Tuesday 11 November 2014

Victorian Bingo Challenge 2015

Well, like a true book nerd, I've been giving some thought over the last week or two to what kind of reading year I want 2015 to be. That kind of navel gazing is for another post but when I saw the following challenge advertised I realised it would fit very nicely with some of my thoughts and plans.

So here we go, this is The Victorian Bingo Challenge and it's being hosted by Becky at Becky's Book Reviews.


Details:

The first Bingo card is for 2015. The goal is to get a Bingo (horizontal, vertical, diagonal, four corners and center square). This will require a minimum of five books.

One book per square. For example: Oliver Twist can count for "Book with a name as the title" or "Charles Dickens" or "Book published 1837-1940" or "Book published in serial format" or "Book over 400 pages" or "Book that has been adapted into a movie" or "Book set in England." But obviously, it can only count once.

This is the bingo card:


(I have to say, I really love the category choices.)

More details:


1. Fiction or nonfiction.

2. Books, e-books, audio books all are fine.

3. Books and movies can be reviewed together or separately.

4. You can create a reading list if you want, but it's not a requirement.

5. If you do make a list, consider adding a list of five books you'd recommend to others

6. If possible try to try a new-to-you author! I know it can be really tempting to stick with familiar favorites.

7. Children's books published during these years should not be forgotten!

8. Rereads are definitely allowed if you have favorites!

9. A blog is not required, a review is not required, but, if you don't review please consider sharing what you read in a comment with one or two sentences of 'reaction' or 'response.'

10. For the 2015 challenge, any qualifying book FINISHED January through December 2015 counts. OR any qualifying book REVIEWED January through December 2015 counts.

Ok so those're the challenge details. A list is not required, especially in my case as I rarely keep to them *cough*. But I always like to take a photo of some of the books I *could* read so here... *drumroll*... it is:


Click on the pic of course to see the books properly. If I can get five of those off my tbr pile in 2015 I would be so chuffed with myself. I've not read any George Eliot or Amelia Edwards, so those would be my 'new-to-me' authors. I'll also be reading some more Anthony Trollope and have several on my Kindle to choose from. I will also give some thought to some children's books, possibly a reread of The Water Babies by Charles Kingsley which I read as a young teen and loved and am curious as to how I would react to it now. We'll see. Really looking forward to starting this challenge and thanks to Becky for hosting it.
~~~oOo~~~

12 comments:

BooksPlease said...

Cath, I've not done any of these bingo challenges as they always seem a bit complicated, but this one looks tempting. So I'm going to look at my books to see if they fit the categories - it doesn't seem too difficult if it only involves reading five books! Sometimes I think I enjoy matching my unread books to the categories as much as reading the books!

I've had my eye on The Mill on the Floss for a few years. I've read some of Scenes of Clerical Life but not all of it - so there are two for a start.

Val said...

I'm rubbish at challenges but this does look rather tempting .....


goes off to have a ponder and check when books were written...have you ever noticed how vital it is to research such matters immediately rather than self indulgently enjoy the housework that is waiting ????

Cath said...

Margaret: I felt like that until I actually tried one in the shape of the Vintage Mystery Bingo last year. It was really quite simple and huge fun so don't be put off. Yes, just one line of 5 books required though I assume you can read more if you want. Mill on the Floss is a book I've had my eye on for years too so I really want to read it for this challenge.

Val: Oh crikey yes, much more necessary to be self-sacrificing and do book research... ;-)

DesLily said...

Hooray for Woman in White!! you know I like Wilkie! I know you'll enjoy your challenge lol

DesLily said...

ps: I never read the small Collins book on the bottom.. let me know how you like it if you get to it !

Cath said...

Pat: Yep, I know you and Wilkie are firm friends. lol

I definitely plan to read the one about his walking in Cornwall and will let you know if I like it.

Peggy Ann said...

Cath, I didn't do too well with my challenges this year. Not sure if I want to do any other than Read Scotland next year. I didn't care for the Bingo style challenge either. But this sounds good and maybe some of my Scottish books would count. I'll have to figure out the details! I'm glad you posted this so early!

Cath said...

Peggy: My efforts with my challenges have been mixed. Some I've done extra well on but a couple, not so good. I did like the bingo one I did - Vintage Mysteries - and am looking forward to doing another.

BooksPlease said...

You've persuaded me to have a go, Cath!

Cath said...

Good luck, Margaret!

Susan said...

Cath, that looks so fun! You are doing so well with your challenges this year, you might complete them all, which is fabulous to see. You have been reading some very good books too. I wish I could be sure of being able to read more any time soon, I would consider this challenge as a possibility since I have so many Charles Dickens and George Eliots waiting to be read. I hope you really enjoy this challenge over the coming year, Cath.

Cath said...

Susan: Of the five I've been doing this year (not counting Carl's) I think I'll complete three. Rather, I have completed three and will likely as not not finish the other two. With one I bit off more than I could chew and the other I kind of lost my enthusiam for it, although I only have two books to read to finish it so I may still do it. Next year I plan not to do quite as many. LOL!