Thursday 17 February 2011

Library Loot

Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Claire from The Captive Reader and Marg from The Adventures of an Intrepid Reader that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library. If you’d like to participate, just write up your post-feel free to steal the button-and link it using the Mr. Linky any time during the week. And of course check out what other participants are getting from their libraries!



The library seems to be a place I really can't keep away from, even though I really don't need any more books at the moment. My excuse is that I had a reserved book to collect and a couple to take back, including the biography of A.A. Milne that I had been looking forward to reading. The reason I returned it was because the print turned out to be too small for my middle-aged eyesight! Upset? Me? Just a bit... Anyway, I've reserved a hardback edition and hopefully that'll be okay.

So these are are the four books I picked up today:



The Short Life and Long Times of Mrs Beeton by Kathryn Hughes. This I plan to read for my Foodie challenge which is being hosted by Margot at Joyfully retired

The Surgeon by Tess Gerritson. A replacement for the paperback that had two pages missing. Ever get the feeling that there are certain books you're not meant to read? Me too...

A Short History of Slavery by James Walvin. I've no idea why I picked this up or whether I will even read it, but I hope I will.

Mariana by Monica Dickens. I saw this blogged about very recently and am not now sure where it was. Apologies. But I thought it sounded like a good read so I reserved it. Expecting a pretty Persephone book to arrive, instead I got this battered blue volume. LOL. But that's fine, what's inside will be exactly the same.

So those are my newest library acquisitions. I have four others unread and two I'm in the middle of. Ten, in other words. Five more than I set as a limit at the beginning of January. No answer to that really, is there?

~~~oOo~~~

9 comments:

verity said...

Mariana is lovely. Too bad you didn't get a Persephone edition. Maybe you can read it and join in with Persephone Reading Weeekend at the end of the month?

DesLily said...

none of us do very well with resolves when it comes to books..heh..not surprising at all sis!!

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

Hi Cath,

I really do manage to stay away from the library, which is not very public spirited of me at the moment, especially when the headline on the 'Frome Times' tonight, says that the library will be reducing their opening hours by 20%, haven't had chance to read the full blurb yet!!!!

I have so many books in my TBR pile, that library books are a treat that I can ill afford just now.

You have a great selection there, my favourite would be the Tess Gerritsen.

Yvonne

Claire (The Captive Reader) said...

I loved Mariana - it was my first Persephone. I rather like reading Persephone titles in other editions, which may seem a little odd. The uniformity of the grey covers is very pretty but it masks to some extent the unique qualities and histories of the titles unlike older editions where the focus is on the book itself rather than its exterior or its place in the Persephone catalogue.

Enjoy your loot!

Susan said...

LOL! I love how you say you can't stay away from the library just now, because I can't either! I'll have to post about it tomorrow. I have the LIfe of Mrs Beeton, it looks interesting, doesn't it? Enjoy your books!

Cath said...

Verity: Perhaps it was your blog I saw the review on. I haven't been able to make a Persephone reading weekend yet but it does look like I might be free at the end of the month and if so I will join in.

Pat: Yeah, it seems to be very common disease within the book blogging community... lack of ability to resist acquiring more. LOL. I'm just glad I'm not alone.

Yvonne: Devon closed a few libraries - including my daughter's - several years ago so I've heard (not sure if it's true) that this time they've been ring-fenced. I hope so.

I was determined to get a readable copy of The Surgeon. LOL. I've been fated not to, there was even a charity shop in Cardiff with loads of them, all except The Surgeon.

Clare.: No... I understand exactly what you mean, funnily enough. I think the copy of Mariana I saw though was not a plain grey one but one of the new special editions. Why I thought the library would have that I'm not exactly sure...

Susan: Wonderful! Someone else with the adiction. I was thinking that 'misery loves company' but I don't feel at all miserable about loving the library. I hope you find time to post about your library books.

Yes, the Mrs. Beeton does look interesting. Some time ago I heard Clarissa Dickson-Wright say that Mrs. Beeton had single handedly ruined British cuisine for a almost the entire 20th. century and that we are only just recovering. I thought that was a very interesting point of view so am intrigued to read her autobiography.

Val said...

Mariana by Monica Dickens

never heard of it but after your intro and a quick google...(does that sound smutty ? sorry Cath...) you know a lot of my comments seem to sound rather Victoria Wood lately hohum can't think of sensible reason so won't try
I've now added the book to my library list ...:0)

Linda said...

All look fantastic. Enjoy!

Cath said...

Val: No need to be sensible on my account! Your comments always make me laugh so keep at 'em!

Linda: They don't look at all bad do they... I'm sure I will enjoy them.