Monday 17 May 2021

20 Books of Summer

 

Most summers I see various people doing the 20 Books of Summer (the sign-up post is there) reading challenge but have never attempted it myself. I thought this year I would join in and see how far I can get with it. 

It's being hosted by 746 Books and the aim is to list 20 books of your own choosing and see if you can read them between the 1st. June and the 1st. September. 

There aren't many rules, you can drop a book if you like, or drop your number from 20 to 15 or 10, whatever suits you. Follow the link to the challenge site to for a complete list. 

So anyway, without further ado, these are my 20 books.

1. Persuasion - Jane Austen

2. The Shell Seekers - Rosamunde Pilcher

3. Washington Black - Esi Edugyan

4. The Giver of Stars - Jojo Moyes

5. The Book Collectors of Daraya - Delphine Minoui

6. The Path to the Sea - Liz Fenwick

7. The Towers of Trebizond - Rose Macaulay

8. The End of the Road - Jack Cooke

9. Wanderers - Keri Andrews

10. Off the Map - Alistair Bonnet

11. Faring to France on a Shoe - Val Poore

12. A Borrowing of Bones - Paula Munnier

13. The Mauritius Command - Patrick O'Brian

14. A Quiet Life in the Country - T.E. Kinsey

15. One Summer in Crete - Nadia Marks

16. The Other Bennet Sister - Janice Hadlow

17. Through Siberia by Accident - Dervla Murphy

18. People Missing in the Woods - Steph Young

19. The Stranger Diaries - Elly Griffiths

20. My Lemon Grove Summer - Jo Thomas

 

OK, so I doubt I'll manage to read all of those in 3 months. I certainly think 10 is doable though and who knows, maybe more. I've tried to be careful in my choices, choosing books I'd planned to read fairly soon anyway, and a good mix of fiction and non-fiction, real books and Kindle reads. Plus, I've attempted to list lighter reads rather than anything deep or depressing, though it could be argued that People Missing in the Woods will not exactly be light-hearted. And of course, it wouldn't be me if there wasn't a load of travelling going on in most of the books (not all).

 Anyway, whatever happens... it ought to be fun, didn't it?


20 comments:

Travellin' Penguin said...

I'd love to reread the Shell Seekers. Read it years ago and loved it. Wonder if I still would enjoy it now. Good luck with your quest๐Ÿง๐Ÿ˜„๐ŸŽˆ

cathy746books said...

Ooh, there are some great books on your list! Delighted you are taking part. Good luck and happy reading!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Cath, I had a feeling you would find it hard to resist making your own list LOL - I've only read Giver of Stars from your list but, I liked it a lot.

DesLily said...

LoL you never can resist a challenge! lol.. That's My Sis!!!

Cath said...

Pam: It's a source of constant shame to me, a Cornish woman, that I've never read The Shell Seekers, so I need to put that right. LOL

Cathy: Thank you. I tried to be careful what I chose so that I would still want to read them in 3 months time.

Diane: And you were right, I couldn't resist. LOL Yep, I remember you liking The Giver of Stars.

Pat: I think I was born without the challenge resisting gene. LOL

Sam said...

That's a well planned reading schedule, Cath. I've read three of them and enjoyed all of them: Persuasion, Washington Black, and The Book Collectors of Daraya. I see that you were looking for diversity in the list, and I guarantee you that you've found it with these three.

Ellie said...

I enjoyed Washington Black and Giver of Stars. Good luck with your summer reading!

TracyK said...

What a nice list. Topped by Persuasion, my favorite Jane Austen novel. The books that I am not familiar with will be interesting to hear about.

I am working on my list. I have 23 on the list and am having a hard time cutting down to 20... which is silly when I probably won't read them all anyway. HMS Surprise by O'Brian will be on my list for sure. I had hoped to read it this month, but The Mirror and the Light by Hilary Mantel has been a very slow read for me, and I have not read much else this month.

Lark said...

It's definitely a fun reading list! I haven't figured out the books I most want to read this summer, but I've been thinking about it. There are series I want to either finish, or start. And some books that have been on my Goodreads "want to read" list for way too long that I finally want to get to, but I'm still trying to decide where to begin. Good luck with your summer reading challenge! :)

Brona said...

Ohhh Persuasion - my favourite Austen!
I'm also hoping to fit in a Patrick O'Brian over my winter months.
Good luck with your first 20 book challenge :-)

Cath said...

Sam: Persuasion is a reread for me. I think I've read it twice but it's been well over 30 years since I last read it and I'm expecting to have a different experience with it than I did in my thirties. Yes, I definitely think I've managed some diversity!

Ellie: Yes, I think Washington Black and The Giver of Stars hold a lot of promise. Thank you, you too!

Tracy: Persuasion is a reread and I'm wondering if it too might become my favourite Austen. When I was younger it was always Pride and Prejudice but I suspect that may have changed.

Look forward to seeing your list! You will not be disappointed by HMS Surprise.

Cath said...

Lark: Thank you, I was aiming for fun and lots of armchair travelling. Good luck choosing your summer reading, it's not easy. LOL

Brona: Yes, Persuasion seems to be favourite with a lot of people. When I was young my favourite was always Pride and Prejudice but once I finish my reread of Jane Austen I think that might change.

Good luck fitting in a Patrick O'Brian, always worth it in my opinion.

Thank you!

Margaret @ BooksPlease said...

I'm glad to see you decided to do this. You've got a nice selection - I've read two, Persuasion and The Stranger Diaries. I think Persuasion is one of my favourites of hers - I read it for A Level and still loved it! My other favourite is Pride and Prejudice.

Good luck - I hope you get to read a lot of them, if not all 20!

CLM said...

I have read a few of these and own a few more that are unread. Some are pretty heavy going, but your variety is excellent.

I have had a copy of that JoJo Moyes on my windowsill since before the pandemic. Maybe I will read it when you do! My mother liked it although felt the American editor should have pointed out some English colloquialisms that would not be used by someone in Kentucky.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

You have created a great list and if you get ten read, wonderful. Good luck!

I'm hoping to read twenty of my 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up.

Cath said...

Margaret: I've been tempted on several occasions but was worried about taking on too much. This year I thought, 'What the heck? Go for it.' Persuasion is a reread for me and I'm so looking forward to doing that.

Thank you!

Constance: Yes, I think one or two will be quite heavy going but that's fine. I hope... ;-)

It would certainly be fun to read A Giver of Stars at the same time as you. I'll make sure I let you know when I'm thinking of reading it. I always find it odd when authors don't bother to get an American or the reverse - an English person - to check their books for colloquialisms when they're setting them in another country. With social media it's not like there would be a shortage volunteers!

Deb: Thanks. I certainly hope to get at least ten read, hopefully a few more. I'll check out your post later. Thanks for stopping by.

Susan said...

I've read a couple of these. A BORROWING OF BONES was just okay for me. I really liked THE STRANGER DIARIES, though. I'll be interested to see which of these books you end up reading and what you think of them.

Cath said...

Susan: I'm hoping to read both of those, mainly because I don't have many mysteries on the list so I'll get withdrawal if I don't read those two. LOL!

Carl V. Anderson said...

I need to get around to reading Persuasion one of these days. I have a couple of lovely editions of the book and the more recent adaptations starring Sally Hawkins is one of my favorite Austen screen adaptations.

Cath said...

Carl: Persuasion is wonderful. This will be my 3rd. read of the book I think. I reread Emma earlier in the year and fell in love with it all over again.