Sunday 23 April 2023

Catching up

I am, as usual, a bit behind with reviews so it's time for a quick catch-up. First up, The Blood Gospel by James Rollins and Rebecca Cantrell. 

Dr. Erin Granger is an archaeologist working with a team of students on a dig in Israel. She's suddenly yanked away from that by the military to look at something that's come to light on a mountain top at Masada. It seems there's the entrance to a tomb and they need her to accompany the expedtion into the mountain to see what the tomb contains. Unfortunately, while they're down there a massive earthquake occurs, plus they're attacked by powerful forces unknown. It leaves only three of them alive, Erin herself, an American sergeant, Jordan Stone, and a priest, Father Rhun Korza. Korza admits they are down there to find a book, a gospel in fact, and that the forces who attacked them are after it too. But what is this unique gospel and why is everyone so desperate to get hold of it? And who are their enemies in this? Erin's safe, scientific world is about to be turned right on its head by the discoveries she's about to make. Well now, I think this is the first James Rollins book I've read. And as it's co-authored by Rebecca Cantrell I've no idea how typical this is of his work. I thought he wrote adventure books with a touch of the supernatural, I didn't know he wrote this kind of religion based horror novel. It was actually quite nice to be 'so' surprised by a book! 'But' I think some people would not like this one as a huge suspension of disbelief is paramount to enjoyment. There's a strong Roman Catholic background to the story, much speculation, and quite a big reveal as to the character of Rhun Korza which I'm not going to spoil. It's definitely an armchair travelling kind of book. It starts in Israel, trots off to Germany, thence to Russia (more big reveals) and from there ends in the Vatican City in Rome. It should be said here that I love a good 'weird' book and this is 'so' weird. I wouldn't say the characterisation was amazing, some characters are a bit wooden, I did like Erin but then I'm a sucker for archaeologists in books. For me this was a hugely fun romp of a book which I loved. I know others might think it ridiculous and that's fine, each to their own. I gave it five stars and as it's the first in a series of three main books I'm already deciding when to read book two. 

And next, as they say, for something completely different - Winter in Paradise by Elin Hilderbrand. This is my April book for my Read Around the USA challenge which this month covers the US overseas territories of American Samoa, the North Marianna Islands, Puero Rico and the US Virgin Islands. Winter in Paradise is set mainly in the US Virgin Islands. I wanted to read something from the North Marianna Islands as I remembered Martin Clunes going there in his doc. series about Pacific Islands, and how rugged and beautiful those particular islands are, but I couldn't find a book that appealed. No matter. 

Irene Steele lives in Iowa City with her husband, Russell. They have two sons, Baker and Cash, both grown up with lives of their own, and live in a beautiful, large Victorian house which Irene has renovated herself and is very proud of. Russell is not home very much. He changed jobs some years ago and suddenly they became mega-rich... but she isn't really sure what he now does and where all the money comes from. When she gets a phone call telling her that Russ has died in a helicopter crash along with the pilot and an unknown woman, in the American Virgin Islands, she has no idea what to think. She was not aware Russ had ever been to these islands but when she's told he owned a huge villa there she has to do some serious readjusting of her thoughts. Irene heads to the islands along with her two sons, determined to find some answers. But some answers inevitably throw up more and more questions, especially when there's a campaign of silence among the people who have said answers... So, another book I couldn't put down. First of all I will say that I wasn't mad about Irene or her sons. I found them tricky to identify with but I'm a sucker for the 'husband with a secret other life' trope. Probably because it's a mystery and secrets are involved and I love a slow reveal of the truth, especially if it's quite shocking. It was also interesting to watch the family integrate into the island, getting to know the people Russ knew, the house where he lived, but also strive to keep their own secrets from each other. As to the American Virgin Islands, I knew they were in the Caribbean but not where exactly. Well the sequence goes, Cuba, Haiti and the Dominican Republic,  Puerto Rico, The American Virgin Islands, the British Virgin Islands... all in row across the Caribbean. So there you go. They sound absolutely beautiful. I gather Elin Hilderbrand has a home there and this series of books, known as the 'Paradise' trilogy, is a homage to the islands and places mentioned, even bars and restaurants, are real. So, this book could be read as a standalone but it doesn't give all the answers. There's another phonecall right at the end. And yes, I do want to know what transpires and have already bought book two. Like I said, I'm a sucker.

So two five star reads in row. That's always nice. And now I can't decide what to read next in that way that happens when you've read a couple of good books in a row, quickly, both pageturners. Neither of them were particularly intellectual or challenging, just great, fun reads and that suits me fine. 

I hope you're all keeping well, and enjoying your reading as much as me.


14 comments:

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

'Winter In Paradise' sounds like a good read. When I saw you gave it 5 stars on Goodreads and I checked it out, I wasn't quite sure whether it would have a definitive enough ending for me, as you say it is part of a trilogy; just in case I don't get around to reading the sequels. However, after reading your detailed review, I think I might get away with treating this as stand alone story, without being too disappointed. So, it is heading for my wish list.

I had to go back and read your review of 'The Blood Gospel' a couple of times, before deciding to add it to my wish list, especially as you don't mention this being part of a series, so that obviously wasn't an issue for you. Also, I am not generally a fan of co-authored books, as I have come across a few where the writing doesn't appear entirely seamless, although sometimes it works fine. I think this book would have great potential as a film, as it sounds like a cross between 'The Da Vinci Code' and an 'Indiana Jones' film, a theological adventure. I don't think I have read any of James's books before and I'm not sure I would enjoy them all, but this series quite appeals to me.


Two great reviews by the way, both really helpful :)

Margot Kinberg said...

You've got two interesting books there, Cath! I like Rebecca Cantrell's Hannah Vogel series very much, so the fact that she's co-author of The Blood Gospel intrigues me. And Winter in Paradise has such an appealing setting and an interesting premise. I can see why both of these appealed to you.

Lark said...

There's not usually a religious element in James Rollins' books, but he does write very action-packed page turners with lots of adventure and suspense. I don't know how I missed The Blood Gospel, but it sounds like a fun read. And I'm a sucker for archaeology mysteries, too. :D

CLM said...

I also like those books where it turns out the spouse has a secret life too, although when it happens in real life, I feel so sorry for the poor survivor!

I have a book by Rebecca Cantrell I stopped reading halfway through due to boredom, so I am glad she paired up with someone better at plots!

Nan said...

My sister-in-law goes to St. John and her pictures show how lovely it is. And rather small and quite safe. Kind of perfect. https://www.visitusvi.com/st-john
And my childhood and still friend's son and family live on St. Thomas! Think of your home being in such a place. https://www.visitusvi.com/st-thomas
Bigger and more populated.
These places have wild donkeys, peacocks, and iguanas around!

Cath said...

Yvonne: Oh yes, Winter in Paradise can easily be read as a standalone, you certainly don't have to read the other two books. I'm curious though so will read on, probably during the Summer reading challenge as it would be perfect for that.

I'm not a huge fan of co-authored books, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I think maybe it depends on how well you know the writing of both authors and as I didn't know either I didn't have a problem with this one. I think you're spot-on when you say it would make a good film. There's so much going on that I'm sure it would keep a cinema audience very well entertained.

Thanks for stopping by to comment, I appreciate your support. Have a good week!

Cath said...

Margot: I've just checked out Rebecca Cantrell's Fantastic Fiction page as I didn't know she had written the HV series. They seem to be set in inter-war Berlin and that's 'always' a fascinating setting. I'll put it on my lists of books to investigate at some stage. The thing about Winter in Paradise is that there was such an air of mystery about it and that was enough to keep me interested. If that hadn't been there, if it had been pure romance, I suspect I might've dnfed it.

Cath said...

Lark: You know, I didn't think there was usually a religious element in JR's books but yes, 'definitely' action packed! I loved it and think it would be worth your giving it a try. Funny that again we have something in common - a liking for archaeologists in our fiction.

Cath said...

Constance: oh gosh yes, it would be horrible to have that happen in real life! I watch programmes on TV where adopted people are searching via DNA for relatives and it is surprising how many involve secret lives and families.

I'm quite interested to read something by Rebecca Cantrell as opinions seem to be divided!

Cath said...

Nan: How lovely that your sister-in-law goes to St. John and your friend has family there as well. Exactly... 'think of your home being in such a place'. Wonderful. And thanks for the links.

CLM said...

I think your next book should be Wrong Place Wrong Time by Gillian McAllister. The whole time I was reading it, I thought you would like it. It's about a woman who sees her son murder someone, and is so horrified she starts going backward in time (involuntarily) and realizes she is there to prevent the crime from building.

TracyK said...

I cannot believe how this month is going by so fast. The last day of this month, Sunday, Glen will have to check to see about going in for jury duty.

You have reviewed two very interesting books there, and neither one sounds like my kind of book, but who knows? I definitely like the "husband with a secret life" type of story too, the one I remember reading was Anita Shreve's The Pilot's Wife. I will think about reading that one. I have no experience with books by Elin Hilderbrand.

I am also very curious about The Blood Gospel, partly because I have read two books by Rebecca Cantrell, and they were very, very good. (That series is the Hannah Vogel series -- that Margot mentioned -- and is set in 1931 Berlin.) The premise of The Blood Gospel is not my type of thing but I have no problem suspending disbelief and you enjoyed it a lot, so I will look for this at the book sale. My son can help me since he scours the science fiction and fantasy tables and it could be there or in mystery.

Cath said...

Constance: The only problem with that is that I'm not at all keen on time travel type narratives. I don't know why but they just annoy me.

Cath said...

Tracy: I know, it doesn't seem five minutes since I did my last monthy review and here I am, thinking about one for April!

I've read The Pilot's Wife too, quite a few years ago, and liked it if memory serves. Sadly, I can't remember whether it was similar to Winter in Paradise. This is my first book by Elin Hilderbrand too, and I was quite impressed. I have one of her Christmas books on my Kindle which I'll read in December.

If Margot is recommending Rebecca Cantrell's Hannah Vogel series too I should definitely try them! The book sales you and your family go to sound wonderful!