Thursday 11 January 2024

First books of 2024.

Unlike January 2023, 'this' year has started well as regards books. (Last year started with The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern and Lagoon by Nnedi Okorafar neither of which were all that great, in fact the latter got my only 2 star rating of 2023, if memory serves.)  My first book, The Awakening by Nora Roberts, was unfinished from 2023, so doesn't really feel like the first book for this year, but Children of Time does and it was an excellent book to start a new year with.

First up, The Awakening by Nora Roberts. My daughter recommended this trilogy and, although I'm not a massive fan of the author's Fey, Irish books, I'm nevertheless  willing to try almost anything. 

Breen Kelly lives in Philadelphia, sharing a flat with her gay best friend, Marco. She's a teacher who hates teaching but was rather forced into it by a domineering mother who has convinced Breen that she will never be more than 'average'. Looking after her mother's house one day, while her mother is away, Breen discovers that she has money, lots of it, left to her by her Irish father who disappeared when she was 10: her mother has kept this information from her. It is life changing of course and Breen makes the decision to go to Ireland to see if she can discover what happened to her father and also to see if she can kick-start the writing career that she's always dreamed of. So that's how the story begins. It turns into something very different of course as Breen discovers a portal into another realm and thus where her father went and the family she never knew about. I haven't read enough of Nora Roberts' Fey books, set in Ireland, to judge whether this is a good representation of them or not. (I read one, eons ago, and wasn't struck.) So, I have to judge it on its own merit as something new to me, and I did actually rather enjoy it. Yes, it was quite predictable, and I did think it got a bit bogged down in the detail of Breen's 'learning' in the middle. I also found the hero character rather abrasive but suspect his appeal is not aimed at a jaded old biddy like me. But what I loved was the setting on the west coast of Ireland. It shone like a wonderful character in its own right and oh gosh would I love a cottage like that on the shores of a bay in Ireland. Wild and woolly, Atlantic storms, what's not to love? The other realm was well depicted too and I did rather like the people she found there. So, swings and roundabouts but basically a success with me and I will read book 2, The Becoming, sometime this year, luckily my local library has it. 

So, in my mind, my first book of 2024 was Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky. This is a sweeping space opera of a book which I've been meaning to read since I bought it in 2022. 

Hmm, this one's going to be difficult to describe. So, there's this planet which is being terraformed by the last of a sort of super-race from Earth, Dr. Avrana Kern. She presses the button, so to speak, releases a capsule of monkeys who carry a virus which means they will advance quickly, but there's a sabateur on her ship, all goes pear-shaped, and she has no idea whether said monkeys survive to inhabit the planet. Fast forward a couple of thousand years and her brain is inside a computer when another ship approaches. It's from Earth and is an Ark ship, carrying the remnants of the civilisation that followed Kern's. Earth is dead and thousands of people in stasis have nowhere to go, except Kern's planet. She's not having any of that for one reason or another and sends them on their way, but not before they get a glimpse of what is actually on the planet and the civilisation it's building. So, I've tried to make this spoiler free although anyone who knows of this book is probably aware of the twist. This is my first book by sci-fi writer, Adrian Tchaikovsky. His reputation goes before him so I was intrigued to read something and I was not disappointed. I'd heard that characteristaion was not his strongest point and I would say, yes, perhaps. People talk about his world building and that I would very much agree with. The beings on the planet, the world they have created: brilliant. The book is written from two perspectives, that of the people on the ship coming from Earth and that of the inhabitants of the planet. I preferred the latter but both were excellent. There were difficult decisions, ethical dilemmas, both on the ship and on the planet. It was fascinating. And the end surprised me. I gave this one 5 stars on Goodreads, if 4.5 was available it probably would've got that as I did think it wouldn't have harmed to lose a few pages. But all in all an amazing sci-fi read and as it's part one of a trilogy I'll be reading on sometime this year.

So, two very good books to start my reading for 2024. One hundred per cent better than last year. I hope you too have started your reading year well? Also that you're staying safe and well. Happy January reading.


21 comments:

Margot Kinberg said...

I have to admit, Cath, I've not read a lot of Roberts, but that trilogy does sound interesting. I'm glad it worked for you. I'm honestly not a sci-fi reader as a rule; it's just not my thing. But I do appreciate a novel that explores larger issues like that. I'm glad you enjoyed this.

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

Looks like you are off to a flying start with your reading this year!

I had thought that maybe I would enjoy the NR mini series, but on second thoughts and after reading your review, have decided it probably isn't for me. I have read a few of her stand alone novels, however that was some time ago now, as I started to find her writing a bit 'formulaic' and the storylines quite predictable.

I'm pleased you enjoyed both books though and can't wait to see what you have lined up next :)

Cath said...

Margot: I haven't read heaps of Roberts's books either. A lot of them are not really my thing but some of her standalone mystery/thriller books are not bad. The Irish fey ones are another matter but The Awakening was actually quite readable, mainly I think because of the glorious setting.

Cath said...

Yvonne: Yes, a much better start than last year.

Hmmm... I'm in agreement that the NR is probably not for you. I'm completely with you on her writing being formulaic but goodness me she's done well out of that! And that said, her standalones are not actually bad reads... I like that she varies their settings in the USA.

Thank you. I'm just finishing off a couple of non-fictions and then will probably read several crime books back to back.

Hope you and Dave are doing a bit better now?

Sam said...

I'm not a fan of Nora Roberts books but that plot does sound interesting. Seems like she's been around forever, but she's not someone I've ever read even though I've flipped through a couple of hers in the bookstore. She always struck me as someone who writes strictly for a female audience, but maybe I've misjudged her.

That scifi title sounds like fun...and very different from the Nora Roberts one you finished up from last year. I put that one on my TBR for a little more digging.

Stay well.

Kathy's Corner said...

Hi Cath, Glad to hear that this year's books are starting out well. I have read two books by Nora Roberts. One book was Dance Upoon The Air which I really liked and the other I didn't finish because it's about a heroine who js a gardner/landscaper and gardening not an interest of mine.

But what I got from these two books is that Nora Roberts writes very well and what's so impressive is that she has written possibly 200 noveks by now? And at that rate you would think her novels would have an assembly line quality to them. But I have read these two books and the writing very good and Roberts takes time crafting the story so it holds the reader's interest.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I had no idea that Nora Roberts wrote books of this genre!

Lark said...

It's nice when you start off the year with some really good reads! I've run across several of Adrian Tchaikovsky's books on Goodreads, but I've never read any. Good to know that you liked Children of Time so much. He's an author I'd like to check out sometime. Enjoy your weekend, Cath! :D

Cath said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cath said...

Sam: No, I think you're right that Nora Roberts does write mainly for a female audience. Her books might be mysteries and fantasy but there is always a very strong romance element to them too. And she is rather formulaic, even the standalone mysteries.

The sci-fi was a very different kettle of fish to Nora Roberts and much more likely to appeal to you in my opinion. Not much romance in that, LOL!

Cath said...

Kathy: Yes, Nora Roberts is 'really' prolific, she must do nothing other than write! I do think there is a bit of a formulaic feel to her books, and a lot of people like that. I don't mind the occasional book by her but could not live on a diet of those alone. I'm the kind of reader who needs a lot of variety.

Cath said...

Deb: Yes she does 'but' I might be inclined to call them romantic fantasy rather than traditional fantasy where there might be some romance but it takes second place to the main action.

Cath said...

Lark: Yes, I do like to start the year with good books. :-) AT is 'well' worth checking out... this book was so thought provoking. Thank you, you too!

Kay said...

I like what your said about the Nora Roberts book, Cath! I have read a lot of her trilogies over the years, some of them more than once. This is one that I was waiting until all 3 were published to start. Will definitely try to get to it this year. I do like her jumps into fantasy and witchy places. Plus a bit of romance as well. My reading is going well and I'm happy with it so far in 2024. Take care and hope you are recovering well after your tumble recently. :-)

TracyK said...

I will definitely look into Children of Time by Tchaikovsky. I have enjoyed that type of book about colonising a planet and this sounds a bit different. And if I like the looks of it I will put it on a list because I am not purchasing books for a while.

I have avoided reading Nora Roberts and maybe someday I should give something by her a try. A while back I had the start of a very long mystery series by her, but I sampled it and did not like what I saw. But with as many fans as she has, I should be able to find something I would like.

Cath said...

Kay: Thank you! It sounds like you're as much of a NR fan as my daughter who has also read a lot of trilogies you mention. I hope you enjoy this one when you get to it, this first book was very enjoyable.

Yes thanks, I'm recovering well from my fall. My head is still bruised and lumpy but much less so that it was. Thanks for asking.

Cath said...

Tracy: Children of Time is well worth looking into. Positive reviews of it are all over Booktube so I was expecting to enjoy it and did.

I think if you give NR a try it should be one of her standalone mysteries. Those do stand up whereas I think her fantasy romances are not for everyone. I think the one you sampled was probably from her 'In Death' series. It has about 50 books in it. And it also has a lot of fans, I know several people who have read all of them and avidly await new releases. I quite liked the first book but so far have not picked up any more, which says something I think.

CLM said...

I enjoy Nora Roberts' books although they are formulaic and some are much better than others. I tend to prefer the romantic suspense and avoid the paranormal books. But for years I avoided her Death series, which are set in the future in New York - then I picked up Naked in Death and loved it. I will never catch up on this series - I am on book 20 and I think she is up to 58.

She wrote one series set in the town she lives in in Maryland in which one friend runs a bookstore, one an inn, and one a restaurant (I think they fell in love with three brothers). About ten or so years ago, I dragged my brother and his family there. Unfortunately, we made several stops on the way from DC and by the time we got to Boonsboro, the inn was not allowing anyone inside, the bookstore was closed, and the children were asleep in the car so we had to eat in shifts at the pizza place. I'd like to go back but it was not close to DC at all.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/reliable-source/post/romance-novelist-nora-roberts-and-her-big-love-affair-with-small-town-boonsboro-md/2011/10/23/gIQAHIdeAM_blog.html

Vallypee said...

I do like your willingness to give anything a go, Cath. I've been recommended Nora Robert on many occasions but have yet to read one of her books!

Cath said...

Constance: Yes, I think I might also be the kind of Nora Robert's reader who prefers her romantic suspense over the supernatural ones. I actually had a copy of book 2 in this series in my hand in the library yesterday but put it back as I'm not ready to go back to that world just yet. I picked up 2 Agatha Christies instead (and several others...)

Oh dear, your story of missing the inn and bookstore in that town is a bit tragic. I hope you have better luck another time.

Cath said...

Val: Well, I wouldn't quite say that I will give 'anything' a go but I'm fairly flexible. If you do try Nora Roberts be selective about what you pick up.