Monday 31 January 2022

Books read in January

Has January really gone that quickly? Apparently it has. That's scary. And it's such a long month too, always seems to keep on keeping on. Readingwise I feel like I made the most of it though. Ten books read and nearly all decent reads.

So without further ado, the books:

1. Northern Lights by Nora Roberts 

2. Dear Me by Peter Ustinov 

3. Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan 

4. An Elderly Lady Is Up To No Good by Helen Tursten 

5. The Winter People by Jennifer McMahon 

6. Future Crimes edited by Mike Ashley 

7. The 4.50 From Paddington by Agatha Christie 

8. All Systems Red by Martha Wells 

9. Under the Sea Wind by Rachel Carson. This non-fiction book charting the lives and journeys of various birds and fish off the coast of the USA was beautifully and lyrically written but somehow mananged not to engage me very much at all. I expected to love it but in fact struggled to finish it. I'm still wondering 'why'. 

10. The Etruscan Net by Michael Gilbert.

Michael Gilbert is now one of my favourite vintage crime writers and I have Tracy to thank for that. She reviewed several and I managed to find one of them, Close Quarters, absolutely loved it, and have since read several more. The Etruscan Net features Robert Broke who moved to Florence after the tragic death of his wife. He's running an antique store and book shop concentrating on the Etruscan civilisation, about which he's an expert. The father of Tina, the young woman who cooks and cleans for him, is killed in a 'supposed' hit and run accident and Broke comes under suspicion and is arrested. Three of his friends, an ex-commander of the Royal Navy, the daughter of a UK diplomat and Tina herself, come together to investigate as they don't believe that Broke did it. This one has quite a complicated plot involving the Mafia, and shady goings on over Etrusan artifacts. It also says a lot about Italian politics in the the late 1960s and how much it was wrapped up with police work. Anyway, very enjoyable, possibly not one of his best, but certainly very good. 

So, quite a good reading month, seven fiction books read and two non-fiction. Most were very good, one or two a bit average. My two favourite books of the month: Northern Lights by Nora Roberts and The 4.50 From Paddington by Agatha Christie. Places I've been to this month: Alaska and Vermont in the USA (all over that country in fact), Sweden, Italy, the UK, not to mention Outer Space. So not a bad bookish road-trip. 

At the beginning of the year I made a plan to challenge myself by trying to read one science fiction or fantasy book a month. I susprised myself and read 'three' in January, Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief, Future Crimes (an anthology) and All Systems Red by Martha Wells, the first in her 'Murderbot' series. Next month I'm hoping to read Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir.

Challenge-wise, I read three books for my 'Book Bingo' challenge, one for the 'Back to the Classics' and started the 'Read Around the World' challenge with Northern Lights by Nora Roberts. 

A few books I want to get to this month:

Wintering - Katherine May (just started)

The Dead of Winter - Nicola Upson (just started)

The Age of Innocence - Edith Wharton

Dear Mrs. Bird - A.J. Pearce

The Mysterious Mr. Quin - Agatha Christie

Percy Jackson and the Sea Monsters - Rick Riordan

Project Hail Mary - Andy Weir

The Splendid and the Vile - by Erik Larson

Deep South - Paul Theroux (the winter section)

Suspect I won't get to all of these but it's nice to have something to aim for. I'll be happy to get to half of them to be honest. 

I hope you had a good reading month in January and that you find some excellent books to read in February.


18 comments:

Jeane said...

I know what you mean about Rachel Carson. I've read that one, and another called Edge of the Sea- very similar. They are lovely, and so descriptive with the abundance of life- but also hard to feel connected to.

I look forward to what you think of Project Hail Mary! I enjoyed that one so much (more than I expected to).

Sam said...

You are off to a brilliant start this year, Cath. I've read some of the ones you read this month and plan to read in February, and enjoyed them enough to predict that you will enjoy your February reading a lot.

I haven't read Michael Gilbert's books at all, but they sound like something I need to take a good look at. This year I'm planning/trying to read more vintage fiction than I usually do, so he would fit right in. I'm in the middle of my very first Ellery Queen mystery at the moment, one called "The King Is Dead," that has been a pleasant surprise to this point. It was written in 1952, and I'm reading it from a rather ragged 1952 hardback that a friend of my father's gave me a few years ago. I find it extra fun to be able to read a 70 year old book from what seems to be a barely surviving first edition of it.

Lark said...

You're making good progress on your reading challenges! I feel like I'm already behind in mine. ;D I thought January went by fast, too, but I'm glad. January's always so cold and hazy and grey; I say the sooner we get through it the better. Happy reading in February!

TracyK said...

You had a great reading month, Cath. Much better than mine. I need to get back to some Michael Gilbert books.

I think that is a great idea to read Deep South season by season. I will be interested in what you think of the Nicola Upson book. I have only read on in that series and I have not decided whether to continue or not.

CLM said...

I was bored by the Michael Gilbert I read but sometimes book 1 in a series just doesn't deliver. I do enjoy Nora Roberts' suspense; some are predictable but most are well done. The one I read most recently had a heroine who was an audio book narrator which I found very interest.

Dear Mrs. Bird and The Splendid and the Vile were both fabulous so I suggest moving them high on your Feb list. When my book group discussed TSATV, we actually argued about the lost art of diary keeping and someone tried to tell me emails would be just as useful to future writers. I just hope most of my emails are NOT preserved for posterity.

Cath said...

Jeane: I wondered if it was just me as others seem to think her books are wonderful. And they are to a certain extent but I just couldn't connect somehow.

I'm expecting to like Project Hail Mary a lot. It really is my kind of book.

Cath said...

Sam: Yes, off to a good start. And I'm actually really looking forward to February's reading.

I love that you're reading a 70 year old book! That's amazing.

There's just one fly in the ointment for us at the moment. We had a lovely day with my eldest daughter on Sunday, Monday morning she tested positive for Covid (she works in a school). I think it's likely we'll go down with it too. My husband has health issues so now we're wondering what kind of a fun ride we're in for. As we're triple jabbed I'm hoping it won't be too awful. *Fingers crossed*

Cath said...

Lark: Yes, I like to get off to a good start with challenges in January, then when my enthusiasm wanes later in the year I have at least done 'something'. LOL!

I'm always so glad when January's behind us. February is a cold month but it tends not to be quite so 'dreary' in the UK.

Cath said...

Tracy: It was you and Glen who introduced me to Michael Gilbert so thank you for that. I love his humour.

I'm glad I decided to read Deep South by the season, it's really working for me. I'm trotting through the Nicola Upson book at a great rate of knots. It's really good. I read two at the beginning of the series and no more. Then a cousin passed book 9 to me because it's set in our home town in Cornwall, or nearby anyway, St. Michael's Mount. I think there's stuff I've missed so will go back read book 3 etc. but it reads fine as a standalone.

Cath said...

Constance: Sorry to hear you were bored by your first Michael Gilbert book, that's a shame. I would say that The Etruscan Net is not his best either but I was not bored by it.

What was the title of the Nora Roberts book you read recently? A heroine who's an audio book narrator sounds fascinating.

I'll probably be reading Dear Mrs. Bird next as I've heard such a lot of good things about it. That and Percy Jackson #2 maybe. I've a feeling we're going down with Covid over the next week so I'm going to need some easy reads. Nora Roberts might feature too...

I'm no expert but I really can't imagine that emails will be as useful as diaries to future writers!

Vallypee said...

Gosh, Cath. I am very impressed with your list. There is quite some meat there and not much light, easy reading. Well done you. I'm lucky if I get through three books in a month!

Cath said...

Val: I think four or five of the books were fairly light and easy and the rest were not too bad. I think you're much busier than me in all kinds of ways so three books a month is actually pretty good!

I mentioned to you on Twitter that we're waiting to see if we have Covid, the one thing that will help if I do have it is that I have tons of books to read! LOL

Susan said...

DEAR MRS. BIRD is a great one! It's a WWII novel, but it's actually very funny. That surprised me, given its setting. I hope you enjoy it!

Cath said...

Susan: I'm loving Dear Mrs. Bird, 'so' funny. It surprised me too to be honest, it's not a subject or setting which should be funny, but it is.

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

Wow! You are off to a great start with your reading and your challenges by the sounds of things.

I have to admit that my range of vintage crime writers read, doesn't extend to Michael Gilbert, although I do aim to rectify that and keep a keen eye open for his books when I am out and about.

I had forgotten all about Ellery Queen until Sam mentioned them here and as I know I never got around to reading anything like all of their books, that's another name on my vintage crime 'watch list'!

I have only ever read one Nora Roberts book, and I do remember not being particularly blown away by that one. Perhaps I shouldn't give up so easily though, as her books are widely praised out here in Blogland!

Happy February Reading! :)

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Hi Cath, so sorry you and your husband had to worry about possible Covid exposure effects. It does sound as though you've made good use out of hunkering down by the looks of all the books that you have read. Fabulous January. I loved An Elderly Lady is Up to No Good. Your description on the book by Tey makes me want to rush out and read this on and I'm also curious about: Dear Mrs Bird.....great finds.

BTW: The Wintering was on my January list but, I never got to it so perhaps I will try to read it this month - not too long.

Have a great month. I will be posting my January/ February bookish update today or tomorrow. Take Care Cath!

Cath said...

Yvonne: Yes, I've hit the ground running with the challenges, though I'm positive my enthusiasm will wane at some stage!

Michael Gilbert is well worth keeping an eye out for but I don't recall ever seeing any of his books in charity shops to be honest.

Ellory Queen is an author I've never read and wouldn't have a clue where to start. I don't tend towards American vintage authors, preferring their more modern output.

I've found that Nora Roberts varies a 'lot'. My daughter is a huge fan and even she stresses that. I think my tastes as regards her might be more towards her standalone books and I have a couple more to try.

Cath said...

Diane: Thank you. By and large we've been ok, just mild symptoms. Which is why I was so shocked to get a negative test as I was certain we'd got a mild dose. I'm going to act as though we have had it and we'll not be venturing out well into until next week.

Yes, an excellent January, bookwise, and a good start to February. I'm very pleased. I highly recommend Dear Mrs. Bird, it's absolutely delightful.