Thursday 3 January 2008

Catch-up reviews

Two short catch-up reviews of books read over the Christmas holidays, when I tend to go for easy reading. First of all, The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett.



My youngest daughter gave this to me for Christmas. I couldn't have been more delighted as I'd already given it to a friend as a Christmas gift and had decided to buy it for myself after Christmas. I'm not going to say too much about it, mainly because it's quite a short little book and anything I say would probably spoil it for other readers - assuming there's anyone left who hasn't already it! Basically, the Queen takes up reading when she comes across the mobile library outside the palace. One book leads to another as they tend to and... well the result is an utterly charming, beautifully observed and funny read. I loved it and plan to read it all over again soon *and* try to read more of Alan Bennett's work, which I tend, sadly, to neglect.



I was a bit disappointed by A Moonlit Road and other Ghost and Horror Stories by Ambrose Bierce. I've read so many good ghost anthologies in the past and was hoping for the same from this famous author; it turned out I just wasn't all that struck. One or two stories stood out - The Man and the Snake was a creepy tale of what happens when you wake in the middle of the night and find there's a snake in your bedroom. I think it helps to be as afraid of snakes as I am. *g* And The Secret of Macarger's Gulch was an atmospheric tale of skulduggery in the American west. But otherwise the anthology was a bit average and I'm left wondering if it's not perhaps representative of the best of Bierce's work.

Current read: Inkheart by Cornelia Funke

7 comments:

DesLily said...

I just looked up Uncommon Reader and between your write up and amazon it looks like a fun read! Dang it.. another wish list! *sigh* I can't tell you how long that dang list is getting!!! And I want them ALL... eventually, when I can afford them. (amazons book cover isn't as nice as yours in England!)

I am glad when one that looks interesting isn't "brand new".. then I also check it at "bookcloseouts".. I've gotten some good bargains there! But I have to (HAVE TO) cutback on buying for a while. :o(

Cath said...

It's very much a fun read, Pat, poking gentle fun at the monarchy without being cruel.

My tbr pile is so big that I need to not buy anything for a while now. Trouble is I keep reading reviews of exciting sounding books and noting them down... I'm sure you know the rest.

DesLily said...

ya think? LOL LOL my tbr pile keeps growing and growing!! And I know I'm making it worse by doing some re-reading!!! I will alternate from rereads to tbr pile but still...

and to think I never had more than 2 or 3 in a tbr pile before I got mixed up with Carl and this group of readers!! sheesh!

Eloise said...

It's a shame about the Bierce; he did write an awful lot and it can be a bit up and down, perhaps they didn't pick the best? My favourite story of his is A Bottomless Grave. It's very funny, although very dark and unpleasant - which is what I love about it! If you feel like giving him another go it's here (sorry - still don't know how to put links in comments): http://www.gutenberg.org/files/
15599/15599-h/
15599-h.htm#A_BOTTOMLESS_GRAVE

Cath said...

Eloise: I did wonder too if the anthology didn't include his best work. And it wasn't all average, a few stories were quite good. I think I need to reread some M.R. James and E.F. Benson to remind myself of some really good ghost writing. Thanks for the URL, I'm just off to find it.

Eloise said...

Hi Cath, it's in Collected Works Volume 8 on P. G. - I hope you like it after all this!

Cath said...

Eloise: I have it! I'll be reading it soon and will let you know what I think. *g*