Monday 28 January 2008

More short stories

I thought I would get briefly away from my usual fantasy or ghostly short stories and try something else for a change. These two stories come from The Penguin Book of Modern Women’s Short Stories edited by Susan Hill.



The first story in the collection is The Devastating Boys by Elizabeth Taylor (not the actress). I find it interesting to note when stories are written and this one is from 1972. It feels older. The story concerns Laura who is married to Harold. They have two children, Imogen and Lalage, who have grown up and flown the nest. Harold decides, after reading a newspaper article, that they should have two disadvantaged children for a two week holiday and that the two children should be both boys and black. He doesn’t consult Laura as to whether she really wants to do this, regardless of the fact that she is the one who will be looking after them. Thus, being a quiet, nervous sort of a woman, the start of the story finds her at the railway station feeling very apprehensive indeed…

I’m not really sure what the point of making the boys black was in this story. It seemed like it was just done for effect as at no point did their colour seem to have a lot of significance. To be honest, this is a story about a marriage. How some women can feel completely lost when their children leave home and how by doing something like this couple did, the woman and the whole marriage can change, perhaps not dramatically, but enough to make things better for all concerned. Interesting but not rivetting.

The second story, picked at random, was Summer Picnic by Elizabeth Jane Howard. Five pages long, at first glance it seems to be a simple story about a picnic. It’s not at all of course. You soon learn that three generations of women are here, one, Lalage, aged seventeen, exitedly awaiting something that’s going to happen, her mother and grandmother, remembering. That’s all I’m going to say. The story is a gem, short and sweet, but all you need to know is within these five pages.

I shall continue to read this anthology throughout the year. Susan Hill, the editor, is a favourite writer of mine (The Woman in Black etc.) so her choice of short stories is likely to appeal to me personally I feel. One coincidental thing… I’ve never before heard of the Christian name, ‘Lalage’, but there it was in two short stories picked at random. Where on earth did that originate and where did it go? You never hear it now. I feel a Google moment coming on…

8 comments:

DesLily said...

sometimes you have to wonder what goes through the writers mind when they do certain things... Glad you are getting some reading in, I know you are on the run quite a bit.. (I hate hospital visits and I get to do them often with my brother).. hope all is going well!

(did you get my email on roy dotrice?)

Cath said...

Hi Pat. Yes, I am managing some reading but it's hit and miss and I'm reading what I fancy instead of feeling that I have to read this or that.

My brother's operation is scheduled for tomorrow. I'm crossing fingers, toes, whatever, and hoping nothing happens to stop it going ahead.

No, I didn't get your e.mail about Roy Dotrice. Last one I got was the 17th. Jan. which I planned to answer probably Wednesday or maybe later today, depending on time.

Tara said...

The cover of this book is a very popular image. I have two books here at home with the same image on the cover!

monix said...

Did you look up Lalage, Cath? I see it is from the Greek for 'to prattle or babble', I don't know if that suits the characters in your stories but I think it explains why we don't encounter it very often. I don't think I have come across it before although it sounds like the kind of name that might have appeared in the Christmas annuals of the 1950s, in stories of intrepid adventures in the dormitories of St Hilda's and the like.

Cath said...

Hi Tara. Your comment made me look to see what the painting is. It's entitled Girl in a Red Dress Reading by a Swimmimg Pool and was painted by Sir John Lavery. I wonder if it's all of the painting or just a bit? I'll Google it in a moment.

Monix, I did Google 'Lalage@ and came up with the same info as you that the name is Greek for 'to prattle or babble'. There was also something about 'Lalage and Lesbia' which was I started to get confused. I was hoping to find some info about the name being popular in the UK at a certain time but could find nothing. Both those stories were written in the 1970s so you would think it might have been then but I honestly do not remember the name being around when I was naming my two daughters.

Cath said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cath said...

Tara: Well that didn't work, try this:

Girl in red dress.

Tara said...

Thanks Cath, I enjoyed seeing the whole painting. Thanks for seeking it out.