Friday 7 April 2023

A quick catch-up before Easter

I've finished two books since my March wrap-up post. First up, The Wizard's Butler by Nathan Lowell.

Afghanistan veteran, Roger Mulligan, is desperate for a job. He applies for a position as a butler-come-carer to an elderly man, Joseph Shackleford. His neice thinks the old man has dementia because he thinks he's a wizard. And indeed he is showing signs of that horrible disease, not always knowing who people are, not remembering recent events, that kind of thing. And then a friend lets slip about an amulet and Mulligan discovers that Shackleford is indeed wearing such a necklace and is told by him in his more lucid moments that it is stealing his mind and if he takes it off he will die. Mulligan is not inclined to believe him of course... until he realises that the massive house he's living in never needs cleaning and the garden is neat and tidy without the aid of a gardener. 'Pixies', he's told. The niece has hired Mulligan for one year after which she wants her uncle in a care home with his house razed to the ground and the land sold for condos. The big problem with that plan is that Mulligan has become rather attached to the old man... So, this was a recommendation from a friend that I was very pleased to get as it was something a bit different: not your usual fantasy offering. We follow Roger quite closely as he learns how to do his new butlering job. There's a lot of detail and you might think it would be tedious, but it's not at all. The book certainly isn't 'high' fantasy, it's more based on everyday life where ordinary people don't know that there are a few people with 'talent' who can do unusual things. Sometimes the people who have a talent are not aware of it either. The setting is a big city somewhere, I don't think it was actually stated, and the house is old, old, old and quite a character in its own right. The main plot is that of the awful niece and her shenanigans but there were a lot of other things to enjoy in this first book of a new series. I look forward to book 2. I gather Nathan Lowell is known more for his sci-fi so I'll try those at some stage. 

Next, The Horned God: Weird Tales of the Great God Pan edited by Michael Wheatley.

This is another of the British Library's 'Weird Tales' collections. There're 16 contributions altogether, a mix of short stories and poems. Authors include Arthur Machen whose story The Great God Pan, from 1894, is thought to be the one all the subsequent stories sprang from. A mad scientist type opperates on a young woman's brain and the story meanders around telling what happened to various men when they married a predatory woman. It's an odd tale, very well told and I discovered it was best not to jump to conclusions. I found the rest of the collection to be a bit patchy, some good stories, some I was not as keen on, and various poems which are not really my thing. An exerpt from The Wind in the Willows, The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, was well worth a reread even though I only read it back in November. Very atmospheric. The Music on the Hill by Saki was a creepy tale along the lines of 'Be careful what you wish for'. I'd read The Story of a Panic by E.M. Forster before but it's well worth a reread this story of a group of people staying in a villa in Italy and an outing they go on to the forest. The atmosphere of oppressive heat is almost tangible. I usually like Algernon Blackwood's weird tales but I thought, A Touch of Pan was not one of his best. The Golden Bough by an unknown author to me, David H. Keller, was very good, recounting a newly wedded couple's search for a house the wife has seen in a dream. They find it eventually in the midst of a forest and what happens makes for an atmospheric, claustrophobic tale. As I said, I found this collection to be a bit mixed - the writing was never less than excellent though and it was interesting reading various authors' take on The Great God Pan.

We're having visitors for a few days over Easter so not a lot of reading will get done I suspect. I won't be choosing a new fiction book but will just meander along with these two non-fictions for a while.

Mail Obsession: A Journey Around Britain by Postcode by Mark Mason tracks the author's quest to visit all 124 postcode areas in the UK. This is perfect for anyone who loves quirky facts and I've laughed a 'lot'. 


Sorry I'm Late, I didn't Want to Come by Jessica Pan charts what happens when a shy introvert tries to get herself out of her comfort zone for a year. I've only just started this but so far it involves starting conversations with strangers (trains, buses etc.) and speaking in public to an audience. I bought this because I thought it sounded interesting and it is. I am an introvert too, but not a shy one, I have no problem talking to strangers though having to give a speech would terrify me as much as it terrifies the author. I must admit I do like this kind of psychology, non-fiction read. 

Anyway, I hope you're all well, finding lots of good books to read and if you celebrate Easter then - Happy Easter!


16 comments:

Lark said...

The Wizard's Butler sounds so good! I think I would really like that one. And I enjoyed reading Sorry I'm Late. I related to a lot of things in it, though I'm not nearly as shy as the author, or as adverse to social things. But it was a fun read. Happy Easter! :D

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

Well! Wouldn't you know it - I actually think that my wish list is safe this time around, although I am pleased that you enjoyed your latest reads of course :)

I might possibly purchase 'Mail Obsession' as a gift, or maybe as a book I could dip in and out of, as I can imagine this one being full of quirky facts. I look forward to seeing how you get along with it.

I hope that you enjoy the company of your guests and hope you all have a Happy Easter :)

Margot Kinberg said...

You have a nice variety here, Cath. I like the idea of trying new things and 'stretching' oneself a bit. I'm usually not much of a fantasy reader, but The Wizard's Butler does sound really interesting, and with good characters, too. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Cath said...

Lark: yes, I think you might like The Wizard's Butler. Maybe I heard about Sorry I'm Late from your blog? I wondered why I had it. LOL I am definitely an introvert, not comfortable at parties where I don't know anyone, would rather be at home etc. But I'm not really shy, I like meeting new people and talking to them.

Happy Easter to you too!

Cath said...

Yvonne: So glad to hear your wish list is safe from me today. LOL! Thank you.

Mail Obsession would make a perfect gift, that's how I got mine in fact, a Christmas or b/day gift, not sure now. It's very funny and full of rather interesting facts and thoughts, some surprising, some ironic, that sort of thing.

Thank you, Happy Easter to you too.

Cath said...

Margot: Yes, I like the idea of trying new things and stretching oneself. I just don't do as much of it as I used to. I think The Wizard's Butler is the kind of fantasy book that people who don't read fantasy could read. There's a lot more to it than the usual fantasy tropes.

TracyK said...

The Wizard's Butler sounds very good. It sounds like an unusual book. I have never heard of the author. I will put his name and this book on my book sale list and maybe I will find something there. My son always checks out the science fiction and fantasy tables at the sale.

Mail Obsession sounds very good too, and it is easily available as a Kindle at a good price. So I have already bought that one.

I might actually do that with The Wizard's Butler too, because, although the cost of the Kindle doesn't fit my limit, it is available via Prime for free.

FictionFan said...

I'm glad you enjoyed The Horned God even if you found it a bit patchy. I thoroughly enjoyed it too, especially for the way it gave all different kinds of angles on Pan. We picked out some of the same stories - The Great God Pan, The Golden Bough (which I thought had some wonderful horror imagery at the end) and The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, which was where I first made Pan's acquaintance many decades ago!

Margaret @ BooksPlease said...

They all sound interesting and I'd like to read each one, even The Horned God - and I'm not a big fan of short stories. Both Mail Obsession and Sorry I'm Late, I Didn't Want to Come look excellent. I'm spoilt for choice.

Sam said...

I really like the sound of "The Wizard's Butler." I usually enjoy the more subdued brand of fantasy and that's what this one sounds like; not the hardcore fantasies that I always find it so hard to buy into anymore.

And I like the book on UK post codes, too, but I doubt that one is available in the US. Wonder what it says about my old post code of TW1?

Cath said...

Tracy: The author, Nathan Lowell, was new to me too but he has written quite a few books. Glad you managed to get Mail Obsession cheap on Kindle... I think it's a lot of fun. I love quirky facts. Also pleased The Wizard's Butler is free on Prime! Good result all round!

Cath said...

FictionFan: I can't remember where I first met Pan, most likely in The Wind in the Willows too but when I reread it recently I didn't remember that chapter at all. I think it was another story where I first became aware but I can't now remember the author or title, I just have a vague memory of something that wasn't Arthur Machen.

Cath said...

Margaret: The two non-fictions I'm reading at the moment are indeed good. Gentle reading for Easter while I was busy. I've also just started a vintage crime yarn for the 1940 Club.

Cath said...

Sam: No, The Wizard's Butler is in no way hardcore fantasy with all the various tropes that I find a bit tedious these days.

I checked the TW postcode - Twickenham, right? It gives a fact for Heathrow airport which I didn't realise was near Twickenham. It says:

'TW (Twickenham): Heathrow's Terminal 4 was built with gates 12 and 14 at opposite ends of the building, so that superstitious travellers wouldn't notice the absence of a gate 13.'

Sam said...

That's a weird reference for Twickenham, Cath. I did live just barely the other side of Richmond Bridge and did all of my shopping and service gathering there rather than in Twickenham. I would never have considered Heathrow as part of that postcode, but I guess it was on the extreme other edge of the area from where I lived. I liked the postcode because I'm a huge rugby fan and it placed me very close to The Stoop and the national stadium (I could hear the singing of "God Save the Queen" through my open windows on match days.

I'm going to see if I can manage to find a copy of The Wizard's Butler." Not as easy as before now that the Book Depository is shutting its doors.

I hope you all have been well.

Cath said...

Sam: Well, exactly. I did find a fact for Twickenham that did 'not' involve rugby in one form or another really 'odd'. And Heathrow? 'Go figure' as you say over there.

You could try the library for The Wizard's Butler. I'm not sure it's worth spending a lot of money to get hold of it. Yes, a real shame about The Book Depository as I know a lot of Americans used it as way to get books.

Yes, we're fine thanks. And you? Nice to see you around again.