discworld books as any books by Terry Pratchett will count for this challenge.

I don't think a list is required but a few Pratchett books I'd like to read include:

Night Watch (21st. Dec.)
Thud!
The Colour of Magic
The Light Fantastic
Soul Music
Making Money
Unseen Academicals
The Last Hero
Nation
Sourcery
Eric
The Last Continent

And a reread of Carpe Jugulum would be nice, perhaps double it up for the R.I.P. challenge in the autumn. And I would also love to reread Good Omens.

Thanks to Marg for hosting this one, I'm looking forward to getting started.

10 comments:

DesLily said...

dumb question: don't his books have to be read in a certain order???

Cath said...

Hi Pat! It's not a dumb question at all, it's actually a valid one. The thing is, when you start reading his Discworld books people often suggest you don't read the first 2 books first but start on book 3. This is because he hadn't got into his stride when he wrote those and they're maybe not as good. So I've never read them. Then I have about 4 or 5 books at the end that I haven't got to yet, and a few odd ones that I never did read. And Nation is not a Discworld book at all but very good I hear. If I complete this one it'll be quite a few books off my tbr pile.

DesLily said...

i don't know what my reading problem is lately but I am reading a book that I AM enjoying yet don't seem to be able to read more than 1 or 2 chapters a day.. i am wondering if I should have stayed a while longer with the gothic stuff? I am reading Fire. the prequel to Graceling which i really enjoyed and love this character of Fire ..it's very absorbing! just not with it I guess

Cath said...

Hi Pat, yeah there are times I can't settle to a book too... sometimes after I've had a string of good ones and then decide to try something different. So it could be you should have stayed with the Gothic ones.

I've seen a couple of reviews of Fire recently and those people seemed to like it. I must get around to searching for Graceling in the library.

=Tamar said...

If you've read The Science of Discworld, there is a scene in there that relates to a line in one of the first two books. The key word is "comet". I've read them all, and I find that I can now see the seeds of the later greatness in the first two.
I may be projecting, but I like them better that way.

Cath said...

=Tamar: you have me really intrigued now and wondering what the 'comet' connection means. I haven't read The Science of the Discworld, no, (I'm probably more of a Nanny Ogg's Cookbook sort of person ;-)) but it's on my radar.

Having now read an awful lot of Terry's work I think I really ought to go back and read those first two books. Rincewind tends not to be my favourite character, so I've been a bit reluctant, but it's time.

Do you have a blog I can visit?

Marg said...

Thanks so much for joining in on my Terry Pratchett challenge! I am looking forward to reconnecting with his books!

Cath said...

Marg: my pleasure, I'm so looking forward to starting this one.

Kailana said...

I am joining in, too. Glad to see you are!

Cath said...

Kailana: Wonderful! This will be a fun challenge I know it... look forward to reading your reviews.