Wednesday 18 January 2017

Where Are You Reading?

Hmm.. I think I said I would only be doing two challenges this year. Famous last words. I saw this on Bev's blog and can't resist it because it's all about places and where books are set. I love the idea of it and can't resist having a go.


This one is all about places. There's one about states but this one counts cities, countries, and fictional locations too. Read a book set in a location for each letter of the alphabet. West Virginia only counts for W, Bowling Green only counts for B, but the Pern series by Anne McCaffrey that is on a fictional planet counts as P ;-)

The sign up post is here: Where are you Reading? and is being hosted by Book Dragon's Lair.

You don’t need a blog to participate. Feel free to link to a Goodreads shelf or another public profile where everyone can see your books.

There is one hard rule, one just for general courtesy, and several guidelines. There are no levels, unless you want to do a second set of letters.

Hard Rules
The book in question must have an ISBN or equivalent. If you can buy it or borrow it, it counts -

General Courtesy
When you sign up in the linky, put the direct link to your post. That way we can find it.

Guidelines

1. You can list your books in advance or as you read them. You can also change your list.

2. Any format, any genre or length of book counts but it must be the complete book, individual books in a collection do not count separately.

3. Anyone can join, you don’t need to be a blogger, just let me know in the comments.

4. Reviews are not necessary but a list of books you read is. There will be a link up for reviews if you wish to post them. You can make a list of books you want to read and change them if you'd like.

5. Crossovers for other challenges count.

6. Books started before January 1st, 2017 don’t count - unless you start over. ;-)


My list:

A: (Alaska, USA) Blood Will Tell - Dana Stabenow (January '17)

B:

C: (Cote D'azur, France) Jacquot and the Fifteen - Martin O'Brien

D: (Danube, The) The Willows - Algernon Blackwood. (January '17)

E:

F: (France) Jacquot and the Master - Martin O'Brien (January '17)

G:

H:

I:

J:

K:

L: (Lewis - The Outer Hebrides, Scotland) The Lewis Man - Peter May (January '17)

M: (Minnesota, USA) The Lost Girls - Heather Young

N: (New York, USA) Maigret in New York - Georges Simenon (January '17)

O:

P: (Philadelphia, PA, USA) The Signature of All Things - Elizabeth Gilbert (February '17)

Q:

R:

S:

T:

U: (Utah, USA) To Helvetica and Back - Paige Skelton

V:

W: (Wisconsin, USA) Way Station - Clifford D. Simak

X:

Y:

Z:


I can see that some letters will be more difficult than others but hey, nothing ventured... and it sounds like so much fun.

6 comments:

Book Dragon said...

Welcome to the challenge! Good luck with your reading.

Nan said...

So much fun!

Val said...

You have introduced me to Jacquot! and I romped through the first book and really enjoyed it THANK YOU! So I could join this challenge and tick off M for Marseilles ..I have Master on my ereader lovely ..A French ex Rugby player detective ...who could resist? lol (He writes well doesn't he)

Cath said...

Blue Dragon: Thankyou.

Nan: I hope so. :-)

Val: I'm *so* pleased that you liked the first Jacquot book. I think book 2 - The Master - was even better. I have The Fifteen on order from the library and The Angel on my bookshelf. Yes... you could join this challenge and tick off M for Marseilles. Sadly, I read that first one last year so can't. LOL! He writes really, really well. Reminds me of Mark Douglas-Home who writes the Sea Detective stories so brilliantly.

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

Hi Cath,

I definitely agreed with myself that there would be no challenges again this year, but this one is rather tempting. There are several similar challenges out there, so I may need to trawl around a bit and see what's what!!

I am also going to see if I can track down what you thought about the Dana Stabenow book, as I have one of hers in my TBR pile, but I have to keep putting it to the back of my pile after reading just a few pages. I will go back to it one day - perhaps it is just my mood at the time!

Enjoy the challenge and I hope you get to read some great books :)

Yvonne

Cath said...

Hi Yvonne. I had definitely decided to just do two, Mount TBR and the Scottish one. But this looked like it would be fun and very easy as most books are set 'somewhere' and even fictional places are allowed. The only ones you might not be able to place are the sort where the setting is worldwide, someone travelling all over the place etc.

I'll talk about Dana Stabenow when I answer another of your comments.

Thank you... I think letters like X and Q could be tricky. LOL!