Monday 26 August 2013

R.I.P. VIII

I've been a bit AWOL from this blog for a few weeks. Partly this is due to being busy but also this tends to happen to me quite often in August. I keep reading, but am not enthused to blog very much. My enthusiasm tends to return in September with the advent of Carl's R.I.P. Halloween challenge... and it's here!

This year Carl has put the relevant post up early and the details are here. At long last it feels as though autumn is on the way, although to be fair it has felt that way in the UK for a week or so. I for one can't wait to get started on my creepy reading.


The kind of books to be read for this challenge are:

Mystery.
Suspense.
Thriller.
Dark Fantasy.
Gothic.
Horror.
Supernatural.
Or anything sufficiently moody that shares a kinship with the above. That is what embodies the stories, written and visual, that we celebrate with the R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril event.

The rules:

1. Have fun reading (and watching).
2. Share that fun with others.


I'll be doing:


Which is to: read four books, any length, that you feel fit (the very broad definitions) of R.I.P. literature. It could be King or Conan Doyle, Penny or Poe, Chandler or Collins, Lovecraft or Leroux… or anyone in between.

As usual I've chosen a pool of books and taken a photo. Why, I don't know, as I take about as much notice of them as I do the football results or wrestling. Perhaps it's better to travel hopefully than to arrive... In which case I must be a very hopeful traveller indeed. Whatever, here is my pool of books:


My owls look suitably alarmed by my choices, given the nature of the challenge. They include authors such as Wilkie Collins, M.R. James, Anthony Horrowitz, Andrew Miller, Benedict Jacka, and no challenge would ever be complete for me without a book or two by Terry Pratchett. I should also add that I have a number of books on my Kindle that are suitable as well.

Hope everyone doing this challenge has a great time, and thanks to Carl, as always, for hosting it and giving so many people such a lot of fun.

~~~oOo~~~

13 comments:

Danielle said...

I love this time of year, though summer has made a return and it's quite hot here right now (so typical!). I am ready for cool weather and long sleeves, but I am going to be sweating for a while it seems.... Part of the fun is seeing what books everyone else is reading--I love your photo--lots of good books there--I'm thinking of something by Wilkie Collins, too, though not sure which one. Pure--hadn't thought of that--I have it as well. Hope all is well with you, too

DesLily said...

you know I love Wilkie Collins so I hope you like what you read of his! I am going to give you a link to "little novels by Wilkie Collins" in case you want a short story or two: http://www.online-literature.com/wilkie-collins/little-novels/1/

I wish we had Fall here!

Cath said...

Danielle: Sorry to hear summer has returned where you are. It's warm again here but definitely with an autumn nip in the air. Having read the back cover of Pure it seemed suitable, but it will remain to be seen.

Pat: I'm pretty sure I'll love the Wilkie Collins. I'm even tempted to reread Drood before Christmas as I loved that so much. Thanks for the link. Have you put any of his short stories on your Nook? I think I put a few bits on my Kindle. Need to check.

Peggy Ann said...

Cath, I did this challenge a couple years ago when I first started blogging. I think I will do it again this year!

DesLily said...

LOL I am so glad to hear you are tempted to reread Drood! lol..we are true sisters LOL.. I read it twice already but it's a book I will never give away! .. I haven't been able to clear off Chris's information on the Nook to learn how to use it for myself. The neighbor was going to take me to Melbourne (two towns away) to the closest B&N as they will help do that for me but her circumstances turned so bad (her husband now has cancer) so I have not been able to get there ..I will eventually but not yet. I am reading All In ONe Basket :the Dutches of Devonshire at the moment..she's hysterical! I love her! LOL once done I will get started on RIP.

TracyK said...

I am joining up but haven't done the joining post yet. Maybe tonight. Your book options are definitely leaning more toward the supernatural than mine... I look forward to your reviews.

What cute crocheted owls. Did you make them?

samantha.1020 said...

Looks like you have lots of good reading ahead of you! Enjoy :)

Susan said...

Ghosts by Gaslight I have on my shelf to read, and Fated, too! I really enjoyed seeing your owls and the selection of books you have. Plus your humour that you might not read any of them, but other things instead! LOL. I will be posting tomorrow (it's very late here tonight), I was looking to see what other people have before doing my final list up (ha! it's never final!) Enjoy the challenge, and whatever we end up reading, may it chill and delight us :-)

Cath said...

Peggy: I hope you do decide to do it, it's a lot of fun.

Pat: Yeah, Drood remains one of my all-time favourite books and I know I'll read it again at some stage. There's just so much in it that I know I'll get even more out of it than the first time.

I'm sure you'll get your Nook working at some stage. I'll see if Peter knows how to wipe previous info off...

I have All in One Basket and love it. The duchess is such a wonderful character. If you ever see her autobiography, Wait For Me! in a thrift shop, grab it, it's wonderful. You'll see why people think the De Luce sisters are based on the Mitfords.

TracyK: No, I didn't make my owls, Pat who has commented here made them for me. Aren't they adorable?

Samantha: Thank you, I hope you enjoy the challenge too if you're doing it.

Susan: My daughter tells me that Fated, and the books that come after, are good, so I really want to read that one.

Well, true to form, I have not started off with anything on the pile. LOL! I'm reading a book of short stories on my Kindle by Algernon Blackwood, a writer from the er... 1930s I *think*. He wrote a series of stories about a psychic investigator, John Silence, and I'm really enjoying them. Also started one of Peter's books, The Woods by Harlen Coben, which may or may not be suitable for RIP.

Look forward to your post. I'm sure we'll all enjoy the challenge, we usually do.

Kailana said...

Lots of good looking books there! I haven't read a Pratchett in ages. I wonder if I have anything you have to get me back in the groove... Enjoy!

Carl V. Anderson said...

Mmmmm...intriguing book photo!!!

I'll be interested to see what you decide to read. I often make lists and then ignore them myself, lol! Although I've at least read one already that is on my list of potential reads, so it is a good start.

Thanks for taking part again this year, hope whatever strikes your fancy perfectly embodies the season.

Cheryl @ Tales of the Marvelous said...

I love your double-stack of books--and your alarmed owls! Have fun reading! :)

Cath said...

Kailana: I can't seem to be able to do one of Carl's challenges without reading something by Terry Pratchett. LOL! I hope you manage to get back into the groove.

Carl: Glad I'm not the only one re: the book lists. But I am determined to get at least a couple of books off this pile. That said, I've also finished my first book and it wasn't off this pile... it was off *a* tbr pile - my husband's! LOL.

Cheryl: Thank you... it's all about having fun. :-)