Sunday 14 May 2023

A couple of crime novels

A couple of crime novels to review today and they could not be more different. One is set in 1920s India the other a modern dual-timeline mystery set in the Derbyshire Peak District in the UK.

First up, The Bangalore Detective Club by Harini Nagendra.

As the title implies, this book is set in the city of Bangalore in southern India. It's the 1920s and 19 year old, Kaveri, has moved to the city after marrying Ramu Murthy, a local doctor. It's a bit of a culture shock as all Kaveri ever really wanted was to study Maths and earn a place at college, which women are now allowed to do. She is fortunate though. Ramu likes having an intelligent wife and, for the times, allows her a lot of leeway. They're at a large dinner event one evening when a man is murdered. Kaveri has witnessed quite a lot of coming and going that night and finds herself drawn into the investigation, not at all against her will. There's a large cast of characters in what I suppose is a cozy crime series. Cozy isn't always my thing but I found the depiction of 1920s Bangalore to be absolutely fascinating. The author is Indian and lives there and this 'really' shows as we gets a warts and all description of a very crowded city with a lot of  poverty. I liked Kaveri who breaks all the rules about where she can go and what she can do as the wife of a quite well to do doctor. Said husband is a great character too, a man who appreciates his intelligent wife even if she can't cook. The neighbour, Uma Aunty, who aids and abets Kaveri and teaches her to cook in exchange for reading lessons is brilliant too and there's a very rich and varied cast of other well drawn extras. I did not guess the culprit until nearly the end as the whole thing was quite complicated. I liked this a 'lot'. It's book one in a new series and book two is just out I think. I'll definitely be getting it. 

Lastly, In Bitter Chill by Sarah Ward.

It's 1978 and two eight year old girls are walking to school. A car stops and a woman offers them a lift. Rachel Jones does not want to get into the car but Sophie Jenkins is quite happy to do so, so rather than leave her friend, Rachel gets in too. She is later discovered wandering along the road by a wooded area, Sophie is never seen again. Fast forward thirty years and Rachel is now a genealogist. She goes into shock when the police approach her to tell her that Sophie's mother has committed suicide in a local hotel. The local police are suspicious enough to reopen the case of the missing girl and D.I. Sadler is put in charge along with D.S. Palmer and D.C. Connie Childs. It's thought the 1978 investigation was actually pretty thorough but is it possible something was missed? Some weeks later another body, a murder this time, and there is a connection between the two dead people. Many old wounds and secrets are about to be revealed. This was one of those 'can't leave it alone' kinds of book. Written to make you want to keep reading and reading and I did, devouring it in two sittings. The Derbyshire Peak District in winter setting doesn't do it any harm as I know the area a bit and it's quite stunning there. But as well as that, I do like a family secrets story. Mixed with a police procedural where you don't know any more than the police and it can be a heady mix. You do need to pay attention as there are a lot of characters and keeping track of them all and where they fit in is not straightforward. But it's worth the effort for this well-written book with a lot of intricate layers. Character-wise I found D.I. Sadler a bit remote and unlikeable. Connie Childs, whom the series is named after, is more fleshed out but really the person I liked the most was the grown up Rachel Jones, searching for answers using her genealogist skills, but I don't think she's actually in any more of the novels. There are four books in the series anyway and now Sarah Ward has started a new one The Mallory Dawson Crime Series, the first book of which, The Birthday Girl, sounds excellent. I think this author is well worth keeping an eye on.


20 comments:

Lark said...

The Bangalore Detective Club is already on my TBR list; I'm glad to hear you liked it. It's one I'm eager to try. And In Bitter Chill sounds really good, too. Sarah Ward is not an author I've read before. More books for the TBR list! :D

Judith said...

Hi Cath,
It's been so very long since I've been in touch. A new and unusual year so far! I've posted about it. I'm writing to ask if you've thought about taking part in The Twenty Books of Summer. I had so much fun with it last summer, that I'm doing it again, though as my post communicates, I'm back at work and doubt I can complete 20 before Labor Day, September 4th! But who knows???
I'll be posting my list in the next 10 days or so, but was wondering if you would want to join in on the fun.
So sorry to have been so out of touch!
Sarah Ward's book is on my list, now!
Best wishes to you,
Judith

Margot Kinberg said...

Oh, I really liked The Bangalore Detective Agency Cath! I'm so very glad to hear you did, too. I thought the setting was beautifully done, and I liked the characters, too. I'm hoping the next will be good, too. As for In Bitter Chill, I think Sarah Ward is incredibly talented. She's got a great series building off from that one, and of course standalones and other work, too. I'm glad you've been discovering her work!

Fanda Classiclit said...

Ooh The Bangalore Detective Club sounds very fun!
I like cozy mystery, especially with interesting cultural background and relatable characters. I've read Vera Wong's Unsolicited Advice for Murderers recently, and loved it very much. So I think I'll love this one too.

CLM said...

I've read all four of the Connie Childs books and like them quite a bit. I hope you continue to read this series. Sadler becomes more human, as I recall. Unfortunately, I am guessing sales were poor because the fourth one was not published in the US (or at least I don't think so). I think that is why she began a new series, which I hope I can find. Now that Book Depository has closed down, I won't be buying as many books from the UK.

Terra said...

I like books set in India and mysteries and this one set in the 1920s sounds great.

TracyK said...

I thought I had read all four of Sarah Ward's Connie Childs series, but actually I don't think the fourth one came out in the US and I never got a copy. (I now see that Constance agrees it did not come out in the US. I agree that DI Sadler is a better character in later books) I should look for the fourth one. I am not sure about her latest series, it is about a serial killer and I don't usually read those.

Sarah has another two book series (historical gothic) under the name Rhiannon Ward. Set in 1925, Sussex, protagonist is a female photographer. I read the first one and it was pretty good but less my type of book.

I may give The Bangalore Detective Club a try. I like a book with a well-done foreign setting.

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

Just to pick up on something one of the previous commenters mentioned. I was quite shocked to learn that the Book Depository had closed down. It had been successfully operating since 2007 and was one of my original 'go to' sites when I first began blogging and before. Such a shame, but yet another sign of the times I guess!

I have a couple of those DC Childs mysteries on my Kindle, but confess that I have yet to read either of them. After all this time, am I ever likely to? - Who knows, but I shall definitely try, now that you have given them such a good write-up!

As the Harini Nagendra series is only two books in, they are definitely heading for my wish list, as I do enjoy 'Golden Age' mysteries and haven't read many from that period which are set in overseas territories.

Thanks for such a great post and enjoy your gardening now that some fine weather has finally arrived :)

Cath said...

Lark: LOL! I know... it's fatal visiting people's blogs isn't it... so many books you just have to get and read. But both these are pretty good!

Cath said...

Judith, hi, nice to see you around again. I was wondering about you I must admit, hoping all was well.

No, I'm not doing the 20 books of summer this year. I never seem to enjoy it as much as I think I will and the minute I write the list of 20 books I lose the will to read any of them. So no, but I hope you have a lot of fun doing it yourself.

Cath said...

Margot: Thank you, I thought the setting for the Bangalore book felt really authentic, it shows that the author lives there I think, or at least in India. I'm planning to read quite a lot of Sarah Ward's books, In Bitter Chill was quite the impressive debut.

Cath said...

Fanda: The cultural background in the Bangalore book is very strong indeed. It meant for me that it wasn't too much of a Cozy as it depicted a lot of deprivation and difficulties for women in getting educated. I bought the Vera Wong book recently and am looking forward to reading that.

Cath said...

Constance: Really good to hear that you've read all four of the CC books and enjoyed them. I definitely plan to read on. The Book Depositry closing is a touch catastrophic for their customers in the US. I know loads who are really upset about it. I sometimes bought from them too so I know how you feel. Any time I can help you with anything just shout.

Cath said...

Terra: I'm pleased to say that The Bangalore Detective CLub really is a very good read.

Cath said...

Tracy: I had no idea that Ward's Connie Childs books were so popular, loads of you seem to have read them. Oh, thanks for telling me about her other pen name, I didn't know anything about that. I'll look into it as I like Sussex as a setting, it's a very pretty county.

I like books with well-done foreign settings too, and the Bangalore one is very well done. And most people seem to have liked it.

Cath said...

Yvonne: I was shocked at the closure of The Book Depository too. Like you I used them occasionally but I really do feel for Americans who used it as a good source of British books. It's a real shame.

Well, there are only 4 books in the DC Childs series so it wouldn't take you long to catch up if you ever felt like trying one. Yes, there are only two in the Harini Nagrendra series and book 2 is only just out so you're hardly behind at all with those. The 1920s Indian setting is very attractive and different.

Yes, we're back in the garden now, seed sowing and watching the weeds grow! LOL

I hope you and D are keeping well.

Vallypee said...

Ooh! Both these sound good, Cath. I really like your review of both books and now want to add them to my already considerable tbr pile!

Cath said...

Val: I have to say, they were both excellent... it's nice and easy reviewing good books. :-)

Cathy said...

I'm glad you liked The Bangalore Detectives Club. I've read the second book in the series and enjoyed it, too. I'm hoping Kaveri will have plenty of future mysteries to solve.

Cath said...

Cathy: I was really pleased with The Bangalore Detective Club, I expected to like it but actually ended up liking it a lot more than I thought.