Sunday 9 January 2022

Back To The Classics challenge 2022

For several years running I've thought about doing the Back to Classics challenge which I've seen several of the blogs I follow participating in. This year I thought I'd jump in and give it a go.

 

The challenge is hosted by Books and Chocolates and the sign-up post is HERE where you'll find a lot more detail.

There are 12 categories to fill and the challenge lasts all year. I've put in a few suggestions for myself but those could very well change and probably will.


1. A 19th century classic. Any book first published from 1800 to 1899 
 
Possibly Persuasion or Mansfield Park by Jane Austen. Or something by George Elliot.

2. A 20th century classic. Any book first published from 1900 to 1972. All books must have been published at least 50 years ago; the only exceptions are books which were written by 1972 and posthumously published. 
 
Little Big Man - Thomas Berger?

3. A classic by a woman author.  
 
The Age of Innocence - Edith Wharton?

4. A classic in translation.  Any book first published in a language that is not your primary language. You may read it in translation or in its original language, if you prefer. 

5. A classic by BIPOC author. Any book published by a non-white author. 
 
The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexander Dumas?

6.
 Mystery/Detective/Crime Classic. It can be fiction or non-fiction (true crime). Examples include Murder on the Orient Express, Crime and Punishment, In Cold Blood. 
 
 (I have 'too' much choice for this category!)

7. A Classic Short Story Collection. Any single volume that contains at least six short stories. The book can have a single author or can be an anthology of multiple authors. 

(I have the Persephone book of short stories but I'll have to check the age of some of the stories as they might be less than 50 years old.)

8. Pre-1800 Classic. Anything written before 1800. Plays and epic poems, such as the Odyssey, are acceptable in this category.

9. A Nonfiction Classic. Travel, memoirs, and biographies are great choices for this category. 

 A Thousand Miles up the Nile - Amelia Edwards?

10. Classic That's Been on Your TBR List the Longest. Find the classic book that's been hanging around unread the longest, and finally cross it off your list! 

No idea which classic I've had the longest but I've had Our Mutual Friend by Dickens for eons and I want to read it.

11. Classic Set in a Place You'd Like to Visit. Can be real or imaginary -- Paris, Tokyo, the moon, Middle Earth, etc. It can be someplace you've never been, or someplace you'd like to visit again.

12. Wild Card Classic. Any classic you like, any category, as long as it's at least 50 years old!

I won't be trying to do all 12 prompts. If it happens, fine, but I doubt it very much, 6 is much more likely. My aim really is to just to read some classics this year because last year I hardly read any.

 

19 comments:

Lark said...

I've got my sign post for this reading challenge coming this week. It was surprising how easy it was to fill up all the categories. That doesn't mean I'll get them all read this year, I tend to peter out on reading challenges by summer, but I'm going to try. And if I only get six read, that'll be good, too. I hope you do end up reading Edith Wharton this year; she's a favorite author of mine. Good luck with this one! :D

Cath said...

Lark: Oh excellent, I'll keep an eye out for your post. Yes, I have to admit I peter out a bit with challenges come the summer and start reading lots of light beachy type reads, LOL. Six is my aim and I think that's pretty good, certainly more than I managed last year. I plan to read the Edith Wharton, I've read several of her books and really enjoyed them. Thank you!

TracyK said...

I am going to do this one too. (After saying I would not be doing many challenges.) I really need to make a dent in my Classics Club list this year. It might be a while before I get my post up though.

I like the choices or possibilities you have on your list so far.

Amy Aline said...

I also have Persuasion on my list! I'm hoping to get 9 books in this year - it's the first year doing the Back to the Classics that I'm intentionally choosing to not do all 12.

Cath said...

Tracy: So pleased that you're doing this one too. Yes, I said the same to myself about challenges and then signed up for three. And not three 'easy' ones either. Oh well, I am a person who likes lists and structure in my reading so it's fine. I think. ;-)

I'm getting ideas from other people's lists so the books I've filled in may change but at the moment most of them are concrete plans.

Cath said...

Amy: Yes, I saw that you're reading Persuasion in February and might do my reread of that during that month as well.

I think 12 is huge commitment as some of the classics are *very* long. I want to read The Count of Monte Cristo for instance and that's a doorstop of over a thousand pages. I do think though that this challenge could become a regular thing with me as I have a massive list of classics I want to read and no way will I get them all read in one year.

Thanks for stopping by to comment, it's nice to meet you!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I decided not to sign up for any challenges but, I do want to read a few classics - I didn't read ANY in 2021. Jane Austen and Salinger are on my list. Good luck and enjoy.

Margaret @ BooksPlease said...

Glad you're doing this too! I think 6 is probably best for me as well - and they will count towards to my Classic Club list. I've no idea which classic I've had the longest either.

Sam said...

This looks like the perfect challenge to jump-start someone who hopes generally to read more classics in 2022. Each of the 12 categories could lead to other interesting self-challenges or books, too. Every year, I say I'm finally going to read more classics than I have in the past...and every year-end, I can count them on one hand. Good luck with this one, Cath. I'm looking forward to your thoughts on Little Big Man.

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

I totally agree and can relate to the previous comment from Sam! Every year I convince myself that this will be my time to read even just a couple of the dozens of classics I have on my list, but as the saying goes - "The world is paved with good intentions"!!

Maybe a few of the weekly 'freebies' from Dean Street Press, might fit some of your categories, which would potentially make life a little easier?

Are you done with signing up for challenges now, or do you see more just around the corner?

Good Luck :)

Cath said...

Diane: I think I just read one classic in 2021 and that was a reread of Emma. I don't recall any others though I could be wrong. I plan to do a bit better this year. Good luck to you too.

Margaret: I didn't want to end up stressing too much over any of my challenges so six is about right for this one. Especially as classics can take a bit longer to read anyway.

Cath said...

Sam: You're spot on when you say that any of the categories could lead to further reading. I'm quite prone to that kind of thing anyway so it'll be interesting to see. I definitely plan to read Little Big Man and already have it on my Kindle ready to read.

Cath said...

Yvonne: LOL... yes the world is indeed paved with good intentions and that's been the case with me for years re reading a few more classics.

Oh yes, now I hadn't thought of reading any of the Dean Street Press books. I have quite a few now and a couple of those might do very nicely.

Yes, all done with signing up for challenges now, three will do me nicely for the year. Whether or not I might end up doing one of the seasonal ones remains to be seen. I quite like The 20 Books of Summer one, but I can double books up if I decide to do that.

Elena Alice said...

I really enjoyed Persuasion, though Middlemarch is also a great one. So many options for that category! I like the BBC movie adaptations to both of those, which helped with the reading experiences. I also enjoyed The Count of Monte Cristo! and ditto to the movie, haha. Here are my Back to Classics picks, if interested! https://elle-alice.blogspot.com/2022/01/back-to-classics-2022.html

Cath said...

Elena: Persuasion would be a third reread for me so I may well go for something like Middlemarch just to read something new. Yes, quite a lot of options! Which doesn't make it easy. I'm definitely hoping to get to The Count of Monte Cristo this year. Better put aside a month or two for it. LOL!

Tammy Sparks said...

This challenge sounds fun. I wish I had more time to read classics:-) Good luck!

Cath said...

Tammy: Thank you!

R. E. Chrysta said...

Good on you for joining in this challenge Cath! It's my first time too and I hope you have a great time reading!

Cath said...

Ruth: Thank you. I've only read one book so far so I need to crack on and read more. Hopefully I can do so in April, there's still 9 months to go so plenty of time yet. Thanks for stopping by!