Wednesday 24 January 2024

Mudlarking by Lara Maiklem

I'm always on the look-out for readable, fun, but informative, non-fiction books to read. I was lucky last year and found quite a few, some of which I featured in my Best Non-fiction of 2023 post. I say 'lucky' but I put a lot of effort in finding just the right books that will keep me reading day after day and not bore me to tears. So far this month I've read three non-fiction books and it was when I got to the third one that I found my first 'gem'. 

 


Mudlarking: Lost and Found on the River Thames by Lara Maiklem is the author's debut book, first published in 2019. There was a bit of hype about it, I seem to recall. I saw articles on TV, thought it sounded like my kind of quirky read, and made a mental note to read it at some stage: here I am in 2024 just getting to it. Better late than never but also I'm a great believer in the idea that the appropriate book will find you when the time is right to read it. 

Lara Maiklem is not actually a born and bred Londoner, she was a farm girl drawn to London, as many people are, by the idea of the bright lights and possibilities of city life. It was years before she discovered the river, but once she did and started to see that there were things on the foreshore, washed up or stuck in the mud, that these things were often historical in nature and that the collecting of them is known as 'Mudlarking', she has not looked back.

A lot of people apparently do not know that The Thames is a tidal river. I'm not sure I did until I was in my forties and started to go to London occasionally, before that I had not given the matter any thought. The tidal head of the river is at Teddington apparently and it's also the limit of the Thames Waterman license, which is one of those iconic occupations that seems to belong to the world of Charles Dickens. In fact, mudlarking has been going on since then when it was urchins who were scouring the foreshore, looking for things to sell so they could eat. These days it's a hobby, but you need a license and that's not easy to get as the amount of people wanting to do it have rocketed and the the authorities have had to cap the numbers.

We're told that mudlarkers tend to fall into two categories, Hunters and Gatherers. By and large, men do the former, women the latter. Women stroll along the foreshore picking up what they see, men come armed with metal detectors and shovels and start digging, (although you're only allowed to dig to a certain depth: the rules are very strict). For some reason this amused me and rang true. (And reminded me of The Accidental Detectorist by Nigel Richardson, another gem of a book.)

Maiklem organises her book into chapters headed with areas of London that are on the river - Hammersmith, Vauxhall Bridge, London Bridge, Tower beach, The Pool of London, Greenwich, Tilbury, Wapping and so on. These are the areas where she searches and often finds her treasures. When I say 'treasure' I don't mean hoards of gold doubloons, although she has found a lot of coins, what I mean is artifacts that are ordinary things which historical Londoners have used or worn over the years, dating back to Roman times. It seems that city dwellers have been dumping their rubbish into the river for centuries, in fact at one stage The Thames was declared 'a dead river' because of it, but since then it's been cleaned up and fish have now returned.

I could go on and on about this book. It is a 'delight'. It's one of those books that combines an author's present day search or experiences of their subject with nuggets of historical information on the finds. So we hear about Henry VIII and his palace at Greenwich, the sewage problem Victorians faced (The Great Stink), the notorious Thames fogs, the history of the pipes used for smoking, coin production, about how a beach in front of the Tower of London was converted into a proper beach for Londoners to use, the list is endless and I loved every single chapter. It is extremely strong on atmosphere - London and its history, the river, the people who lived and worked along it - they live and breathe in this book. And like all wonderful books it's made me look at my shelves to see what else I have to read that's connected. So I have:

London Clay - Tom Chivers

Thames: Sacred River - Peter Ackroyd

Old London Bridge - Patricia Pierce

1700 - Scenes from London Life -  Maureen Waller

London Fog -  Christine L. Corton

And fiction:

Our Mutual Friend - Charles Dickens

The Port of London Murders - Josephine Bell 

So, that's just by having a cursory look at my bookshelves and Kindle. Suspect a serious search will reveal more but that's enough to last me through the year on a casual basis because that's how I'm reading this year... casually, according to my mood.  

So, Mudlarking was my first 5 star non-fiction book of 2024. I hope, hope, hope there are more to come in this vein. And if you're interested in London, British social history, rivers, books about people with a serious  quirky hobby, then I cannot recommend this fantastic book highly enough.


26 comments:

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

Described as a 'Golden Age' mystery crime writer, Josephine Bell is another new to me author, who is definitely heading for my list! Although I'm not sure which list that is, as my TBR pile is drowning and my wish list is totally out of control - Any ideas what I can call this new hoard?? :) :)

Last year, my SIL and her husband navigated part of the Thames on their narrowboat and although this year has them planning to head across from their Northampton mooring into Wales, I know they want to make a London return very soon, as they enjoyed the trip so much. For them, the highlight was to manage to find an official mooring spot right at the bottom of the lawn at Hampton Court, where they spent a lovely day meeting up with friends.

'Mudlarking' sounds like my kind of non-fiction reading, a book I can dip in and out of without getting too bogged down!

Happy Reading :)

Cath said...

Yvonne: How are you and Dave feeling now? Hopefully improved from the last time we spoke?

I don't know Josephine Bell's writing either, but she's written a 'lot' of books so it's time I tried her. I have to say, that cover sucked me in too. Plus, it goes nicely with this London/Thames vibe I have at the moment.

I'm fascinated by your relatives' narrowboat adventures. Fancy being able to moor up at the bottom of Hampton Court! Wow!

Mudlarking is definitely an easy book to read by dipping in and out.

Take care and thanks for stopping by to comment. :-)

Kathy's Corner said...

Our Mutual Friend is on my bucket list to read. And so glad you enjoyed Mudlarking. I was thinking paleontologists have a similar passion but for them it's looking for fossils. But through mudlarrking one might be able to find items going gack to Roman times its exciting.

Margot Kinberg said...

What a fascinating occupation, Cath! I'd never heard of people doing that before. I can certainly see it, though, in a river like the Thames. I'd imagine there are all sorts of treasures to be found, too. And what a great way to share some information about the river itself, too. Glad you enjoyed it.

Sue in Suffolk said...

I know I've read Mudlarking and enjoyed it but it's not in my Book of Books read so it's a bit of a mystery - and I'll have to borrow it again to make sure.

Cath said...

Kathy: I planned to read Our Mutual Friend last year and didn't get to it so I'm determined to do it this year. I agree about paleontologists, I watch them on TV sometimes, at work in Wyoming and it's absolutely fascinating. I love all that kind of thing... missed my vocation I think.

Cath said...

Margot: People have been mudlarking for centuries but it's only just come to the public's attention here because of the books that are suddenly being written about it. Some of the finds discussed in the book are absolutely amazing!

Cath said...

Sue: If you have an online account with your library it should hold a list of all the books you've taken out over the years.

Lark said...

I'm so happy to hear that you loved this one so much because I have it on my TBR list already. It sounds utterly fascinating, and one I would love, too. And my library has a copy of it. Yay! Now I just have to figure out when I'll be able to check it out (which gets tricky with all the other books I want to read). ;D

FictionFan said...

I enjoyed London Fog a few years ago. If memory serves me right, it added umpteen books to my TBR, though, so you've been warned! The Port of London Murders is good too, and also foggy. And of course, Dickens! Enjoy your reading!

Mystica said...

I’ve read about mud larking (a world removed from where I live). This is such an interesting post.thank you.

TracyK said...

This does sound like a very interesting subject and I am glad that it suited you so well. It is amazing that you have to have a license to do it, although I can see that would make sense. I looked it up on Amazon here and it is still pretty expensive in all formats, but I will keep an eye out for it.

Sam said...

I've really got to find this one...thanks so much for reviewing it, Cath. The most fascinating thing to me while living in London those few years was the Thames. I could almost see it from my bedroom window during the colder seasons, and walked across the Richmond Bridge seven days a week to get to the train station or to do some shopping, etc. My favorite pub used to sometimes have a couple of inches of water inside during high tide because it sits so close to the river. And I was so closed to the long-gone castle of Elizabeth I that I heard lots of stories about what was tossed into the river when the locals got permission to scavenge the old castle for building materials.

Now I'm off to find the book...thanks.

Cath said...

LarK: Oh definitely worth finding a space to check this one out, your taste is really similar to mine so I think you would love it too. :-)

Cath said...

FictionFan: Yes, London Fog certainly does look like the kind of book that will add to my tbr mountain! I'm so looking forward to The Port of London Murders, the cover is gorgeous too...

Cath said...

Mystica: Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed my ramblings about 'Mudlarking'.

Cath said...

Tracy: Yes, the license things is a bit odd, I'm not sure about the fairness of that and how you can stop people walking along the foreshore picking things up. That said, I suppose they think there's a need to control the numbers now that it's so popular, but still...

Cath said...

Sam: You're welcome. I have to keep to my end of the bargain to read and review the quirky books! LOL! We only visited London, I've never lived there, it must've been an interesting time. I have been on the river a few times though. Mainly taking water taxis to Greenwich as it was quicker and nicer than the train. We also did a tourist trip to the Thames Water Barrier one time, with accompanying talk on the history of the river. The Museum of the Docklands was also our favourite museum of the ones we went to.

Vallypee said...

Oh Cath, I too absolutely loved Mudlarking. I'm so glad you enjoyed it too!

Cath said...

Val: Oh, you read it too? Excellent, so glad you loved it too.

Nan said...

Oh,boy does this ever sound good. I know I will love it.

CLM said...

I definitely want to read this but have to wait until I am in a nonfiction frame of mind.

Sam said...

I found it over on Amazon, Cath, after figuring out that my library system doesn't have a copy. Looks like over here it's called "Mudlark" instead of "Mudlarking."

Cath said...

Nan: Oh boy, 'YES', this is 'just' your kind of book, believe me.

Cath said...

Constance: I hope your non-fiction muse arrives soon as this is a good one. :-)

Cath said...

Sam: Well found! I hope you enjoy it, having lived in London for a few years I have a feeling you will.