Monday 14 August 2023

I have been reading...

Yet another catch-up post from me. I've been reading but not enthusiastically for some reason. Possibly not finding books to suit my mood right now. 

I was almost halfway through The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie before I realised I'd read it before. Checking Goodreads, it was 2016, long enough for me to have forgotten whodunit so I carried on. Good book, even on the second reading.

Then I read a YA fantasy, The Left-handed Booksellers of London by Garth Nix, my 12th. book for  Susan's Bookish Books Reading challenge.

Susan Arkshaw has just turned 18. She lives with her airy-fairy mother in Somerset, a mother who will not talk about who Susan's father is. Longing to get away, she gets a place at an art college in London but sets off early with the idea of starting a search for her father. Going to see an uncle she's just in time to see him turned to dust by 'Merlin', a young man who is a member of a secret organisation, The Booksellers of London. They are guardians a of a sort, protecting the world from the dangerous creatures of myth and legend of The Old World. The Booksellers fall into two categories, left-handed or right and thus have different skills and abilities. It soon becomes apparent that there's something different about Susan and someone sees her existence as dangerous. Who, from The Old World, is after her? It's quite clear that her father really must be found. So, this was a fun read. A bit sort of 'Chosen One' in theme, but that's fine as I quite like that. I thought the world building - an alternate 1983 - was very good: Garth Nix is a seasoned author with a lot of experience of that, witness his 'Old Kingdom' series, which is terrific. There're a lot of bookish references in the story, so that's fun. I enjoyed the dash across England to The Lake District too. So, not a bad start to a new series, I think book 2, The Sinister Booksellers of Bath, is already out so I'll read that at some point. 

Lastly, A Murder of Crows by Sarah Yardwood-Lovett. This was free with Prime Reading, along with the next two in the series.

Dr. Nell Ward is an Ecologist. Bats are more or less her life apart from the secrets she doesn't share with her colleagues. She's surveying a tunnel that runs under a house when she hears an odd noise and leaves because it unnerves her. Next thing she knows she's a suspect in a murder case because a woman is found dead not far from where she was... the woman she was supposed to meet at the house a bit later in fact. She didn't know her but the police thinks she did and things begin to spiral out of control very quickly. Because she knows the police are barking up the wrong tree and that there's a murderer on the loose, Nell and her colleague, Adam, begin to investigate. It's not long before Nell begins to suspect she's been set up. So, this was another quite enjoyable crime yarn. The ecological aspect was different but I did feel the author wanted us to know how much she knew about bats. I felt like quite the expert by the time I'd finished the book. I also felt the triangular love interest thing was rather a distraction, two men after one woman is ok for a bit but I got the feeling this was going to drag on into subsequent books and could quickly become old. (I completely agree that I'm ancient and thus not the target audience for this kind of thing.) Anyway, not a bad first book, different enough to keep me reading the Prime Reading instalments but possibly not enough to buy a load.

Having talked briefly last time about my husband's various illnesses, he caught me on the hop last week and found a new one: Cellulitis. We've no clue where it came from but the angry, red inflammation on his leg turned out to be just that and I'm so glad we nipped to the doctor sharpish and caught it early. A lot of people worry about bothering the dr. unnecessarily, including 'me'. My advice is 'don't'. If something's doesn't look right, it probably isn't - get it looked at. Here endeth the first lesson...

Happy reading, August here in the UK continues to feel just like autumn and that's fine by me but I do feel for people around the world who're going through awful things at the moment, the island of Maui for instance. We live in challenging times. 


12 comments:

Margot Kinberg said...

It is terrible, isn't it, Cath, what's been happening on Maui. I hurt very much for those people. As for your reading, you had some interesting variety, which I think is a way to ward off 'reader burnout.' It can still happen, though, which is why I don't beat myself up if I don't keep up my usual reading pace for one or another reason. For me, reading should be a great pleasure, not a fraught contest, if that makes sense.

Lark said...

What happened in Maui breaks my heart. I've been there several times and absolutely loved visiting and walking around Lahaina. I feel so bad for the people there and all that they've lost! Life can be so sad sometimes.

I like the sound of the books you did finish and enjoy reading. Both sound like ones I would like. And it made me giggle when you realized you'd already read that particular Agatha Christie novel, mostly because it's happened to me before, too. :D

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

There are so many disasters both natural and man-made, going on all over the world right now, I could work myself into an early grave worrying about them all. Dave used to work with someone who lived in the States, but was born on Maui and has plenty of family still living there. So we have been thinking of them at this time, even though he and Dave lost touch when they left the company and went their separate ways, so we don't know if they are in the affected area.

Perhaps it is a combination of all this news doom and gloom, but I have also lost much of my reading 'mojo' recently. Having put the blog to bed and walked away from it without a backwards glance, which I was most surprised about, I am now considering the need for writing reviews at all. I feel that I simply want to read for my own enjoyment, using Goodreads to record my catalogue, with ratings and perhaps just a short paragraph review. I totally agree with Margot's sentiment that reading should not be a fraught contest, unless of course it is your job to do so.

I too, read 'The Murder Of Roger Ackroyd' many moons ago, but I wouldn't think twice about re-reading it if I found a copy tucked away at the back of one of my many bookshelves. I'm pleased that you enjoyed it the second time around.

I have added 'A Murder Of Crows' to my wish list, just to see if this is a series I want to invest in. I see that there are already six books and I really liked to suite of cover art, although I know that shouldn't influence me.

We have literally just been having one of those 'medical' discussions about what constitutes the necessity to try and get a GP consultation. I am very much of the 'keep your distance from the medical profession' camp, however it sounds as though P got examined at the optimum time to avoid complications, so my argument has just been shot down in flames, although I am not going to give Dave the satisfaction by telling him of your experience!!

Happy August Reading :)

TracyK said...

After seeing your post, I looked up cellulitis, and it does sound as if it could be very dangerous if it goes untreated. Smart of you and Peter to go to the doctor right away.

The fire on Maui was shocking and so sad. So many deaths. Fires and floods and extreme temperatures, it seems like it never stops.

I reread The Murder of Roger Ackroyd in the last couple of years, after having read it once decades before. And enjoyed it very much because it all felt new to me. A Murder of Crows also sounds good, especially free to read through Prime.

Margaret @ BooksPlease said...

I'm glad you enjoyed The Left-handed Booksellers of London. It's a book I've been thinking of reading and was pleased to find the e-book is a limited time deal at 99p, so I've downloaded it. I'm also interested in A Murder of Crows, although the triangular love thing makes me less keen to read it.

The fire on Maui is just dreadful - so many disasters one after another!

Cath said...

Margot: Really terrible, the destruction is so complete.

I don't stress about keeping up a reading schedule either, no one is keeping count and I've too much going on at the moment to worry about that. I do like variety though and that does save things from getting stale.

Cath said...

Lark: Oh gosh, you've actually been to Lahaina? That must make it extra hard for you to take it all in. Terrible thing.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who doesn't realise they've already read a book until they're halfway in. Too funny!

Cath said...

Yvonne: Another one with an actual connection to Maui, it's surprising how many people have. I do hope the family is ok.

We're on the same wavelength about blogging. I've cut back on the length of my reviews, just doing shorter ones now. I never put in the work you did and I always thought you did a sterling job for what was, 'is', free. No wonder you got burnout from it and now just want to read for pleasure. I understand that completely. If that's the way you decide to go try not to let publishers persuade you otherwise. Strikes me they're devils for that.

Oh, I'm with you on keeping my distance from the medical profession! For myself anyway. But with P I don't have a choice unfortunately. All the things he has mean I have to make some very 'uninformed' choices about when to call them in or not. This time I'm glad that I clearly made the right one but it's never easy.

Thanks for stopping by to comment.


Cath said...

Tracey: Yes, cellulitis can be very dangerous if left to go unchecked. A friend of mine did just that and ended up in hospital and was told that she could've died. But she had not heard of the illness and didn't know what she had and that it was that dangerous. Like you, Peter had not heard of it, quite a lot of people haven't.

I feel like the disasters are never ending too. Just endless 'stuff' and innocent people suffering.

Roger Ackroyd is a good one to reread and it was fine but I would've prefered to be reading an AC that I hadn't read before. I should've checked Goodreads. LOL

Cath said...

Margaret: Yes, the Left-handed Booksellers book is well worth a read. I was bored with the love triangle by the end of the crime book so if it continues on for several more books I don't honestly think I'd have any patience with it.

Sam said...

I just realized (and was kind of shocked in the process) that I have never read a book by Agatha Christie. I"m such a fan of detective/crime fiction that I was honestly surprised to learn that. I think I always figured she was a little to "cozy" to fit my taste, but now is the time to sample something of hers to learn the truth. Maybe the one you mention here is a good place to start.

Honestly, it's so hot here now - and for the past several weeks - that reading is about the only thing that offers much pleasure. I've lost count of how many days we've broken the 100 degree barrier, but our ten-day forecast is saying we have six more days of it before three days topping out between 92 and 98 degrees (small relief, that). Then the following day is forecast for a high of 104 degrees. Thank goodness for libraries.

Cath said...

Sam: Oh wow, that's quite something, never to have read an AC book... although I'm certain you're not alone. I read a few as a young teen and then never bothered with her again until I reached my 50s, so I'm not one to speak. LOL! I'm not sure I would describe her books as cozy. Not in that twee way that cozy books are these days. They have an edge and a humour to them that saves them from that, in my opinion anyway.

Yes, I remember years ago someone I knew holidaying in Texas and describing the heat as 'brutal'. I do hope you soon get some relief from that.