Saturday 14 October 2023

Three short reviews

Several books behind with reviewing, as is often the case, so without further ado, a few short reviews.

First, The Lost Bookshop by Evie Woods... my 13th. book for Susan's Bookish Books reading challenge.

So this is a dual timeline story told from three different points of view. There is Opaline who lives in the 1920s, a bright, educated young woman but at the mercy of her older brother who wants her to marry money to get him out of financial difficulties. Desperate, she flees to Paris where she gets a job in the famous bookshop, Shakespeare and co. Fast forward to the present day and Martha who lives in the Irish countryside, is also fleeing, this time from an abusive husband. She lands up in Dublin and lands a job as a sort of house-keeper to an elderly lady, Ms. Bowden. There she meets Henry, who is researching what he thinks is the missing manuscript of an unknown book that Emily Bronte may have written after Wuthering Heights. He's convinced that the empty space next to Ms. Bowden's house is the site of a mysterious 'lost' bookshop that only appears sporadically. The various stories of these three people intertwine as we find out more about what happened to them. I'm not a massive fan of dual timelines but these days they seem to be more and more prevalent so needs must and this one worked nicely for me, so I have no complaints. Both timelines kept my interest and it was fascinating to try and guess where the connections were. There's romance in this, 'lots' of bookish talk, a bit of magical realism which I like but I know not everyone cares for, and also a good dose of reality... the author puts her characters through it a bit, particularly Opaline. I enjoyed the book very much indeed, gave it 5 stars on Goodreads, and will look for more by the author.

Next, a non-fiction book, Outlandish by Nick Hunt.

So the author of this book, Nick Hunt, starts to wonder about landscape anomalies in Europe. Why is there a large patch of Arctic tundra in Scotland? Primeval forest in Poland and Belarus? Europe only has one true desert, The Tabernas in Spain, what's it like? And the steppes of Hungary, how do people live there? And how are all these landscapes affected by the huge changes brought about by us humans? He goes off to investigate so the book is split into four sections charting the various experiences he has. First of all I have to say that Hunt's writing is sublime. He transports you to landscapes so diverse from each other but has no trouble making you feel like you're actually there with him. Beautiful descriptions of his surroundings, fascinating stuff about the history of the countries he's in, geological facts, current events, the people he meets, it was a perfect book for me as I do love an author who meanders around all kinds of subjects and points of view. I had favourite sections: the tundra in Scotland and the forest in Poland. Not so interested in the Spanish desert, but it's all stayed with me nevertheless and I'm very keen to read more by Nick Hunt. He's written a book following in the footsteps of Patrick Leigh Fermor - Walking the Woods and the Water - which is already on my Kindle waiting for me. Another 5 star read. 

Lastly my October book for the Read Around the USA challenge, To the Bright Edge of the World by Eowyn Ivey, set in Alaska.

So, this was unusual in that it was a fiction book that, because it was written in the form of diaries and letters with occasional photos, felt like a non-fiction read. Colonel Allen Forrester is tasked with leading an expedition to the Wolverine river in Alaska with the idea of it being opened up to the wider world. With him goes his new wife, Sophie. She's an explorer at heart too but being a woman it's far more difficult to achieve and at the last minute she's unable to leave Vancouver and he goes without her. He is accompanied by a team of course, but truly has no idea of the hardships ahead and how much the indigenous peoples will affect his journey or test his beliefs in the real world. Sophie meanwhile, is also tested. I won't go into how as it involves spoilers but it is all rather painful: luckily she discovers a new interest which saves her. Another superb read... as I said, very much a fictional story in the manner of a non-fiction travelogue. There's disaster after disaster in the wilds of Alaska, but amazing descriptions of the wilderness landscape, the almost insurmountable difficulties of travelling over it and encounters with the native tribes. There is magical realism in this one again, involving the beliefs of the tribes, I liked that but some might not. Another really excellent read. 

So my current read is this: 

Inspired by the Polish and Hungarian section in Outlandish, my interest in Eastern Europe returned so I found Along the Enchanted Way by William Blacker on my Kindle. It recounts the author's time spent living in the Maramures region of northern Romania, an area where, at the time, the lifestyle was centuries old... very rural, of the forests and mountains, many old traditions alive and well, fascinating people. It's a wonderful book. 

Fictionwise, I've no idea what I want to read next, possibly something Victorian for the Booktube event, 'Victober'. 

I hope you're all keeping well and enjoying some good books this autumn (or spring if you're in another hemisphere.)


16 comments:

Lark said...

Both timelines in The Lost Bookshop appeal to me, but I want them to each be their own book! I wonder why so many authors think they need to write dual timeline novels these days. And I think I'm going to have to read Outlandish by Nick Hunt; that one appeals to me, too. :D

Margot Kinberg said...

You've had some really interesting reads, Cath! I'm not usually the biggest fan of magical realism, but The Lost Bookshop appeals to me. I do like a bookshop-themed story, and the characters sound interesting.

Kathy's Corner said...

Hi Cath, Very nice reviews and of the 3 books The Lost Bookshop interests me the most. Paris in the 1920's and the Shakespeare and Co bookshop such a great setting. Magical realism is a type of writing I don't know too much about but I want to be able to comprehend a novel, the characters, the plot. I don't like too much experimental writing in my novel.

DesLily said...

I can't remember if I read the Lost Bookshop.. or one like it! love you sis!

Cath said...

Lark: Yes, both the stories/timelines in The Lost Bookshop could easily have made up a whole book - especially that of Opaline. Outlandish was really superb, I finished it a week ago and am still thinking about it.

Cath said...

Margot: Bookshop themed books seem to be a real thing nowadays. I think it's an excellent development. The magical element in that book does not actually play a huge part, it's more the story of the two women and the difficulties they each face.

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

Whilst I don't mind a good dual timeline story, I'm not usually taken with magical realism. However, I have added 'The Lost Bookshop' to my wish list, as it sounds so good! Also, I have no real reason to shun the genre, given the book I am currently reading. I am about half way through 'Rouge' by Mona Awad and to be honest I'm not sure that I have much idea what is going on, or where the story is going to end, but the writing is just so good that I have no intention of giving up on it!

I do enjoy your 'potted' reviews, I must try to adopt your style if I am to ever make inroads into my TBR pile! :)

Cath said...

Kathy: Thank you. Yes, I was interested in the Paris bookshop too but sadly it didn't play a huge part in the book. A lot of books seem to have a bit of magical realism these days, suspect it's the latest 'thing' that editors suggest to authoprs to sell more books. Perhaps I'm being cynical. It didn't overwhelm this book though, it was more about the two women and their struggles.

Cath said...

Pat: Might be a book like it as I think The Lost Bookshoop is fairly new. Nice to see you around! xxx

Cath said...

Yvonne: The Lost Bookshop is not overwhelmed by the magical realism element, which I think is good. The two women definitely take centre stage... and the search for the manuscript. Good writing is 'such' a bonus, I forgive a lot for that.

I find I write very few long reviews these days. It seems I can say what I want to say in shorter ones and people seem to be ok with that. It also makes for a nice variety because I usually include two three very different books.

Hope you're having a good weekend... suddenly getting quite chilly!

Jeane said...

Sounds like some really good reads! I've had Outlandish on my TBR for a while now, and will be adding To the Bright Edge of the World onto my list! Sounds intriguing.

Sam said...

All three of those sound fascinating, Cath, especially the first two. You really turn up lots of books that appeal to me...maybe too many of them, in fact. You're dangerous. :-)

Cath said...

Jeane: Yes, I've had a run of decent reads, which is always nice. When you get to Outlandish I hope you like it as much as I did. The Bright Edge of the World was better than I expected due to my love of travel writing.

Cath said...

Sam: Yes, all three were excellent and it's always nice to have a run of good books like that. LOL... I've never been described as dangerous, that's a new one!

TracyK said...

Because you enjoyed The Lost Bookshop so much, I bought a Kindle edition. I could not tell if it was for me, but your enthusiasm plus a good price convinced me. You are doing so well on the Bookish Books challenge. I am happy with the number of books I have read for that, but I have not reviewed many of them.

I have put Outlandish on my wish list. I was waiting to see if you had more to say about it, and I am glad you enjoyed it so much. I think Glen might like it as well.

I will have to cogitate on To the Bright Edge of the World. I like the use of diaries and letters in fiction but the magical realism might not work for me. I know that there can be a wide variety in how it is used. I see that she also wrote The Snow Child. Have you read that?

Cath said...

Tracy: I think you will enjoy The Lost Bookshop, it's primarily about people and the magical realism element is not that large.

Outlandish was absolutely excellent and it does sound like Glen's sort of thing.

There does seem to be a wide variety of types of magical realism. The kind related in To the Bright Edge of the World is not unusual to hear about as regards Native American Indians and not at all 'new'. No, I haven't read The Snow Child but hope to grab it from the library at some stage.