Tuesday 13 November 2018

Mount TBR reading challenge, 2019


I had a break from Mount TBR this year but the tbrs have mounted up quite badly, despite my efforts, so I thought I'd do the challenge next year as all the books I bought *this* year will qualify of course. So here we go.

As usual the challenge is being hosted by Bev at MY READER'S BLOCK.




Challenge Levels:

Pike's Peak: Read 12 books from your TBR pile/s
Mount Blanc: Read 24 books from your TBR pile/s
Mt. Vancouver: Read 36 books from your TBR pile/s
Mt. Ararat: Read 48 books from your TBR piles/s
Mt. Kilimanjaro: Read 60 books from your TBR pile/s
El Toro: Read 75 books from your TBR pile/s
Mt. Everest: Read 100 books from your TBR pile/s
Mount Olympus (Mars): Read 150+ books from your TBR pile/s


For the various rules please visit Bev's sign-up post here. (I like the fact that rereads now count.)


At first I thought I'd just go for Pike's Peak - 12 books - and then I thought, 'Don't be such a wimp.' So I'm going for Mont Blanc, which is to read 24 books. As I have actually read almost 30 of my own books this year that ought to be achievable. In theory...

Looking forward to starting this, partly because it'll be the start of a new year and I always feel enthusiastic about what books I want to read. Right now, coming to the end of the year, my enthusiam is waning slightly. It will return.

~~~oOo~~~

11 comments:

Kay said...

Good luck! I understand about the waning enthusiasm right now and the excitement of thinking about next year. Me too! Though I have been reading some very nice romance-type books. Very cheerful.

Nan said...

"despite my efforts." very, very funny! My reading enthusiasm never wanes.

Cath said...

Thanks, Kay! It's funny how a brand new year reinvigorates my reading. 31st. Dec... a bit jaded... 1st. Jan. off I go again. It's mad.

Nan: Glad I made you smile. My enthusiasm does tend to wane but only a little bit. And it's good to make plans for the new year as we're both doing.

Margaret @ BooksPlease said...

I've been wondering about signing up again next year. I have missed doing it and I have not done well this year, reading just 18 of my TBRs (out of 82 books, most of them new releases). At this time of year I usually find myself tempted by the challenges ...

Cath said...

Margaret: I've managed 30 tbrs out of 60 so far this year so about half of what I've read. *But* I fancy most were recent purchases not books that have been languishing on the pile since Noah and The Flood. I've just seen that you've posted so will go and have a look.

Judith said...

Hi Cath,
A little late getting back to you on this post. We've had much more snow! It is deep winter here, and I'm enjoying it while it lasts.

I think you did so well to read 30 books this year from your TBR pile. Magnifique!
I always find it difficult to commit to a TBR challenge. I always worry that loads of wonderful new books are going to drop into my lap.

Oh, well. How is your weather? Are you finding plenty of time to read this month?

Cath said...

Hi Judith. How brilliant about your snow, our friends in Pittsburgh had some too so am guessing it's all over that corner of the USA?

Yes, I'm quite pleased with 30 books off the tbr pile. For some strange reason though the pile doesn't seem to be going down. I wonder why? ;-)

It's turned quite chilly over here, snow forecast for higher ground in Devon, and the wind is biting today. Winter's here. Yes, it's been a good month for reading but as always I'm behind with reviews. I'll have to do a round-up post at the end of the month.

Enjoy your weather!

Judith said...

Hi Cath,
So you've had wintry moments, too. There are two fortunate things about that. 1) The urge to snuggle down with books. And 2) the urge to start preparations early for the upcoming Christmas/New Year's season.
Curiosity killed the cat, but I'm wondering, how many miles are you from the sea in Devon?

Cath said...

Hi Judith... yes definitely wintery here... today we have rain and gales and I'm staying indoors! LOL And you're so right, we're already doing bits and pieces to put in the freezer to make Christmas a bit less work when the day comes. Our family come for several days so I tend to get casserole type meals cooked and frozen so prep time on Christmas Eve or Boxing Day is almost zero.

Well, Tiverton is very much inland but it only takes about 45 mins to get to the seaside. We generally go to a town called Teignmouth where they have a very long promenade where you can take the sea air. :-) It's about 35 miles. Or we can go north to Minehead in Somerset. That's 30 miles but we don't go very often as we lived there for 8 years and it's all a bit too familiar.

Bev Hankins said...

Cath-so glad you're joining me again. Those TBRs do have a way of multiplying, don't they? Good luck with taming them in 2019.

Cath said...

Bev: Cor... I think they must creep in in the middle of the night. (Says she who got another one in the post this morning...)