Wednesday 2 April 2014

Books read in March

March was another pretty good reading month for me. Ten books read again, bringing my total up to thirty books read so far this year. I suppose at some stage I'll slow down but at the moment ten books a month is feeling pretty comfortable. It could be I'm reading faster and also being inspired by the challenges I'm doing this year, including the start of Carl's Once Upon a Time VIII one a week or so ago.

Anyway, these are the books:

21. The Nine Tailors - Dorothy L. Sayers

22. Touch Not the Cat - Mary Stewart

23. Sisters of Sinai - Janet Soskice

24. West With the Night - Beryl Markham

25. Fer-de-Lance - Rex Stout

26. The Middle-aged Mountaineer - Jim Curran

27. Gentleman of Fortune - Anna Dean

28. A Woman of Consequence - Anna Dean. I haven't reviewed these last two because it's sometimes impossible to review everything. They're books two and three in the Dido Kent series and suffice it to say I absolutely love the series and each one is a delightful read.

29. Among Others - Jo Walton

30. Madame Maigret's Own Case - Georges Simenon (To be reviewed)

So that was March's reading. Funny how the first book is only four weeks ago but feels like years. I'm pleased with three non-fictions, all of which were interesting books, in the case of West with the Night quite enthralling actually. Several of the fictions were also excellent, The Nine Tailors, Among Others and the two Anna Deans. Of those four I think the award for my favourite book of the month goes to:


Brilliant book which will stay with me for a long time.

~~~oOo~~~

10 comments:

Elaine said...

Nine Tailors. Book that started off my love of Wimsey

Elaine said...

Nine Tailors. Book that started off my love of Wimsey

DesLily said...

wow, another great reading month for you!..

just so you remember, I still love my "sis" and miss feeling human..add to this i think booboo is dieing..more anxiety.

read some more good ones for me!xoxo

Kailana said...

Looks like you had a great March!

Penny O'Neill said...

Just yesterday, I picked up Among Others, put it down to look at another book, and there it sits. I remember thinking you had reviewed it, Cath, then, well, see what happens when one is distracted? Actually, I picked up a non-fiction, which I'm engrossed in as it is well written, and is all about the horrific winters/blizzards that tortured the prairies in the 1880's. Laura Ingalls Wilder is mentioned as giving a very accurate account of what truly happened.

Peggy Ann said...

I read the first in the Anna Dean books and loved it. I think my library has them I'll have to finish them one of these days! Nice list of reads for the month, Cath!

BooksPlease said...

It must have been on your blog that I read about the first Anna Dean book, A Moment of Silence? I thought it looked familiar when I was in my son's library and picked it up from the library sale table for 20p and wondered where I'd read about it.

I'll be starting The Nine Tailors soon - it's my book group book for April.

Cath said...

Elaine: Mine started with your recommendation to start with Strong Poison, which I did, and have not looked back. So thank you for that.

Pat: Yeah, pretty good. Really sorry to hear about Boo. You take care.

Kelly: Yeah, I really did it seems!

Penny: I love the sound of what you're reading! I hope you do a post about it when you've finished.

Peggy: The Dido Kent books are just charming, I have the last book to read and am hoping for more after that.

Margaret: 20p for A Moment of Silence is what you might call a bargain. Good spot.

I hope you enjoy The Nine Tailors. I wonder if your book group will also like it.

Susan said...

I have the first Anna Dean book! It's top of my TBR mystery pile because of your review! lol It does look intriguing. My piles of books to read are so high that I really need a month off to just sit and read books. Maybe two months....

I read Dorothy Sayers many years ago in my early 20's, but all the people reading and enjoying her now are making me want to reread her again! lol

I'm so happy you enjoyed Among Others so much :-) That was quite a fun book, filled with so many ideas about books and how they can shape us and help us get through life.

Cath said...

Susan: I hope you like the Anna Dean when you get to it. I have the last one to read and am saving it for a bit because there doesn't seem to be any news of any more coming soon. :-(

Yes, loads of people reading Dorothy L. Sayers now. I love these 1920s and 30s authors... am in the middle of a John Buchan, Huntingtower, and loving it to bits.

I'm getting quite addicted to books about books so Among Others was perfect for me. And she really went for it... no cursory mention of liking books, but precise titles, discussion about authors, whether they were worth reading. Now *that* is a book about books. Wonderful