Friday 4 March 2022

Shelter in Place by Nora Roberts

So, I nabbed Shelter in Place by Nora Roberts from the library after reading her Northern Lights in January and loving it. I got as far as discovering this book was set in Maine and put it in my bag without going any further.

 


Simone Knox, aged 16, has just been dumped by her boyfriend for not being willing 'to go all the way'. She's devastated because in her head she had the two of them married and bringing up their kids, having a lovely life. To cheer her up her two best friends, Tish and Mi, take her off to the movies, but no sooner are they settled than in walks the ex with his new girlfriend. Simone heads to the loo to compose herself. Coming out sometime later she's greeted with mayhem: shots being fired, people screaming, stampeding to get away from something. Terrified, Simone goes back into the ladies to hide and calls 911.

Three teenage boys end up killing over 70 people in the shopping mall that day. Simone survives but Tish is killed and Mi is very seriously injured. Also surviving that day is Reed. He's 19 and working at the mall to earn some money to go to college. The female cop, Essie, who ends the shooting spree inspires Reed and on the spot he decides to become a cop himself. 

Fast forward a few years and Essie and Reed are partners in the police. They decided quite early on that they would not lose sight of the massacre and its consequences, and it's while doing this that Reed realises someone is picking off the survivors of that fateful day. 

Meanwhile, Simone has had a shaky time of it, going a little bit off the rails. But her unconventional, artistic grandmother, Cici, has noticed that the girl is artistic too and suggests Simone goes off to Italy to study and get involved in the art world there. It's the making of Simone who has had to fight her parents to be allowed to be who she really is. When Simone returns to live with her Grandmother and Reed changes jobs the two lives collide. But there's a job to do first: a killer has to be caught.

So there's me, holding this opinion that Nora Roberts' books are fluffy, undemanding, not that well written, and Not For Me. Fluffy? There's gun massacre at the beginning of this book that made my blood run cold. No punches pulled. I would even warn against this if you have no taste for this kind of thing. There's a cold-blooded serial killer going about their business in a very inhuman manner and sections written from the point of view of said killer that are quite chilling. 

I have to admit that none of the above are necessarily my thing but the writing drew me in and so did the characters. I loved Cici and her unconventional lifestyle. I liked how Reed and Essie worked together and how decent they were as cops and as people. Simone's discovery of her artistic talent and how she used that to heal herself was wonderful to read. Very touching. And not everyone can learn to deal with trauma and those who 'have' learnt need to accept that too.

And I must mention Maine. Cici lives on an island off the coast of the state called Tranquility and what do you know? it actually exists. I loved it. Such a strong sense of beauty and calm, of community and yes, 'tranquility'. I want to go.

This is quite a long book, 430 pages or so and sometimes I would say about a book that 100 pages could easily have been lopped off and no one any the wiser, but not this one. Roberts takes the time to go into the lives and characters of people who have survived severe trauma and to explain how we all have coping mechanisms, we just have to discover what they are and survive.  There's romance in this book, there's a very definite crime element, but most of all it's a book about real life and finding a way to survive the most terrible of events. I absolutely loved it. And I do believe I need to be a trifle less rigid in judging authors and their work. I didn't think I was that judgmental to be honest: clearly I still have a way to go.


19 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Maine is a lovely state indeed. Still much of it is peaceful and tranquil. I'm happy you enjoyed this so much, not sure the timing would be right for me right now, maybe at a later date.

BTW: I met my book friend who recommended After; Bruce Grayson MD and told her how much you loved the book and that you were in the UK. She was curious what part of the UK as her family is from there as well. I believe she said - Southeast. I'll be seeing her agin next Wednesday.

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

As I think I have commented before, I too had the pretty much the same thoughts as yourself about the writing style and storylines of Nora Roberts. However, after reading your really objective and thoughtful review of this book, I can see that perhaps I need to reassess my previous assumptions.

As she writes across so many genres, for me I guess it is always going to be a bit 'hit or miss' to find the storyline which is right for me

In all fairness though, I have only read one or two books by this prolific author, both from her 'Night Tales' series, so perhaps I should follow your lead and look to some of her stand alone novels and see how I get on there!

I'll add this one to my list, seeing as you enjoyed it so much! :)

Cath said...

Diane: I'm sure Maine is wonderful. I regret not making the effort to see it on our three trips to the USA, but maybe we'll still make it one day. No I don't think the timing of this intense book would be quite right for you at the moment.

I live in Devon in the south west of England but come originally from Cornwall. The south east would be Kent or Sussex I suspect. Say 'hello' for me on Wednesday!

Cath said...

Yvonne: Exactly, and having read a couple of Nora Roberts' mystical type books set in Ireland (she's well known for that sort of thing) and not been keen, I rather thought none of her books would suit me.

The series of her's which seems to be universally popular is her 'In death' series. But I think it's up to about 50 books and I'm not sure I have the stamina to start at the beginning of that lot and work my way through. LOL I think I'll stick with the odd standalone from time to time as there are plenty of them, mostly set in different US states, which appeals to me greatly.

Thanks for stopping by and have a good weekend.

Lark said...

This book does sound like a good one, though that shooting scene at the mall would be very intense and hard to read. Mostly I just want to go spend some time on that island off the coast of Maine! Like for a month. Wouldn't that be nice?

Margot Kinberg said...

I'm actually not one to read serial killer stories very often; they have to be expertly done for me to keep on with them. But it sounds as though this one has some interesting characters, and I like the exploration of the impact of a tragedy (like a mass killing) on people's lives.

Cath said...

Lark: Yes, that shooting scene was quite intense and hard to read. And also unexpected from Nora Roberts.

Oh yes, definitely I would love to visit the isalnd and stay in one of the beautiful houses... all summer would be nice but also they stressed how much more peaceful it was out of season. Long as I had lots of books I would be very content.

Cath said...

Margot: No, I'm not a huge fan of serial killer books either, especially if they're very psychological in that creepy sort of manner, which this one was not thankfully. Yes, the most interesting thing about the book was how it focussed on the impact of the massacre on the survivor's lives. So many facets I would not have thought of. I found it a very illuminating book and I wasn't expecting that.

TracyK said...

This sounds like it could be appealing in some aspects and not in others (the extreme violence of the massacre). I too had the opinion that her writing was not for me, based on reading the first few chapters of one of her series books, but I will have to rethink that. Maybe I can find a copy of this at the book sale and see what I think.

Cath said...

Tracy: Well, I'm a notorious wimp when it comes to violence or psychological stuff in books and I managed ok. I think you're right to pick something up if you see it cheap and then you won't have wasted too much if you don't like whichever of her standalones you've bought. Her books are not for everyone and I certainly have no intention of buying everything by her that I see. It will be library books probably or cheap Kindle deals and just the occasional read.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Cath, Thanks for the info - I'm going to give my reader friend Pauline, with early ties to UK, your blog link; she is a big reader as well and about our age.

Cath said...

Diane: That's so nice, thank you.

Sam said...

Nora Roberts is someone my wife's read for a long time, but I've never read one of her novels...mostly scared off by some of the covers, I think. LOL

Cath said...

Sam: LOL! I'm not surprised you're scared off by some of the NR covers. Me too to be honest. There are some of her books I will never be tempted by.

I hope all is well with you and your wife?

Kay said...

The first book I read by Nora Roberts was ages ago - it's called MONTANA SKY and yes, there is romance, but there is also mystery and family secrets, etc. You might think about trying that one. I looked it up and that one was written in 1997. Roberts has been writing for a really long time. I've been a fan of some of her trilogies that include the supernatural, but my biggest love of what she writes is her JD Robb series. And I've read all of them. I love Eve and Roarke. I have a copy of this one and might try it this year. Glad you liked it, Cath.

Cath said...

Kay: I have a list of NR's standalone novels I want to track down and Montana Sky is on it. I think it might be one that my daughter recommended, not sure. Other titles include, The Search (I think that's the one on my library pile), Angel Fall, Midnight Bayou, Black Hills, The Reef and so on. My daughter is also a huge fan of the In Death series you mention but I'm a bit intimidated by the fact that there are 50+ books already and it would be unlikely that I would ever get to the end. LOL!

Susan said...

This is super interesting because I actually have the same opinion of Nora Roberts! I've only read a couple of her books, but they were meh, especially in the writing department. This book has an intriguing premise, though, and if the writing is solid, I just may have to pick it up. Who knows, maybe it will change my opinion of the author, too!

Cath said...

Susan: You know, I think quite a lot of people have the same opinion as us on Nora Roberts' books. And to be honest I find it quite odd that I disliked the writing so much in her 'mystical' type books but liked it a lot on her standalone thrillers. Wierd.

wherethejourneytakesme2 said...

I have just finished rereading Thrush Green - Miss Read are my go to comfort books - and I really need them at the moment.