Friday 19 July 2024

I have been reading...

Not heaps to be honest as it was Wimbledon fortnight for the first two weeks of the month and I watched a lot more of it than I normally would. So good this year, my two favourite players, apart from the Brits who all went out early, were Lulu Sun from New Zealand and Jasmine Paolini from Italy - two bouncy, dynamic players and huge fun to watch. And in a week or so it will the Paris Olympics of course. 

So, books. I started July with Murder Takes a Holiday, an anthology of murder mystery short stories with a holiday theme, edited by Cecily Gayford.

Ten stories in this collection. It started with two stories I'd already read, the first being, The Adventure of the Devil's Foot, a Sherlock Holmes story by ACD of course. It's set in Cornwall on The Lizard Peninsula and I'm always up for a reread of this one as it's 'so' atmospheric. That was followed by a Lord Peter Wimsey which is not one of my favourites but even an average Wimsey is better than a lot of other stuff. After those I had five favourites. The Mystery of Home's Cross by Anthony Berkeley tells the story of a body discovered in the woods but when the man who finds it brings the police the body has gone and no one believes him. Chapter and Verse by Ngaio Marsh is an Inspector Alleyn story about a murder that took place in 1770. I haven't read any Alleyn novels so I must correct that. The Mysterious Visitor by Austin Freeman is about a man who goes on holiday and goes missing. The Fever Tree by Ruth Rendell was set on an African game reserve and was probably the best story in the collection for my money, very atmospheric. A couple go to reinvigorate their marriage after he's had an affair, nice twist at the end. Parking Space by Simon Brett was the last one I liked, another story about a disintegrating marriage and husband who's a social climber and another author I need to read a proper novel by. This anthology has quite a low rating on Goodreads - 3.33 - which really surprises me as I thought it was very solid with no dud stories at all. Oh, well.

Next, I read the third novella in the canal boat series I've been enjoying by Cressida McLaughlin, Cabin Fever. These are light and fluffy and set on a canal with interesting characters and dogs and what's not to love if that's what you're in the mood for?

After that it was Reckless Creed, book 3 in Alex Kava's 'Ryder Creed' series. 

Hard to see what I can say about this as it's a continuation of book 2 and I don't want to spoil it. Basically it's about secret labs in parts of the USA where uncontrolled experiments on human guinea pigs have been taking place. This came to light in book 2 when there was a landslide in South Carolina that engulfed one of these labs and Ryder Creed and his dogs are sent in to find survivors. Someone from the lab got away and book 3 tells what happens next and it is 'scary'. It was written in 2016 I think, and it's odd how many authors there are who predicted pandemics, what would be the cause of them, and how they would spread. Sobering stuff and this was quite edge of the seat reading. I do enjoy this series, good characters, all of them nuanced and interesting, and delightful dogs of course. But I've had enough of pandemics now...

 

 

So that's been my reading so far in July. My two current reads are two non-fictions. First up, Everything is Everything: A Memoir of Love, Hate and Hope by Clive Myrie.

 


Clive is a very well known in the UK as a BBC newsreader, maker of travel documentaries and question-master for Mastermind. I thought this might be an interesting read and it is, covering as it does, some of his childhood as part of a black immigrant family from Bolton near Manchester with origins in Jamaica. It gives a different perspective from the one I know and that's always a good thing. I'm really enjoying this, especially his experiences as a foreign correspondent for the BBC in many countries, which is one of the reasons I wanted to read it. A very readable and fascinating memoir.

Lastly, Jane Austen at Home by Lucy Worsley. 



I love Lucy Worsley's books and TV documentaries and this one lives up to its promise. It charts Austen's life through the various houses she lived in with, first of all, her family in Steventon in Hampshire and then, basically, wherever Jane, Cassandra and their mother could find to house themselves after the father died. The brothers all had careers of course, not so easy for widows and women who couldn't find a husband. I think this is going to take me a while to read as it's very densely written.

I hope you're all having a good July, one that's not 'too' hot, and also finding some good books to read.


25 comments:

Sue in Suffolk said...

I always have to check which of the Cecily Gayford collections I've read as there are so many now, with similar titles. Haven't read this one so it's on my list to reserve.

Margot Kinberg said...

The Lucy Worsley looks good, Cath! And it's interesting how sometimes, Goodreads and other ratings can be low, but you read a book and think it's great. I've had that happen. And Murder Takes a Holiday sounds like a solid group of stories. Glad you had a chance to watch the tennis!

Harvee Lau said...

The short story collection looks good and I like the theme.

Lark@LarkWrites said...

Paolini is a very fun tennis player to watch. I was rooting for her in the finals, but... And I love all of the Ryder Creed novels. It's one of my favorite series. Probably because of the dogs. ;D Though Ryder is a really great character, too. And I'm very excited for the Olympics to start. Favorite events: Diving, gymnastics, archery and equestrian. Though I do pretty much watch it all.

CLM said...

I watched more tennis than usual too, perhaps because it was too hot to go outside unnecessarily. I was rooting for Emma Navarro. I had really hoped to go to Wimbledon two years ago but due to the train strikes my schedule got moved around and I wasn't free in the mornings to go queue.

I love the Olympics and a very talented fencer I have met has a good chance to doing well. I hope they don't ignore the less popular sports on television.

Kathy's Corner said...

Hi Cath,

I used to watch tennis and baseball alot but got out of it. I think that is a mistake because sports fans get so much out of the game. I need to pick a sport and get interested in watching it again.

I like Murder Takes a Holiday because you can get a sampling of some really fine mystery writers and then see what novels they have written.

Very interesting and sad about Jane Austen and the housing problem she, her sisters and her mother had after their father died. I believe it was John Mulland who noted that real estate plays a very important part in Austen's novels and I can see why.

TracyK said...

Ratings on Goodreads are often hard to fathom, and especially for short stories books. Murder Takes a Holiday sounds like a good anthology. I read The Fever Tree in a collection of Rendell's stories and I remember liking it... and others in that collection.

I have bought the first book in the canal boat series. (and the second and the third for that matter, since they were both really inexpensive.) I clearly did not know what canal boats were, did not realize that they could be lived in. So it should be interesting.

Jane Austen at Home sounds very good. Someday I will have to seek out a copy that I can afford. I can of course hope to find it at the book sale but that is unlikely.

I am now reading Lost Lands Forgotten Stories : A Woman's Journey to the Heart of Labrador by Alexandra Pratt. I am enjoying it a lot, although I wish it had some maps to follow the journey.

Cath said...

Sue: Yes, she has edited quite a lot of these collections, I think I might've read a Christmas one or two. But I thought this summer one was quite good.

Cath said...

Margot: The Lucy Worsley is very good but quite densely written so I think it's going to be one of my long-term non-fiction reads. Yes, Murder Takes a Holiday was very solid, it even surprised me a bit by being better than I was expecting.

Cath said...

Harvee: Yes, the short story collection is pretty good. To be honest a 'summer' theme is not really my thing - I prefer autumn or winter - but I was in the mood for something a little different.

Cath said...

Lark: I actually thought Paolini might do it in the final but there you go. Never mind.

The Ryder Creed books are so good, and I think I have you to thank for introducing me to them. So, thank you! :-)

As regards the Olympics, I love the athletics (track & field) most of all. Been a follower of British athletics since I was a teenager.

Cath said...

Constance: What a shame you missed out on the chance to go to Wimbledon. To be honest, I don't think I could do the queueing any more!

We tend to get wall to wall Olympic coverage and what's not on live TV is covered on iPlayer. I hope you do get to see your fencer. Myself, I love the athletics coverage but my daughter and her husband will be here staying that 2nd. week so I can't swamp them in that!

Cath said...

Kathy: I don't follow a lot of sport I must admit but I do follow athletics (track & field) and a little tennis, mainly Wimbledon. I'm not into football which is probably the most popular sport in the UK.

I have the John Mulland book to read so I must get to that. So far, the Lucy Worsley book is excellent and I enjoy the author's comments and opinions on things that happened in JA's life and family. Fascinating stuff. If you see any of her TV docs. on your TV channels they're well worth catching.

Cath said...

Tracy: I must think about looking for an actual collection of Ruth Rendall short stories as The Fever Tree was superb.

Yes, canal boats can be lived in and you can take holidays on them here in the UK. I'd love to do it but have been told it's hard work! I hope you enjoy the series, it's fluffy but I thought there was a strong sense of place and atmosphere.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you might find a copy of the JA book at a book-sale, though it isn't the kind of book you would get rid of if you own it, not in my opinion anyway.

Very pleased that you're reading Lost Lands, it feels very much like a Canadian book that's been forgotten and that's a shame really as you don't see many books about Labrador.

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

I didn't get to watch any of Wimbledon this year, which was a bit of a shame, so maybe I'll get lucky with The Olympics :) Dave isn't really a fan of sports which doesn't help!

I probably wouldn't read the JA Book, but the cover is beautiful.

I am not usually a big fan of short story collections, however 'Murder Takes A Holiday' will just have to be done very soon, as you cite some of my favourite 'vintage' murder/mystery authors.

Canal and river boating is indeed very hard work, yet equally rewarding, if my sister-in-law and her husband are to be believed. They have just travelled down from Northampton Marina to Sharpness Dock and have negotiated over 70 locks along the way! My S-I-L usually handles the locks whilst hubby steers the boat through some very tight spaces. At almost 70 years old, she reckons that she has biceps coming, as apparently the locks are quite physically demanding. Not for me, but they love the peace, tranquillity and laid back pace of life :)

Nan said...

Maybe you have talked about it, and I missed it since I am just not reading blogs as much as I want to, but do you still have your garden? Are you able to take care of it by yourself? Another sadness, I know.

Cath said...

Yvonne: Yes, I was able to watch a lot more Wimbledon this year than I usually would as, like Dave, Peter was also not a fan of sport on TV. To be honest, neither am I am as regards football and so on, but I do like Wimbledon and I like Athletics.

The Murder Takes a Holiday book did have rather splendid collection of decent authors in it. The editor has done quite a lot, including several Christmas themed ones.

Cruising the canals sounds lovely to me but I've read plenty of books that say how physically demanding it is and your story about your sister-in-law bears that out. Still, it must be quite nice travelling through the countryside that way. We went on the local one for my daughter's partner's b/day and it was super.

Cath said...

Nan: No, I'm not quite able to take care of our biggish garden on my own. I have a gardener in twice a month to keep the grass cut and the borders tidy but I have not done a veggie garden this year. Apart from the greenhouse where my son-in-law planted half a dozen tomato plants and a courgette and those are all doing very well. At some stage I'll have to make the decision as to how soon I will move house as both the house and the garden are a bit big for me on my own. As you say, another sadness.

Susan said...

We're having a crazy hot July here in Arizona with record-breaking heat. Even our pool is too warm to swim in. Thank goodness for air conditioning! I would die (literally) otherwise.

I might have to read that canal boat series. My husband has been dying to take a canal boat trip in England, but he hasn't managed to do it yet. He can't convince me to do it with him since I think it sounds really boring. Maybe the books will change my mind??

Cath said...

Susan: Really sorry to hear that you're suffering record breaking heat over there. That's horrible. So glad you have AC!

I would love to go on a canal boat holiday but yes I think it probably is a holiday where not a lot happens and you just lie back and relax... apart from the locks.

Cassie said...

Oh the tennis has got me over the last few weeks, and I'm already super excited about the Olympic tennis starting soon - although gutted that Sinner and Murray have both pulled out!

Paolini completely won my heart in Wimbledon so I'm looking forward to seeing how she does at the Olympics

Sam said...

Well done, Cath. You had a nice varied set of books to share with us, and I plan to look into a couple of them a little more. Some of the ones of yours that most intrigue me are often not available in the US for some reason. Seems sometimes like publishers just want to repackage the same old stuff that's sold well for them in the past.

Nan said...

I am saddened to hear this.

Cath said...

Cassie: The Olympics was good wasn't it? I loved athletics week.

Cath said...

Sam: It does annoy me how publishers mess about with what's available and what's not. I also hate how much places like Amazon charge for us in the UK to buy American books, so it looks like they're messing about with all of us!