Tuesday 12 December 2017

What's In A Name 2018 challenge

I thought maybe I'd not do any reading challenges in 2018. And then... as shiny new ones for next year appeared on my blogging reading list... I thought again. In fact I haven't done What's in a Name? for at least four years so I thought I'd give it go next year and see how it goes.


The Challenge is being hosted by The Worm Hole and the sign-up post is HERE.


The basics

The challenge runs from January to December. During this time you choose a book to read from each of the following categories.


The word ‘the’ used twice. (I have The Book of the Grail by Charlie Lovett.)

A fruit or vegetable. (I have The Olive Tree by Carol Drinkwater).)

A shape. (I have The Cheltenham Square Murder by John Bude)

A Title that begins with Z (an be after ‘The’ or ‘A’). (I have nothing but I haven't had a proper look yet.) Suggested title, The Z Murders by J. Jefferson Farjeon.

A nationality. (I have The French Riviera by Ted Jones.)

A season. (I have One Summer: America 1927 by Bill Bryson.)


As usual I’ve tried to include some easy categories and some not so. Remember the titles I’ve given here are only examples, you can by all means use them if you want to but it’s not necessary. There are plenty of other books that will fit the categories and you may have some in mind already or even some on your shelves you can read.


Extra information

Books can be any format (print, audio, ebook). It’s preferred that the books don’t overlap with other challenges, but not a requirement at all.

Books cannot overlap categories (for instance my example of The Square Root Of Summer could be used for ‘a shape’ or ‘a season’ but not both).

Creativity for matching the categories is not only allowed, it’s encouraged!

You don’t have to make your list of books beforehand, you can choose them as you go.

You don’t have to read your chosen books in any particular order.

~~~~~


The books I've chosen may change... plus I don't have one for the Z anyway. *But* I think it would be a useful thing to read those five books and get them off my tbr pile so I'll do my level best to read some of them.

~~~oOo~~~


15 comments:

Val said...

Would "There's a Zoo in my Luggage" Gerald Durrell be pushing the limits I wonder ? lol

Literary Feline said...

You've got some good choices! I am glad you are taking part in What's In a Name. Good luck and happy reading!

Cath said...

Val: Well... LOL... I'm not sure. It might be, also I have read it, albeit about a hundred years ago. But it's an idea to keep in reserve.

Literary Feline: Thank you! I haven't done this in a while so I'm pleased to be doing it next year. This may be the only challenge I do next year to be honest as I'm a bit challenged out and want to free read in 2018.

BooksPlease said...

I'm still catching up reading blogs so I didn't know Charlie had posted about next year's challenge. I'll be taking part - I've been doing it so long I'd miss it if I didn't. And it's only six books. On your list I've read John Bude's book and also have but haven't read The Olive Tree, so that will be on my list too. I'm going to look at what I have that will fit the categories.

BooksPlease said...

Oops - I've just checked and the book I have is The Olive Readers!

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

No challenges for me in 2018 I'm afraid.

In fact I am even debating the Goodreads 'Number Of Books Read' meme, although that is one I enjoy.

I want to get my reading levels back on track in 2018, but I want to do it at my own pace, with my aim being to remove some of the books I have had sat in my TBR pile for months and sometimes years!

I too, took part in the 'What's In A Name' challenge several years ago now, but it sounds as though you have got right back into the swing of things, with some great title possibilities for the different categories.

So long as you enjoy yourself that's the main thing and if you have to bend the rules a little, then so be it :)

Yvonne

TracyK said...

I have been so tempted by challenges already. Right now I have signed up for one TBR challenge and plan to do Bev's TBR challenge. But I am trying to resist others.

Peggy Ann said...

Debating about this one. For sure doing two Mystery based challenges but afraid to get myself tied up too much and have reading feel like a chore. Just six books shouldn’t be too hard though.

Cath said...

Margaret: I'm thinking that I'm not capable of going challenge free... LOL! But I don't intend to do very many. Possibly one more. Can't make up my mind about Mount TBR this year. Getting terribly indecisive in my old age.

Yvonne: I can't say I blame you for not doing any challenges. I've thought seriously about it myself. Reading at your own pace sounds very attractive at the moment, especially as I'm doing jigsaws and that cuts into reading time. You have to do what you enjoy when you feel like it in your spare time, otherwise what's life for?

Tracy: They're so hard to resist aren't they? I might do one other but still haven't made up my mind about Mount TBR yet.

Peggy: I think you've hit the nail on the head when you say that you don't want to get too tied up and have reading feel like a chore. That's exactly how I'm feeling and am determined not to do this in 2018.

BooksPlease said...

Cath, I'm still dithering about Mount TBR 2018 too - it's not the reading, it's writing the reviews, as sometimes I just don't want to write about a book and I feel obliged if it's a TBR.

Cath said...

Margaret: At the moment I'm dithering in favour of not doing it. That's exactly it, you've hit the nail on the head, it's doing all the reviews. Even though I only signed up for 12 this year it still felt like a chore. I'm thinking I'll do a couple of short challenges and leave it at that. The European one I did two years ago appeals again or I may keep an eye out for something else that sounds interesting.

TracyK said...

That is funny, Cath. That European Reading Challenge is the one that I am really attracted to this year. It is really hard to not read books from a few European countries, so it should be easy but remembering to link up is always my problem.

Cath said...

Tracy, that is so funny! Apparently I last did that one last year, I thought it was two years ago. I did Greece, Italy, Scotland, France and Norway and thoroughly enjoyed the armchair travelling. It would be nice to do it and read about some more unusual countries.

Nan said...

Tom read the One Summer book. If you read it and write about it, I'll be sure to have him come read your post.

Cath said...

Nan: I plan to try and read it. I got it free in the summer at my town's lit fest. I grabbed it because I've enjoyed all the Bill Bryson books I've read. He's one of the few authors who can reduce me to tears of laughter. I did think his last book was a little too bad tempered though... but still good.