Tuesday 9 August 2022

Three crime titles

So, I'm on a mini crime reading binge at the moment, possibly due to the fact that I didn't read many murder mysteries last month and, feeling the lack, I'm making up for it in August.

So, first up, The Postscript Murders by Elly Griffiths which is the second book in her 'Harbinder Kaur' series. 

Shoreham is a seaside town on the south coast of England that plays host to quite a few retirement homes and complexes. Ninety year old Peggy Smith lives in one of the more expensive ones, keeping an eye on what goes on, making notes about people who go past on the prom etc., because this is what she's been used to doing all her life. When she's found dead in her flat no one thinks it's odd, she was very elderly after all. But Nakalka, one of the carers who comes in daily to see to her, is not happy and manages to convince DS Harbinder Kaur that Peggy might've been murdered. After all, Peggy's calling card has on it, 'Murder Consultant' and various murder mystery books in her flat have the dedication, 'To Peggy, thank you for the murders'... So this was 'huge' fun. And what was the most fun in my mind was the group of whacky individuals who set about investigating Peggy's demise together. There's Nakalka, the Ukrainian carer, Benedict the ex-monk and Edwin the ex-BBC employee, who was a friend of Peggy's and is himself quite elderly. Harbinder has to contend with this motley crew as she tries to discover whether Peggy was indeed murdered, and if so 'why?' I believe Elly Griffiths wrote this as a homage to crime writing, editors, bloggers, crime conventions, book signings, and it shows. It's a delight and as always Griffiths has her characterisations spot-on. Plus, it twists and turns like I don't know what as various crime writers become involved and under suspicion. Great stuff, I gave it a 5 on Goodreads.

Next, something completely different, Pride and Prescience by Carrie Bebris. This is part of my current Jane Austen 'thing', which started with 'Jane Austen July' and continues on because I loved it so much.

Jane and Lizzie Bennet have just got married and Caroline Bingley uses their wedding day, somewhat inappropriately, to announce her bethrothal to an American, Mr. Parrish. They marry but it's not long before Caroline's family start to notice some rather strange behaviour in her. It seems she's going downhill, mentally, and the family have a concerned conflab about what to do. Mr. Parrish wants to take her off to Louisana but the family are having none of it and it's decided to retire to Netherfield where it's quieter than London and the hope is that she might make a full recovery. Naturally, she doesn't, (well you all knew that) and things go from bad to worse. Attempts are made on people's lives by persons unknown and there's also a certain amount of weirdness in the shape of a Professor Randolph who has been called in by Parrish and believes in and studies the occult. Darcy is skeptical about it all but Lizzie is not so sure... Well this was also great fun. I don't think it's strictly necessary to have read Pride and Prejudice before you read it but it would help I feel. I felt that the author made a really good stab at keeping such iconic characters 'in character', only occasionally did I think the dialogue was not quite right for the time or country. But really this was an excellent mystery yarn, very pacey, I could easily see who the villain of the peace was but it didn't spoil my enjoyment at all. This is book 1 in Carrie Bebris's 'Mr. and Mrs. Darcy' murder mystery series and I liked it enough to read on... there are 7 books in all I believe. 

Lastly, and this is even 'more' different, Naked in Death by J.D. Robb (Nora Roberts of course). 

Eve Dallas is a homicide detective in a futuristic New York. 2058 I think it is. Someone is knocking off high-class prostitutes, shooting them with guns which are now outlawed in the USA. One of the women killed was the grand-daughter of a senator who has chosen to leave her family behind and become a high-class call girl. It's because of this that Eve is assigned to the case and all is kept hush-hush. When another woman, very young, is killed all secrecy goes out of the window. During the course of her investigations Eve meets Rourke, a very wealthy business man. He's a suspect but she can't deny the physical attraction she feels for him and he sees a vulnerable woman with a lot of secrets and, loving a challenge, wants to know what she's hiding. Well. This is a 'hugely' popular series by Nora Roberts, writing as J.D. Robb. It's 50 + books long and plenty of people have read the lot! I found it very pacey, exciting, I enjoyed it but I had an idea who the culprit was and was partly right. I'm not a great fan of a lot of sex in my crime novels and this has quite a bit. If that's not your thing this might not be for you. I was also not certain how much I liked Rourke. I didn't feel he made much of an effort to understand Eve's considerable problems as a New York police detective, I felt he put his own desires first and his aggressive pursuit of her did not sit well with me. I, however, am old and cynical - your mileage may vary. Will I read any more? I honestly don't know. I found this in a bunch of books my cousin gave me and I'm not sure I have the stamina to search out 50 books and try to read them all in order. On the other hand, the world building was interesting enough for me to be intrigued as to where these books go. Hmm, decisions, decisions. 

So, three good crime mysteries. My favourite would definitely be The Postscript Murders, I loved its quirky Britishness and homage to crime writing, but all three were good in their own way. Happy reading! 

 

19 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

You have certainly picked some fun sounding books Cath. I've never read Elly Griffiths yet own a few of her books. The Postscript Murders really appeals to me and wondering what first book in series is and whether you need to read that one fist? I hope your next group of reads is just as satisfying. BTW - Thank Roberts/Robb book really sounds different from what I've read by her.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Cath, this is how bad I am with not knowing which books I own. I actually have all (3) Elly Griffiths in that series Stranger Diaries, Postscript Murders and Bleeding Heart Yard - #3 releases in November here but I have an advance eGalley. Now I have no excuse to read these - they sound great

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

'The Postscript Murders' is already on my 'wish list', from one of your earlier posts where you mentioned it, so I'm looking forward to reading that one.

I thought I had read a couple of books from the J.D. Robb series, however I haven't marked them on any of the sites I use, so it must have been long before Fiction Books was 'born' and I'll have completely forgotten about them! I have read a couple of Nora Roberts books and found them quite predictable and, dare I say it, maybe even a little simplistic in their writing style. I might be tempted, like yourself, to try book #1 in the 'In Death' series and see if I can engage with the characters or storyline!

Lark said...

The Postscript Murders does sound like a fun one! I'm not sure I'd like Pride and Prescience; Caroline is not a favorite character and I don't always love the way other authors write Austen's characters, but maybe I'll check out one of Bebris's books just to see. :)

Margot Kinberg said...

Ooh, those look great, Cath. So glad especially that you enjoyed the Griffiths so well. I think she writes an excellent story, and I love her characters. I have to admit I've not started the Mrs. Darcy series, but you're not the first to tell me it's good. Sooo much to read and never enough time, is there?

Kay said...

Enjoyed hearing about your reads here, Cath! I have not yet read The Postscript Murders, but I own it. Soon I hope. I think there will be another book with Harbinder in the new year maybe. I have not read Pride and Prescience, but it does appeal to me. OK, I'm the big JD Robb fan and have read each and every book all 54 that are currently available. I do know that they will not be to everyone's taste for sure. All I will say about Rourke is that he will grow on you if you continue the series. He's a keeper for her for sure. As I said, may not be your 'cup of tea', but life would be dull if we all read exactly the same books, right? LOL

TracyK said...

As you say, three very different crime fiction titles.

I also liked Postscript Murders a lot. I liked all the characters, and I liked how the investigation was divided up between the police and Nakalka and friends. I am sure I will read the 3rd book when it comes out here.

I had not even heard of the Mr. and Mrs. Darcy mystery series by Carrie Bebris. I would consider giving it a try but I am behind in so many series already. The other titles in the series confuse me in how they would fit in with the Darcy's. If you continuing reading them I will be interested to hear more about them.

Usually I would like the premise of the Eve Dallas series, because of the near future setting, but I had a copy of the first book and sampled a bit of it and decided that it was too much sex for me. I know lots of people (in addition to Kay) who really like the series and the authors other series, however. So they must have something going for them.

Cath said...

Diane: I laughed at you not knowing what's on your shelves... I can totally empathise with that. LOL! I think it's a good idea to read book 1, The Stranger Diaries, first as it does set up the background of DS Harbinder Kaur. I think Nora Roberts has several writing styles, one for her Irish supernatural books, one for her standalones and one for this 'In Death' series. My preferance seems to be for her standalones which I think are better written and more interesting than the rest. 'But' I haven't read a lot of her writing so I'm maybe not the best judge.

Cath said...

Yvonne: I hope you enjoy The Postscript Murders when you get to it. I loved all its twists and turns and Elly Griffiths is such a good writer.

I think the thing is that we both have loads of books to read still and if you have a suspicion that Nora Roberts is not for you then I'd say stick with that and read something you know you'll like. Life's too short!

Cath said...

Lark: The Postscript Murders was very good, as are her Ruth Galloway books.

I hate Caroline Bingley too and by the looks of it so does Carrie Bebris because she doesn't half maul poor Caroline about. LOLOLOL! I'd say the series was worth a look but you know... so many books and all that. :-)

Cath said...

Margot: It was really nice to read three murder mysteries in a row and have all of them be very readable. That doesn't always happen as I'm sure you know. Elly Griffiths is a class act as a writer, and I would probably name her Ruth Galloway books as my favourite crime series. So much wonderful characterisation and amusing internal thoughts in those. I love them. Absolutely there's not enough time to read all you want to read and every year it gets worse as so many more good books come out. I think we're fighting a losing battle!!

Cath said...

Kay: Yes, I think book 3 of Griffths's HK seires is out next year. I'm looking forward to it. To my mind the Carrie Bebris P&P based series is nicely quirky enough to be worth a look. The plot was not particularly orginal but it was fun to see what she did with Elizabeth and Darcy becoming sleuths.

Yes, my eldest daughter is like you and has, I think, read all of the 'In Death' series, and I know others too. I can see why, and will probably read on if the library has book 2, we'll see. I am very intrigued. Yes, absolutely it would be boring if we all liked the same thing and that's the cool thing about blogging, when someone posts about books you hadn't thought of reading and when you do, you're surprised that you like said book or it makes you really think about what you like and don't like. It's all good.

Cath said...

Tracy: Yes, I rang the changes somewhat! And now I'm reading another crime novel which is again completely different - Killing Trail by Margaret Mizushima.

I'm glad you like The Postscript Murders. I was very taken with Nakalka and her motley crew.

I'm not sure how Bebris fits Lizzie and Darcy into the other titles in the series either. I shall read on just to see how she does that. I will certainly report back.

Yes, the In Death series is 'hugely' popular. People say, 'Well, I don't really read Nora Roberts... but I love her In Death series!' And I can see why as it was well plotted and had a pacey, interesting plot too, and at no time did I want to stop reading. So, I will try to read on and maybe skim read the sex scenes as I did in this one. Again I will report back.

Cassie said...

Pride and Prescience sounds like a fun read... and Shoreham is not a place I would expect to find a murder mystery set, since I've been there a few times I might have to pick it up!

Cath said...

Hi Cassie, yes Pride and Prescience really was quite a fun read. We stayed in Arundel a few years ago but didn't make it to Shoreham or Brighton. At some stage we'll stay further along the coast in East Sussex or Kent and see that bit then. We saw a lot of the South Downs which I thought was stunning.

CLM said...

Roarke is definitely a love him or hate him character and he continues to do things he thinks are for the best (or for his own advantage) which causes stress between him and Eve. But the cherishing of her button is so appealing in a powerful man! I resisted this series quite a while (even when working for the publisher) because of the futuristic setting but really it's more like the Jetsons TV show than scifi. I have read about 20 in this series and find them quite enjoyable, although sometimes too graphic.

The publisher made her use the pseudonym for the first few books because (a) she writes too quickly and (b) they weren't sure if traditional romance fans would follow her to a futuristic series. But it was always a pretty loosely kept secret and soon both names were on the cover.

Cath said...

Constance: Thanks for your take on Roarke, he certainly is interesting. I'll see which other books I can find in the series. I have a feeling my daughter has a few so I can try more to see what I really think. Hard to make a proper judgement on a series after only one book.

Judith said...

Hi Cath,
I'm so glad you loved Postscript Murders, because I realized that after I said I really liked it, I was referring to her stand-alone published right before PM. So! Now that I'm straightened out, I've got this on my Up Front and Center List--to be read really soon.

Cath said...

Judith: LOL... I do things like that too. Now that you have that straight I do recommend Elly Griffiths' Harbinder Kaur series, the first one is The Stranger Diaries followed by this one, The Postscript Murders. And now there's another one due out soon I think.