Sunday 1 October 2023

Books read in September

It seemed to me that September had no sooner arrived than it was gone. I'm sure time is speeding up! And now it really is autumn with leaves dropping and gales coming in from The Atlantic. Love it.

So, books read in September, by me, numbered 7. (Feel free to say that as Len Goodman would have. :-) )

75. Remarkably Bright Creatures - Shelby Van Pelt

76. Everyone in my Family Has Killed Someone - Benjamin Stevenson

77. Legends and Lattes - Travis Baldree 

78. The United States of Adventure - Anna McNuff. (This has an alternate title of 50 Shades of the USA.) I read this for the Read Around the USA challenge I'm doing, this category was 'a book that covers multiple states'. The author, a British cyclist, decides to cycle every state of the USA, taking 6 months to do it. Some states she really just passed into and out of an hour later but others she spent time in properly. I enjoyed this a lot especially reading about the people she met who were so kind to her. But my gosh, what an endeavour! Amazing. 

79. The Belial Stone - R.D. Brady. This was a Dan Brown type mix of adventure, archaeology, paranormal thriller - all life was there. There's an ancient source of power that needs to be found before someone or some'thing' gets hold of it and destroys the world. Enjoyable romp, first book in a series that's already 14 books long. I have book 2 as it's about a hidden library in Ecuador, but how much further I'll go after that I'm not sure.

80. The Mystery of 31 New Inn - R. Austin Freeman.

This is a London based novella published in 1912. R. Austin Freeman wrote a load of books and short stories featuring his detective Dr. Thorndyke, and this one of those. A friend of Thorndyke's, Dr. Jervis, takes a position standing in for another doctor while he's on holiday. He's called out in the middle of the night but the situation is very mysterious as he's not allowed to see where it is he's being taken in the enclosed coach. When he gets there the patient is clearly either suffering from sleeping sickness or an overdose of morphine and the two people whose care he's in are very odd indeed. Something is clearly not right and Jervis needs Thorndyke to help him solve the mystery. I always like the style in which these early 20th. century crime yarns are written, they're always well written with a nice sense of the macabre. The two drs. are very much in the vein of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson with one of them knowing everything and the other not so much. I enjoyed this but thought it was more of a short story padded out than a book in its own right. Not bad though and I'll read more when I come across them.

81. The Night Hawks - Elly Griffiths.

So, this is book 13 in the author's well known Ruth Galloway series. Ruth is now head of archaeology at the fictitious University of North Norfolk after a brief foray in Cambridge. Metal detectorists who don't abide by the rules are known as Night Hawks, although the group who find a dead body on a beach are not in fact of that ilk, their leader has just called the group that. Alongside the dead body is found a bronze-age burial so Ruth is called in. Meanwhile Nelson is called to a lonely farmhouse where a murder/suicide of a man and his wife have taken place. Eventually, of course, the two cases collide in the middle. So, I loved this as I do every Ruth Galloway book but had the sense that Griffiths was coming to the end of her interest in the series and indeed she has said that book 15 is the last but possibly not forever. I find each instalment strangely addictive, once I start reading I simply can't stop and I think quite a lot of people are the same. Ruth's thoughts have always brought a lot of humour to the books but this time I found that humour to be not quite there. I still enjoyed the ongoing saga of her personal life with Nelson and the cast of extra characters, all different, all with their complicated lives... Cathbad the druid is a favourite and has been since the start. I shall miss Ruth when I have no more books in the series to read. 

So that was my month of September in books. Standouts were Remarkably Bright Creatures, Legends and Lattes, The United States of Adventure and The Night Hawks. I consider it to be a pretty good reading month when you have four really good books out of seven and the rest weren't actually terrible either.

At the moment I'm struggling to decide on another fiction book after setting aside two after 30 or so pages. I am reading this non-fiction though:


Outlandish by Nick Hunt is split into four sections all dealing with various wilderness areas that are sort of in the wrong place, Arctic tundra in Scotland, primeval forest in Poland, the only European desert in Spain and grassland steppes in Hungary. The writing in this is sublime and I'm absolutely 'loving' it. Will look for more books by him when I've finished this.

Happy October! I hope your families are doing better than mine healthwise, it seems to be one thing after another for us. Thank goodness for good books. I hope you all have an excellent reading month.


20 comments:

Margot Kinberg said...

It really is well and truly autumn, isn't it, Cath? I hope you're spared the worst of the storms I keep hearing about. As for your reading, you make an interesting point about ...31 New Inn. It really does feel a bit more of a padded short story or even novella than a novel. I hadn't thought about that when I read it myself, but it makes sense. And I'm glad you enjoyed the Elly Grifths. Ruth Galloway is such an interesting character, I think, and it's been great seeing her go through her life.

CLM said...

I've now finished the Ruth Galloway books which makes me sad. I am just not as invested in her other series. However, I do recognize that from the author's perspective it is better to move on at a certain point.

I note that Michael Connelly's Bosch series has gone on so long his detective is getting pretty old, given he fought in Vietnam, so the last few books have introduced a young female detective. It makes sense to ease Bosch out of the books but it will also be sad to see him go.

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

I think I only read the first book in the Ruth Galloway series, but have many of the others lined up on my Kindle - However, whether I shall ever actually get around to reading them, who knows!

If September was anything to go by, probably not, as I haven't so much as picked up a book in the last couple of weeks, let alone caught up with publishing the reviews I have lined up. Like yourself, it seems to have been one thing after the other and hitting 65 has been a definite demarcation line for Dave and his health. I am not the most compassionate of people when it comes to sickness either, so adjusting to circumstances has been quite difficult. I'm a bit of a 'if it hurts, take an aspirin' type of person, so even all these silly vaccination appointments one after the other, really annoy me and I only have them to protect Dave - 'flu down, Covid and shingles to go!! Goodness, getting old really is a state of mind I think!

As you know, I am not a big non-fiction reader, however I have already added the Anna McNuff books to my wish list and I am seriously contemplating adding the Nick Hunt book, as it sounds so interesting.

I managed to read one good traditional murder/mystery 'The Mystery Of Yew Tree House' from The Detectives Daughter series by Lesley Thomson.

I also read and enjoyed 'Murder In A French Village' book #7 in the 'Flora Steele' series, cozy mysteries by Merryn Allingham. I have followed this series from the beginning and I am still enjoying it a lot.

Let's hope for a better October all round :)

Lark said...

I'm sorry your family is struggling with health issues. My mom had a few health issues in September, too, but is doing a little better now. Fingers crossed that continues. I hope October brings you and yours better health, too, and lots of happiness, and of course, many more good books to read. You found some fun books to read in September; several are now on my own TBR list. And I really need to get caught up on Griffiths' Ruth Galloway series. Maybe next year. :D

TracyK said...

I feel the same way about this September, it went so fast. And I am sorry that your family continues to have health problems. We have several medical appointments this month, but they are normal exams or visits for vaccines. And those are bad enough.

I am afraid I will never finish the Ruth Galloway series. I read book 5 this year and purchased the next book in the series, The Outcast Dead, at the book sale. But even if she is stopping at book 15, that is still nine more for me to read. We will see. I did enjoy book 5 more than any previous book.

I saw on Goodreads that you are reading Outlandish. It has a great cover and sounds very interesting. I just stopped reading a book after 50 pages a couple of days ago, and I hardly ever do that. I am hoping my next fiction read, which is a Canadian book, Greenwood by Michael Christie, will work better for me.

Margaret @ BooksPlease said...

You had a good reading month, but sorry to hear your family are having health problems.

I've read just one of your September books - The Night Hawks,which I thoroughly enjoyed. I've just got three more of the Ruth books to read!!!

Cath said...

Margot: Oh yes, autumn is definitely here. We've had a couple of storms but have so far been spared the worst of them, I'm sure our turn will come.

All of the Thorndyke stories I had so far read were short stories and I did wonder whether R. Austin Freeman was more a short story author than a novelist. Just my two cents.

I think Ruth Galloway will forever be my favourite main character in a crime series, although it is a crowded field and that could change!

Cath said...

Constance: I'm not surprised you're sad to have finished the Ruth Galloway books, I have a feeling that once I get to the last one I will probably hold offreading it for a while.

Is it actually possible for Bosch to have fought in Vietnam and still be in the police in 2023? That seems crazy. Mind you, Ann Cleeves's Vera is still going strong and Brenda Blethyn is, I think, 77!

Cath said...

Yvonne: Oh I know... so 'many' books and new ones coming out all the time that I'm dying to read. 'Headless chicken' springs to mind when I think of me trying to keep up.

Sorry to hear that Dave's health issues have come to the fore again. Old age is a real pain. I'm a bit like you in my approach to ill-health but have had to eat my words a bit as sciatica has me in its grip and won't let go. P's leg is much better now, that took two months to heal, and now my daughter needs an operation on her back again. It seems endless and I want to shout, 'Enough now!' into the ether in case anyone's listening...

Both the Anna McNuff book and the Nick Hunt are super non-fictions. Exactly what I like to read in the way of travelogues. I'm glad a couple of good murder mysteries have kept you company for a while at least.

Cath said...

Lark: Thank you. And I'm sorry to hear about your mom, glad to hear she's doing a bit better now. These things can really get to you.

Well, the RG books are not going anywhere so I'm sure you will read them when the time is ready. I know you will love them as they just get better and better.

Cath said...

Tracy: It did didn't it... I wasn't expecting Sept. to fly past quite so quickly!

Thank you. I agree, even the ordinary medical apts. are a nuisance, we have flu jabs next week and need to see about covid jabs too at some stage. No one tells you old age is all about vaccinations!

Well, as I said to Lark, the Ruth Galloway books are not going anywhere. Lark is, of course, quite a lot younger than us so probably has more time to ruminate on them. LOL!

Outlandish is 'so' good, interesting and great writing. As to fiction, I'm having the same trouble as you, just dnfed two books, not because they were bad but because my mood is not quite right for them at the moment. I'll go back to them. I hope Greenwood works better for you.

Cath said...

Margaret: Thank you, it just seems to be one crisis after another at the moment. How are you doing?

I've only got two more Ruth books. I must admit I'm curious to see where EG goes with the last one but also do not want to get there really.

Margaret @ BooksPlease said...

Cath, I have read the last two books! This is a series I've read totally out of order.The three I have left are in the middle and I haven't got the copies yet.

I'm nearly in the middle of the chemo course and so far it's not been too bad. The main thing is the effect on my hand that takes the IV drip - the drug makes it extremely sensitive to cold and metal to touch - can't get anything out of the freezer,even opening the fridge hurts. But it does ease by the end of each cycle until the next one. It's weird - and I've lost loads of weight (mainly from the op etc).

Sam said...

Another great month in the ledger, Cath. I agree with you that time, certainly my sense of it, has gone flown by faster than ever. Hard to believe that we are in the final quarter of the year now. It's still seven or eight degrees above normal every day here and feels much more like late summer than early fall. And boy do we need some rain.

The United States of Adventure sounds like fun...especially when compared to any title that has "50 Shades" of ANYTHING in its title. :-) I'm curious about where you uncovered The Mystery of 31 New Inn because it doesn't sound like something easy to have stumbled upon. Not familiar with the Elly Griffiths series you're reading, but hearing that the author is ready to end it at 15 books further confirms my theory that most series have a natural life cycle. Some authors go on too long with a series, and I think that may be worse than ending them too soon.

Have another great reading month...hope you are both well and getting out.

Cath said...

Margaret: Ah right, re the Ruth Galloway books... so you actually know how they end.

I'm sorry to hear about the effect the drug has had on your hand. I've never heard of that before. I hope the end of the chemo comes quickly and am glad it's not too bad other than this odd cold thing. Keeping you in my thoughts.

Cath said...

Sam: We've had lots of rain here in the UK... all summer. I'll send some rain vibes your way. It is indeed incredible that we're now into the final quarter of the year. It doesn't seem five minutes since I was making reading plans for the new year.

I hate that 50 Shades version of the title and can't imagine why anyone would agree to that as an alternate name for their book. I'm still not sure whether that's for here or there.

I do honestly think that the Ruth Galloway books may have run their course and maybe Elly Griffiths is sensible to bring it to a close before she gets really fed up with the series. It's a brave thing to do with 'such' a popular series and all power to her.

Kathy's Corner said...

Hi Cath, I hope your family is feeling better in October and have a great Holiday season. Congratulations on reading 7 books in September. That's a goal I want to shoot for this month and I have Ruth Galloway's first book in my kindle so I am going to give it a read. Otherwise I must focus on the Victorian novels I chose for this month.

Cath said...

Hi Kathy. Thank you!

I hope you enjoy the first Ruth Galloway book if you manage to get to it. Like a lot of series they get better as they go along.

Ah... are you doing the Booktube event 'Victober'? I watched Katie Lumsden's video on reading
Anthony Trollope and definitely plan to read one of his. I've already read a couple of his Barchester novels and this time will try a standalone. Very interested in what you've chosen, are you planning on doing a post?

Nan said...

I have read some Freeman books, and liked them a lot.

As I read your comment above, I am just amazed at how much you read and participate in reading things!

Cath said...

Nan: The Freeman books are great fun!

I do enjoy participating in various reading events but not always in a big way, sometimes I just do it quietly on my own.