Saturday 26 February 2022

Catching up (as always)

Two books to catch up on today. Firstly, Murder by the Book: Mysteries for Bibliophiles edited by Martin Edwards. This was a Christmas present from a lovely friend.

This is another of the BLCC's anthologies of themed murder mysteries. How perfect for people who like books about books mixed with a good murder yarn! The collection has 16 stories in all and as usual the stories varied a bit but none were less than very readable and some were superb. My favourite was by an unknown author to me, Roy Vickers, and entitled A Man and His Mother-in-Law. The protagonist has married for the second time, his first wife having walked out on him. His second wife had been adopted during the war, having lost both her parents, and had become slavishly attached to her adopted mother. How this all pans out, including a murder, is a beautifully observed commentary on marriage and the people within it, and not just the couple themselves. I thought this was superbly written, I liked that it was quite long and took its time to explain how the husband was like he was and how that affected his relationships. Brilliant. I also loved, Grey's Ghost by Michael Innes. This takes part at a dinner party, wherein a bishop relates how he heard someone say in passing, 'Grey's ghost was black'. Inspector Appleby (Innes' regular detective) is present that evening and works out what was meant by that comment and how things progressed. Terrific story, I really 'must' get hold of some of the Appleby novels. I liked the cleverness of Malice Domestic by Philip MacDonald, an American story of a man who thinks his wife is poisoning him. Good twist to that one. There was a Sherlock Holmes story by S.C. Roberts, The Strange Case of the Megatherium Thefts, concerning missing books, which was pretty good. Also excellent was, The Book of Honour by John Creasy. This was set in India and was another tale which took the time to explain the background so that the reader feels very invested in the characters. My final favourite was *takes deep breath* We're Know You're Busy Writing But We Thought You Wouldn't Mind If We Dropped In For a Minute by Edmund Crispin. I should think every author would identify with this very strongly as the narrator recounts how many interruptions he gets each day, making settling down to write a book almost impossible. This was very funny, I like Crispin's Gervase Fen books anyway and this has the same trademark humour. All in all an excellent collection of very varied stories all connected with books or publishing in some way or other and I can recommend it very highly.

Lastly, Bewildering Cares by Winifred Peck. This book, first published in 1940, is another reissue published by Dean Street Press.

Camilla Lacely is a vicar's wife and the couple live and work in a small provincial town somewhere near Manchester. WW2 has begun, young men are being called up and the war effort is clicking into gear. Camilla's trials and tribulations are many. As a vicar's wife a lot is expected of her, not just commitees, supporting people with problems in the locality, church duties and such, but she also feels very strongly that her main duty is to support her husband in everything. It's endless pressure and worry but luckily she's stoical and can deal with things from a humorous point of view: she's very philosophical. This attitude is challenged somewhat on the day that the curate, Strang, preaches his pacifist views to a congregation and outrages the whole town. Camilla 'was' present but unfortunately was snatching forty winks behind a pillar and didn't hear what was said. All kinds of mayhem ensues, nastiness coming out of the woodwork, people getting on their high horses and threatening to withdraw financial support for various causes and so on. This is an excellent study of human nature, the good, the bad, and the downright unreasonable. Pettiness persists even during wartime, perhaps 'especially' in wartime. I liked Camilla, bravely 'keeping calm and carrying on' despite a lot of provocation. I don't know why but her husband annoyed me. I think I felt that the support was all one way but I suspect that's my 21st. century sensibilities talking. There's a lot of humour in the telling of this tale, somewhat in the style of The Diary of a Provincial Lady. I did get a little bogged down in ethical and religious discussions but that's a minor quibble. I loved one character who appeared only briefly but was mentioned a lot, Camilla's son, Dick, who clearly had his feet planted firmly on the ground. All in all, a good read and I'm interested enough to search out more work by Winifred Peck, and have in fact got one of her crime books on my Kindle, Arrest the Bishop?, which sounds like fun.

And soon it'll be March and we'll all be wondering where February went! I hope you're all finding some good books to read to take your mind off the difficult times we're going through.
 

16 comments:

DesLily said...

That's my "sis" rolling along in 2022 !!

I surprised myself and with the new "book light" I finished Michael Scott's book of "lost stories" (short stories of characters from his Alchamyst books) it only took me 3 months! I am hoping this will get me back to reading.!

Jo said...

This book sounds great,adding it to my tbr!!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Murder by the Book: Mysteries for Bibliophiles edited by Martin Edwards sounds delightful. I know I've read something by him previously in that British series. Glad you are finding some enjoyable reads.

Lark said...

Bewildering Cares does sound like a fun one, mostly because of Camilla. I wish my library had a copy!

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

Both books sound like really good additions for my own 'wish list'.

I am quite getting into the vintage books and have downloaded a couple of titles from Dean Street Press, after you recommended them. However I have now had to call a temporary halt to my regular visits to the site, as I fear the books, which are too tempting to resist, are only going to sit on my Kindle until doomsday, which is a waste and I am sure not what the publisher intends.

Sometimes I crave the ability to speed read, but I think that in reality that would only take away much of the enjoyment of a book, as I do like to read and savour each and every word of a story. I really do just need to show some self control, sit on my hands and stop pushing the 'request' or 'download' buttons!

Here's to March! :)

Cath said...

Pat: Yeah, I saw your new light on Facebook. It's so great and I hope it helps you read a little more.

Jo: Very pleased to hear that. Not sure which one you mean but they're both good.

Diane: Yes, Martin Edwards edits a lot of the BLCC anthologies and they're all good. I've found lots of new authors via their books.

Lark: Sorry your library doesn't have a copy of Bewildering Cares, that's a real shame!

Cath said...

Yvonne: Yes, those Dean Street press books are so tempting and there are a 'lot' of them now. I keep seeing new ones I fancy but like you have called a halt until I've read some of the ones I have waiting on my Kindle.

I'm not a speed reader either, Peter gets through books much more quickly than I. But I notice he does flick through pages when he's bored with a section which is something I just can't do... who knows what you might be missing! I actually don't want to read faster, for me the point of reading is not to get through as many books as you can but to enjoy each book and, like you said, savour each word.

TracyK said...

Now you have me adding more books to my "buy someday soon" list.

I already planned to get a copy of Murder by the Book, but your description of A Man and His Mother-in-Law really clinches it. And the other stories you mention sound very good too. I read a lot of Michael Innes's books when I was younger but would like to get back to them and see what I think now. I have a good number already, although usually with very small print. I haven't read any of his short stories.

Bewildering Cares sounds very good, especially the wartime setting. I will also add it to my list. I haven't read any of the Dean Street Press reprints. And the cover is nice too. I did get another mystery by Winifred Peck - on the Kindle - just now (The Warrielaw Jewel).

CLM said...

Winifred Peck sounds right up my alley, except I keep trying to take a break from WWII. It almost seems self-indulgent to read about war when people are living it - and when one sees it happening in real time on TV.

I think I might also have The Warrielaw Jewel on my Kindle (which I rarely remember unless I am traveling).

I know I wanted to share with you an article about that book you liked about all the people disappearing (what an incoherent sentence!). Of course, now I have forgotten where I saw it, but it will come back to me.

Margaret @ BooksPlease said...

Murder by the Book sounds better than some of the short story collections I've read and I enjoyed reading your summaries. I have a few of the Dean Street Press books but not Bewildering Cares - it sounds good. I have got Arrest the Bishop?, but haven't read it yet.

Cath said...

Tracy: Ah yes, the good old 'buy someday soon' list. Mine is as long as your arm and probably ought to include pretty much everything ever written. LOL!

Yes, that Roy Vickers story was a bit classy, so well written and I got so involved in the psychology of the people involved. I keep saying I need to get somethihg by Michael Innes but never seem to get around to it. Which is stupid as I know I would like his Appleby books.

The Dean Street Press books are a bit classy too. I'm trying not to buy too many but not doing very well with that. I'll have to look up The Warrielaw Jewel as Constance also mentions it.

Cath said...

Constance: I know what you mean about WW2. I looked at the books I've read this month and realised I'd read two set in that conflict and another in 1938 when they knew another war was coming. Exactly, about it being self-indulgent.

I'm trying to remember a book where people disappeared.... oh! Do you mean The Cold Vanish? If you remember where you saw it let me know.

Cath said...

Margaret: Murder by the Book is not the best British Library anthology I've read (that would be one of their 'weird story' collections I think) but it's pretty high up there. Naturally, the stories do vary in interest, but not quality as they're all well written and very readable. I have Arrest the Bishop? too as it was one of the free books they offer every Monday. Judging by Winifred Peck's writing I should read that soon.

Margaret @ BooksPlease said...

Thanks, Cath for clarifying this. I don't get on well with short short stories, and find the longer ones usually suit me more.

Sam said...

Murder by the Book sounds perfect, Cath, for mystery lovers and book people, in general. Gotta find that one. Coincidentally, it's also the name of my favorite Houston bookstore...the store that turned me into such a devout fan of the genre

Cath said...

Margaret: My pleasure!

Sam: Murder by the Book was a lot of fun with about half a dozen really good stories. How funny that it's the same name as your favourite bookshop! Life is strange.