Thursday 19 March 2020

A couple of murder mysteries


I'm just back from four days in Cornwall, had a lovely time seeing my Cornish family down there and made the most of it because it's clearly going to be a while before we can go again. My husband is 'at risk' from the corona virus, with a heart condition and diabetes, and as such we'll have to isolate ourselves for the duration. I won't be bored... books and book blogging, jigsaws, knitting, cooking, the garden, social media... but I will badly miss my daughters and grandkids. We're a close knit family who support each other in everything and that will be a loss. Still, it's necessary and this too shall pass.

I have a couple of crime book reviews to catch up on, first up, Castle Skull: A Rhineland Mystery by John Dickson Carr. This is my 3rd. book for the European Reading challenge covering the country of 'Germany'.


Fifteen years ago a flamboyant stage magician, Malegar, died when he either fell or was pushed from a moving train. Now an actor friend of his, Myron Alison, has died, set alight and burned to death on the battlements of Malegar's old home, Castle Skull. French detective, Henri Bencolin, and his associate Marle (the narrator of the story) are asked to go to the castle, near Coblenz on the Rhine, to investigate. They stay opposite the castle in the home of the dead man, Alison, which is now being lived in by his sister, Agatha. A whole list of suspects are also staying, along with Bencolin and Marle... can the two men, plus the German police, get to the bottom of this mystery?

There's a lot more to this story than I've outlined, to be honest I found the plot quite hard to follow, overly melodramatic, and was constantly confused as who was who and what happened when. My confusion did clear as the book moved on and I did begin to enjoy it a bit more. But I never did take to the detective, Bencolin, didn't feel that his character was fleshed out at all and mostly the book was inhabited by a large cast of very unpleasant people. What did come over strongly was a sense of the Rhine, the dangers of the river, its moods, the high cliffs and hills on either side, the traffic on it and so on. I enjoyed that aspect more than the mystery if I'm honest and will see if I can see any non-fiction books about the river and its history.


Next, Then She Was Gone by Lisa Jewell, I saw this reviewed on Pat's blog and thought it sounded rather good: it was.

Laurel Mack's teenage daughter, Ellie, went missing ten years ago. The family, Laurel, her husband, Paul, and two older teenage children, basically imploded. The marriage slowly fell apart and the two older children moved out as soon as they could. Ellie disappeared off the face of the Earth that day but Laurel has never given up hope that she will be found alive or at the very least her body found so that the family can have closure. She's having coffee in a café one day when a man walks in and starts to chat to her. He's Floyd, an American, and gradually the two begin a relationship. The odd thing is, he has a nine year old daughter, Poppy, who, shockingly, looks just like Ellie. How can this possibly be?

I read this in two sittings and actually had to make myself stop the first session and go and cook a meal. It really is a pageturner. And different as there aren't any police or private investigators, just Laurel trying to sort her life out and be normal for the first time in ten years, but this question of what happened to Ellie, unsurprisingly, just won't go away. The book is quite agonising to be honest because of course the reader knows or can guess at things that Laurel can't see. There are multiple viewpoints but it's not confusing, very cleverly done in fact. In essence, a scary, psychological sort of book... not always my thing but this one worked very well indeed for me.

I hope everyone who visits and reads this blog stays safe. A few of us have decided to try and post more often during this crisis to keep people's spirits up, please join us! Judith at Reader in the Wilderness plans to start a Friday meme so go and read her initial post about it here. It sounds like a lot of fun and we all need that at the moment. Take care.

~~~oOo~~~

10 comments:

Lark said...

Then She Was Gone is one I really want to read! Glad you have lots of good books to help you wait out the coronavirus craziness. :)

TracyK said...

I was glad to see your review of Castle Skull, I had been curious about it. I have read one book by John Dickson Carr and enjoyed it a lot, but I think I will pass on this one, at least for now. I have others by Carr and I should read one of them.

I do plan to post more and I hope things settle down a bit after this week. Maybe it was the first week of Glen working at home or too many grocery trips looking for needed items but this week I have not been able to focus.

It is good that you were able to have a nice trip to Cornwall.

Kay said...

Cath, glad you guys got to go see your family in Cornwall. Know it will be hard to be away from them, but at least we are in the age of phone and facetime and email, etc. Then She Was Gone does look good, but I suspect it will be a bit before I'm reading a huge amount. I seem to be listening to J.D. Robb's Eve Dallas series again, which I love. I'm content for now. Take care!

Judith said...

Hi Cath,
That thriller you read (at least it sounds like a thriller) sounds fascinating. I will put it on my list of thriller to-be-reads. In the intense heat and humidity of summer I swallow them up, but my need might come long before then. Thanks.

Sam said...

"Then She Was Good" sounds like just the right kind of read tor these times, Cath, something to distract you from all the distractions out there that clamor for attention.

I do like the idea of posting more often than normal, because I absolutely crave the kind of conversation that only happens between book bloggers and avid readers. I'll really try to do that.

Today was spent on the grocery store scavenger hunt. I was able to find about 80% of the items on my list by visiting two different stores. Three weeks ago that success-rate would have upset me and caused a rant; today, I felt pretty good about an 80% success rate.

Cath said...

Lark: Yes, Then She Was Gone is a real pageturner. I know that term is overused but it really was. I'll have to read more by the author, but not too often as it was quite exhausting!

Tracy: I've read two others by JDC, Hag's Nook and The Mad Hatter Mystery, both of them Gideon Fell books. I enjoyed those a lot more that Castle Skull... I think because I liked Gideon Fell in the two former books, didn't care for Bencolin at all.

Yes, things are a bit busier right now while we all settle into a new routine and get things organised. I'm thinking next week will be a lot quieter as people 'really' begin to stay indoors.

Kay: Yes, exactly. Someone on the news made the point that this is a better time to have to be isolated because of the internet... he said if it was the 1980s we'd all be indoors playing I Spy for three months!

Yes, I'm fairly content too and if it weren't for the danger to us and our families I would be perfectly content to be honest.

Judith: Yes, Then She Was Gone was a bit thrillerish, definitely 'edge of the seat' stuff. I'm not that comfortable with child abduction stories but I coped ok with this.

Sam: Exactly, these book conversations are vital to some of us and they don't always happen anywhere other than here. I do talk books with others occasionally, I admit that, but not in quite the same way.

80% of your shopping list is very good! Well done. Interesting times, as they say.

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

Hi Cath,

Lisa Jewell's books have received such constantly excellent ratings and reviews, that I have really wanted to read them for some time now.

However 'too many books, not enough time' springs instantly to mind and I assure you that is a genuine observation, not an excuse!

I know that you enjoy your vintage crime fiction and very rarely comment on the style of writing of the times in which a book was written. It sounds as this was just a little too flamboyant for your taste, but leaving that aside and from a pure storyline point of view, would you consider reading any of his later books, as 'Castle Scull' was written way back in 1931 and John published his final book in 1972. It would be interesting to know if he managed to adapt his writing style to the times or if it was simply the whole package which didn't really grab you!

Stay safe. We might also be on lockdown for the duration, because of Dave's heart condition. However getting a definitive answer as to whether he needs to practice self-isolation or social-distancing, is like getting blood out of a stone! :)

Yvonne
xx

DesLily said...

You changed your background!! How come? Glad you enjoyed that book.. and glad P. didn't have to pay the price of you enjoying it! LOL.

Margaret @ BooksPlease said...

My husband is 'at risk' from the corona virus too, with a heart condition - and we're both over 70 so are self isolating too.I can't see that I'll be bored, books to read puzzles to do, FutureLearn courses, not to mention TV progs and doing Keep Fit DVDs and Wii Fit-maybe even a bit of gardening. Apart from the risk of getting the virus and the difficulty of getting a slot for a home delivery it shouldn't be too bad.

I haven't got on too well with some of John Dickson Carr's books, although I haven't read Castle Skull, but I have found his books over complicated and confusing. I love Lisa Jewell's books and Then She Was Gone is on my bookshelves waiting to be read. Glad it worked well for you.

And I'll have a go at Judith's Friday meme too.

Cath said...

Yvonne: I have read other books by John Dickson Carr, two from his other series about another detective, Gideon Fell. Those I quite liked. Yes, I would happily read later books but like you said, 'Too many books, not enough time'.

Thank you, we will certainly stay safe or try to... at some stage everyone will have to go out for food and that seems to me to be the danger point. I've assumed we both need to self-isolate or self-distance but Peter more than me as he's a bit older and has a heart condition and diabetes. It's all very unsettling but we'll come through eventually.

Pat: I changed my background just for a change. LOL! And then I changed it again as I wanted to put up a nice spring flowers photo and that didn't go with the book background.

Margaret: It seems a lot of our husbands are at risk. We're still in our 60s, although Peter is actually 70 in July, so we're going for the self-isolating too. I'm sure I won't be bored but will miss my family quite a lot.

I think that was why I wasn't keen on the JDC book, it was very confusing at the beginning and one or two things I never did quite understand. I think you will enjoy Then She Was Gone.

Brilliant, I hope you will have a go at Judith's meme, it was fun and interesting to do.