Friday 2 July 2021

Books read in June

I can't believe we're halfway through the year already. It's now downhill all the way to Christmas. *Ducks rotten eggs and sundry well aimed missiles*

Enough of frivolity. I seem to have read nine books in June but have no clue how that happened because it felt like I was going quite slowly. Plus, you know, 'the garden'. But there you go...

These are the books:

40. A Borrowing of Bones by Paula Munier 

41. People Missing in the Woods by Steph Young 

42. The End of the Road by Jack Cooke 

43. A Quiet Life in the Country by T.E. Kinsey

44. A House in Sicily by Daphne Phelps 

45. Faring to France on a Shoe by Valerie Poore 

46. Spaceworlds: Stories of Life in the Void edited by Mike Ashley (to be reviewed)

47. Above the Bay of Angels by Rhys Bowen 

48. Leaving Everything Most Loved by Jacqueline Winspear (to be reviewed)

So that's five fiction and four non-fiction books and as usual with me it's quite a mixed bag. There's the usual travel writing, three murder mysteries, some sci-fi and some contemporary fiction. I've travelled all around the USA and the UK, been to Sicily, Northern France, and Nice in the south of France. Pretty much every book was very good, so I can't pick a favourite but I'll do a shout-out for these three:







                                                                                                                                                            

All three of these were superb and luckily all three writers have written more books for me to enjoy. 

I'm currently reading this:


So my July reading journey begins in Ireland.Where else will I be travelling in my armchair this month I wonder? Exciting!


9 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Cath, I've never tried a book by Winspear and I know she is so popular. How did that happen? I like how diverse your reading choices were. Faring to France on a Shoe has me curious. Hope July is a good month for you.

Sam said...

You know it's been a good reading month when all the books are so good that you find it impossible to choose a favorite. That's quite an achievement...you are a better "book chooser" than I am, for sure.

Cath said...

Diane: Jacqueline Winspear's become one of my favourite historical crime writers, and to think I didn't care for the first book when I first read it 'years' ago. I'm glad I tried again and now love the series.

Sam: I know. I mean I liked some more than others but no one book stood out above the others. I'm honing this ability to choose books I'll like quite well. LOL!

DesLily said...

Just saying I love you!

Lark said...

I'm not excited that the year is half over. How did that happen? Time gets away from me lately, especially in the summer. At least your June was filled with good reads. Fingers crossed July brings you even more excellent books. :D

Cath said...

Pat: Love you too, Sis! You take care.

Lark: No, I'm not mad about half the year being gone either. Especially not at my age. LOL I hope you find some good reads for July too and that it doesn't get too hot where you are.

CLM said...

Unlike most summers, I am determined to use my vacation time so am taking off a week in July and in August. Anything I don't use by September 30th, I lose so that is big incentive.

I am glad you enjoyed the Paula Munier mystery. She seems to be on a good pace, writing one book a year so should keep us in business . . .

TracyK said...

I have the same thoughts for my reading in June.... I read 8 books but I felt it was going very slowly. I picked up a few towards the end. And the gardening was an issue, but also my husband retiring, which meant there was a lot of changes going on in day to day life. But good changes, of course.

You have convinced me I have to try one of Paula Munier's books sometime. I do love dogs, even though it has been decades since we have had one. (Just cats since then.) I still cannot decide about Jacqueline Winspear. I did read the first three books in the series and wasn't convinced to continue, but there are so many now, and I have thought of picking up midway because the later ones sound good.

Cath said...

Constance: I bet you can't wait to have some time off. A pity you won't be able to come to the UK as you were hoping.

I absolutely loved the Paula Munier, so well written and a beautiful setting. I have book two on my Kindle but am saving it for a while as there's only one more after that.

Tracy: Yes, gardening is an issue for us too as we're getting older. We now have a gardener come in once a fortnight to keep the grass cut and help with the flower beds. We're concentrating on the fruit and veggie beds. Enjoy your husband's retirement, mine retired about 20 years ago and yes, it certainly brought changes. Mostly good but I missed, and still do miss, time on my own.

I can wholeheartedly recommend the Paula Munier but Jacqueline Winspear seems to be an acquired taste. Most enjoy Maisie Dobbs but some don't and you might be one if you weren't convinced after three books.